Anyone elevating your cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone elevating your cables?

I've always been a doubter, but experimented today with elevating my cables and heard more focus, clarity than with the cables on the floor.

What type of floor covering, tile, wood, synthetic fabric carpet or whatever do you have? I can imagine that anything that has a electrical potential to store energy with or without a good ground, could have some kind of interaction with the cable that may be audible under the right conditions. What did you use for elevators?

Comment

I use the original and gen2 of the Shunyata elevators. The original are part foam with a V-shaped notch. Split in half they work very well as support between a heavy C19 power cord at its receptacle and the shelf. I use a few for cable management (over/under). There's probably a sonic benefit obtained from keeping cables from touching/laying on.one another. My 7m run from linestage to amp lay on the floor. Cable management is a pita.

Comment

I do. See my post on how to do it cheap in our DIY section.

Comment

My flooring is French Travertine tile.... have a large rug in the room as well, but not under the componenets and cable. I tried toilet cardboard roll centers cut in rings of about 1 1/2.

Comment

• DetroitVinylRob
            DetroitVinylRob commented
            Editing a comment
            As long as you are not listening to an Italian or German operetta I’m confident the travertine should have little deleterious effects, ah?

I make floor racks from a length of 2x2 fir or any soft wood( length is determined by how many cables need to be elevated) and drill in 1"x 25" pegs spaced at 1.5 " The cables can then be positioned as if it was on a cable rack. The important part of elevation is to keep air around the cables and power away from the signal. Most of my signal cable I float in mid air with plenty of vertical distance from the power cables. ( The EMI pollutes the signal cables when power and signal are in close proximity to each other) I do this because I do not like shielded signal cables.( everything is a trade off) shields can deaden the sound. It is a good idea to shield the power cables, however that alone does not solve the problem
          I doubt that what you hear was from lifting them off the floor but because inadvertently you created more air space between and around your cables.

Don

Comment

I'm currently using a mix of Acoustic Revive RCI-3H & Shunyata DFE V1 & V2 risers, though I plan on replacing my DFE V1's with custom Massif Audio Design risers (for stacking) over time. Generally i'm a believer in hard wood risers over wunda foam or plastic these days & find it does settle things down nicely as the OP described.

Comment

I used to be much more religious about the use of cable elevators. Part of the reason is that short stiff cables prove difficult to use with cable elevators (here either the plastic cable towers or the Shunyata Gen 2 elevators). Plus a lack of space. While I still use cable elevators, they are mostly used to keep AC power cords away from ICs and speaker cables. Interestingly, there's an edge added to the music when PCs and ICs are mixed.

One thing I found with the old Transparent Audio speaker cables was isolating the box from the carpet also helped. While the boxes did come with their own spikes, I found some better results using Goldmund cones between the boxes and the carpet. I haven't tried this with the new Gen 5 cables.
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
              -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
              -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
              -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Just simple Cardas myrtle blocks here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.JPG
Views:	1456
Size:	978.7 KB
ID:	66242
                Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

I use the same as Tim. No real big benefits since I don't have wall to wall carpet. Mainly I use them to keep dust bunnies from forming and to help keep cables at better angles from each other. They help greatly in those regards.

Comment

If I can DIY it I tend to. I'm using blocks of 2-inch thick foam rubber cut into a V-block shape. Rubber as an electrical insulator. Ceramic and glass would also insulate. The object is to mitigate induction of static electricity that may or may not be within the carpet. Wood, by the way, is not much of an insulator.

This foam was acquired from a foam supplier that tends to market to upholstery shops. Y-20 is what they called it. My cutting method was crude. I used a serrated bread knife as the instrument of my butchery.
                    -Steve
                    PS: system photo is a bit out of date. I'm not using, at the moment, the TD124 in slate, nor the laptop.
                    Last edited by user510; 11-08-2017, 01:06 PM.
                    webmaster at The Analog Dept.
                    system list:Classe' CAP 151 integrated, Carver TX-11b Tuner, NHT 2.9 Speakers, Thorens TD124 ( plus other Thorens models), Otari MX-5050 BII-2 R2R, Jolida JD100 cd player, ML-9600 digital recorder

Comment

• Bodhi
                      Bodhi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice job Steve . Those foam blocks would splash down my Shunyata DFE V1's!

• user510
                      user510 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      At least they will float in the event of any splash down.;-)

Give your cables a helping hand

Chris
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------
                    Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

• Bodhi
                      Bodhi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ✋️😆

• rockitman
                      rockitman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mannequin hands ? Cool

• Hawk
                      Hawk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      How many crash test dummies sacrificed themselves so you can enjoy better sound?

Or a DIY that actually works,

Chris
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------
                    Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                      Joe Pittman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you left some paper on the roll, it would be more absorbent.

• cpp
                      cpp commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL, and maybe that paper will change the overall sound of that cable , LOL

Originally posted by cpp View Post
                    Or a DIY that actually works,
                    Toilet paper roll, toothpick and a rubber band, that is an ingenious way to recycle.If you stuff the roll with cotton you might notice a wider sound-stage

Comment

• cpp
                      cpp commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey don, if a toilet paper roll is not providing that magical elevation, there is always paper towel rolls

Bricks and limestone -

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-30 20.58.07-1.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	66624

Comment

• RandyRobinson
                      RandyRobinson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The limestone is local - Kansas. Both were used for our home's exterior. The leftovers came in handy for keeping cables off the floor. I've read that granite causes ringing. Since limestone is porous, I thought it might help isolate. We also used limestone tile in the kitchen. I'm using that under some components. I haven't detected any negative effects but I may not know what to listen for.

• Bodhi
                      Bodhi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a nice looking setup Randy. Simple solutions there! Do you have a system thread up here? Or can you update your signature to show your system?

• RandyRobinson
                      RandyRobinson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Bodhi. No system thread posted but it's an Allnic L3000 pre, Threshold S/500 amp that was upgraded to e line at the factory and Maggi IIIa. The phono is VPI Super Scoutmaster ref and Allnic H3000 and the dac is Audio Note 2.1 Sig playing from Bricasti M5. I'm using Crystal interconnects. It's a work in progress.
                  Working...
                  X