Anyone elevating your cables?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user510 View Post

If I can DIY it I tend to. I'm using blocks of 2-inch thick foam rubber cut into a V-block shape. Rubber as an electrical insulator. Ceramic and glass would also insulate. The object is to mitigate induction of static electricity that may or may not be within the carpet. Wood, by the way, is a conductor.

This foam was acquired from a foam supplier that tends to market to upholstery shops. Y-20 is what they called it. My cutting method was crude. I used a serrated bread knife as the instrument of my butchery.
    -Steve
    PS: system photo is a bit out of date. I'm not using, at the moment, the TD124 in slate, nor the laptop.
    Wood is only a conductor while it is alive with sap inside and it's roots in the ground, and even then it is the poorest conductor, however salt water is and distilled water is not, if you spray the foam with distilled water it will help to eliminate the static in the air.

Comment

• user510
      user510 commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose; if the goal is to mitigate the induction of static electricity from the carpet into the cables, it is enough to lift the cables off the carpet with just about any material. Those who have stood on wood flooring while receiving an electric shock will require some evidence to suggest just how poor a conductor wood actually is. First hand experience being memorable. Yet, if they had been standing on a thick rubber mat there would have been no shock....

re: salt water vs distilled water. It certainly makes sense to use distilled water to clean records...and after cleaning, records do appear to be static free.

-Steve

• don
      don commented
      Editing a comment
      Wood does not and will not conduct electricity,( unless it is wet and it will still have poor conductivity) it also is not a grounding conductor, quite possibly they were grounded to something else if they in fact felt a shock while standing on wood, it was not due to
      the wood, the distilled water saturated on the foam adds humidity to the air which disperses static electricity ( low humidity increases static electricity ) which is why when it gets very cold the static electricity runs rampant, ( I was just being humorous when I said to do that )

I am a retired Electrical Design Engineering Contractor after 45 years in business, when we would work in power vaults where the live cables ran in free air we had to be exceptionally careful, take a guess at what we laid on the concrete floor so we would be insulated from the ground.

• Bodhi
      Bodhi commented
      Editing a comment
      I use Acoustic Revive RCI-3H cable risers for my Jorma Statement sc's. They use mahogany and hickory woods with a compartment filled natural ores incl: quart and tourmaline crystals and Lithia tourmaline powder. According to AR the hard woods offer natural/organic tone & the compartment of ores absorb electromagnetic waves and radiated noise from the cable (incl: static electricity). Jeff Day reviewed these feet & posted a pic of a riser opened up in the Acoustic Revive Chronicles fyi.

"Anyone lifting your cable?" Nope, doing it myself. I know, just couldn't help myself.

What cable "lifting" that is done is more for dressing the cables than anything else, signal cables separated from power cables and crossing at 90 degrees if they have to cross. One thing I try to avoid is the typical rats nest of a cable loom found behind a lot of racks, one of the few things I am a neat freak about.

Comment

Working...
    X