Can I have these cables reterminated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I have these cables reterminated?

I've got two pair of Gryphon Guideline PSC 1 speaker cables. As can be seen in the photo below, the cables are not traditionally terminated and, instead, use an notched extension of the silver "wire" as a kind of spade. I've got a few components with which these terminations are incompatible and would like to have these traditionally terminated if possible.

Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1267.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	143800
    Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Proteus; VPI Prime Signature, VdH Crimson XGW, VAS Nova Mono;
    Unmounted: VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8

Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
    Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii
    Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon speaker cables

It's no big deal, you can have a spade soldered on, just make sure to use pure silver and a premium solder.

Comment

Have you checked with the US Gryphon distributor Philip O’Hanlon/On A Higher Note?
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
        Have you checked with the US Gryphon distributor Philip O’Hanlon/On A Higher Note?
        I have. They said it will take a few days to get back to me.

Ideally, they would be terminated like their newer production cables:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	gryphonPSC_Ref.jpg Views:	0 Size:	753.3 KB ID:	143810
        Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Proteus; VPI Prime Signature, VdH Crimson XGW, VAS Nova Mono;

Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
        Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii
        Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon speaker cables

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanb View Post

I have. They said it will take a few days to get back to me.

Ideally, they would be terminated like their newer production cables:
          Click image for larger version Name:	gryphonPSC_Ref.jpg Views:	0 Size:	753.3 KB ID:	143810
          I am sure Philip will do you good.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

That retermination looks like a much smaller gauge wire connected to the original much larger wire. I would not want to choke down a speaker cable like that.
            PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
            Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear. Founding Member Adio-Ultra.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
              That retermination looks like a much smaller gauge wire connected to the original much larger wire. I would not want to choke down a speaker cable like that.
              I guess that's why my cables were modified and terminated the way they are. The US distributor just informed me that these cables were originally terminated with a flat spade that was soldered to the flat silver wire and that Gryphon no longer has any remaining stock of that spade.

Comment

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                Problem is, that cable looks excellent as is. A very pure transition from the cable to the clamping point. No extra metals or connecrions. Can you at a minimum file the tip more round to allow it to slip into a tighter space. My mind says adding wire and terminations will reduce its performance.

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                I just looked at the spade termination they added. Its not only a thin wire, its also gold spades. That may radically change the tone the unmodified cable presents now.

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                https://www.thecableco.com/diy-cable...-set-of-4.html

Get someone who can take 2 needle nose pliers, pry this open, pound the surface flat and drill an hole in it. Then bolt it to your existing cable. Put deox between the 2. If it does not sound good. take it off. Nothing lost.
            Working...
            X