A Tale of 3 Wires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of 3 Wires

First a tiny bit of background. In about the last 18 months I've made some significant upgrades to my system bringing it to a level that quite honestly, I never thought I could achieve. I've been very lucky in that regard. I have a system that surprises me, delights me and is revelatory to me every time I play it. It's one of the best systems I've heard, and I've received that comment from most people who hear it. I don't say that to be braggadocious in the least, please believe me. I'm just trying to set the framework for where my head was at when I started down this path. I certainly was not sitting around thinking, "Geez this sucks, I sure wish I had better speaker cables." In fact, I thought the speaker cables I had were quite good. They were custom made with Furutech 12 Gauge Alpha-PC Triple C wire w/ Locking Banana Furutech CF-202 R - Carbon Fiber Series (straight) Banana Connectors.

Then Kingrex posted about trying some Inakustik speaker cables. When I looked them up and saw how they are made and what the design concepts are behind them I was intrigued. I contacted several people who had purchased them and could find not one stinker in the bunch. So I took a chance and ordered a pair of the LS-4004 Air. There is a bit of a wait to have them made. While I was waiting I was challenged by a member here who is known to have pretty good ears, to try a pair of Mapleshade speaker cables. Not being all that much money I thought, "What the heck?" and ordered a pair of them too. There wasn't much waiting for them at all, they were here within a week.

What a shock! First was their ergonomics. Tiny stiff wires with the personality of a Slinky. I have to admit that I developed a bit of a negative bias just by how they looked and felt. I know that was wrong but I couldn't help it. But then I hooked them up. Without ANY break in period at all there was an immediate eye opening, . The music just opened up. I don't have the experience that many of you have. I have a harder time being able to be descriptive of what I DO hear than I have of being able to readily identify when something is gone or different, and whether I like it gone or different. I had never considered for a minute that my Furutech cables were holding anything back or guilty of veiling anything. But they were, pure and simple. I just got more music with the Mapleshade than I did with the Furutech. I lived with the Mapleshade for two more weeks before the Inakustik arrived. During that time I swapped the Mapleshade in and out a couple of times, and never changed my opinion.

Then the Inakustik arrived. I didn't pay much attention to them for about 40 hours or so of running on a loop. They say they need 2-3 times more than that to really come into their own, but we all know how my patience is. So I queued up my first serious listening piece. Jumping Jehosaphat and Mary Mother of God. If the Mapleshade had cracked open the door of what more music was available to me, then the Inakustik just flung WIDE open the floodgates and my world was changed forever. Music is delivered with so much more authority, clarity, precision, body, attack/sustain/release/decay, jerk your head to the side holographics. Imaging to die for, soundstage deeper, wider and taller. They are better in virtually every metric I can think of. If these things really do get better, I may not be able to contain myself.
    ​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	82755Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	82756Click image for larger version

Name:	
ID:	82757Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	82758
    Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RLS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC with (2) 10.5 Arms and Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Ortofon A-95 and Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 to a Bricasti M1 DAC for SACD (DSD) and Redbook - Tascam 42B (Refurb by Soren Witrup) + Doshi V.3 Tape Stage - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - Furutech Power Cords & Interconnects + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables - VPI 16.5 RCM

Love those cable elevators - Toscano or ? Looks like things are well in hand - always good to hear of a very successful upgrade.

Comment

• timztunz
      timztunz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. If you mean the ones under the speaker cables they are from the cable manufacturer.

• Spla'nin
      Spla'nin commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally off your topic here but when I first read the title and saw the category, I started thinking of the tannoy termination of an individual ground reference run to the speakers which I am still curious about. Cheers.

timztunz - so say it again, slowly, so even a moron like me can understand it. Where did those "hand" cable elevators come from? Way cool! I'm easily distracted, will focus on your comments about the cables themselves later.

Comment

• timztunz
      timztunz commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, search “articulating hand” on eBay. There are mono versions and even Left/Right models for stereo. :-)

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      “The Thing” cable cradles.

How about a picture of the front of your speakers?
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs, and a pair of JBL 4345 speakers.

Comment

I feel my speaker cables are one of the finest stand alone pieces in my setup. Truly an audiophile product. They just do everything right. Limitless high end extension to fast tight full bass. The soundstage still catches me off guard at times. I hear instruments well out beyond the sides of my speakers. It took me about 8 months to move on the speaker cable purchase but I am so happy I did. Now I am looking at a set of interconnects. I need 10 feet to get from my preamp to my monoblocks. Not inexpensive, but compared to other more publicized brand names, very affordable if not a lot less money. I did order some raw wire to lace my speaker drivers to the crossover. Not quite the same material as in the speaker cable but close. I don't think the individual strands are lacquer coated or I would never be able to strip and install them, but I believe it is the same wire. I too had to wait a few weeks to get them, but each set is individually made in Germany.
      Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

So Tim, I’m surprised that with Jeff’s set-up you aren’t using Zen-sati cables?

Those cable lifters are so whimsical you can’t help but smile😁
        TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Revel Studio Ultima Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

• timztunz
          timztunz commented
          Editing a comment
          I actually never really talked to him about wire until recently when I told him about these.

Name:	
Size:	774.8 KB
ID:	82772Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	883.8 KB
ID:	82773
        Originally posted by mep View Post
        How about a picture of the front of your speakers?
        Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RLS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC with (2) 10.5 Arms and Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Ortofon A-95 and Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 to a Bricasti M1 DAC for SACD (DSD) and Redbook - Tascam 42B (Refurb by Soren Witrup) + Doshi V.3 Tape Stage - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - Furutech Power Cords & Interconnects + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables - VPI 16.5 RCM

Comment

Thanks Tim! What's going on around the back of the speakers?
          SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs, and a pair of JBL 4345 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
            Thanks Tim! What's going on around the back of the speakers?
            It’s still all quite a mystery to me HOW they do what they do, but they do it SO well. I’ll let the manufacturer explain it better than me.

http://www.horninghybrid.com/eufrodite/

Comment

Originally posted by timztunz View Post
            It’s still all quite a mystery to me HOW they do what they do, but they do it SO well. I’ll let the manufacturer explain it better than me.

http://www.horninghybrid.com/eufrodite/
            So those are the four woofers on the back of the speaker.

Comment

• timztunz
              timztunz commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes sir.

• GaryB
              GaryB commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually there are 8 on the back of each speaker. There are 4 more woofers that are mounted face to face with the ones that you can see externally.

• DetroitVinylRob
              DetroitVinylRob commented
              Editing a comment
              With four bass inside and out (face to face) are they configured isobaric then?

Originally posted by timztunz View Post
            First a tiny bit of background. In about the last 18 months I've made some significant upgrades to my system bringing it to a level that quite honestly, I never thought I could achieve. I've been very lucky in that regard. I have a system that surprises me, delights me and is revelatory to me every time I play it. It's one of the best systems I've heard, and I've received that comment from most people who hear it. I don't say that to be braggadocious in the least, please believe me. I'm just trying to set the framework for where my head was at when I started down this path. I certainly was not sitting around thinking, "Geez this sucks, I sure wish I had better speaker cables." In fact, I thought the speaker cables I had were quite good. They were custom made with Furutech 12 Gauge Alpha-PC Triple C wire w/ Locking Banana Furutech CF-202 R - Carbon Fiber Series (straight) Banana Connectors.

Then Kingrex posted about trying some Inakustik speaker cables. When I looked them up and saw how they are made and what the design concepts are behind them I was intrigued. I contacted several people who had purchased them and could find not one stinker in the bunch. So I took a chance and ordered a pair of the LS-4004 Air. There is a bit of a wait to have them made. While I was waiting I was challenged by a member here who is known to have pretty good ears, to try a pair of Mapleshade speaker cables. Not being all that much money I thought, "What the heck?" and ordered a pair of them too. There wasn't much waiting for them at all, they were here within a week.

What a shock! First was their ergonomics. Tiny stiff wires with the personality of a Slinky. I have to admit that I developed a bit of a negative bias just by how they looked and felt. I know that was wrong but I couldn't help it. But then I hooked them up. Without ANY break in period at all there was an immediate eye opening, . The music just opened up. I don't have the experience that many of you have. I have a harder time being able to be descriptive of what I DO hear than I have of being able to readily identify when something is gone or different, and whether I like it gone or different. I had never considered for a minute that my Furutech cables were holding anything back or guilty of veiling anything. But they were, pure and simple. I just got more music with the Mapleshade than I did with the Furutech. I lived with the Mapleshade for two more weeks before the Inakustik arrived. During that time I swapped the Mapleshade in and out a couple of times, and never changed my opinion.

Then the Inakustik arrived. I didn't pay much attention to them for about 40 hours or so of running on a loop. They say they need 2-3 times more than that to really come into their own, but we all know how my patience is. So I queued up my first serious listening piece. Jumping Jehosaphat and Mary Mother of God. If the Mapleshade had cracked open the door of what more music was available to me, then the Inakustik just flung WIDE open the floodgates and my world was changed forever. Music is delivered with so much more authority, clarity, precision, body, attack/sustain/release/decay, jerk your head to the side holographics. Imaging to die for, soundstage deeper, wider and taller. They are better in virtually every metric I can think of. If these things really do get better, I may not be able to contain myself.
            ​​​​

Name:	
ID:	82755Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	82756Click image for larger version

Name:	
ID:	82757Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	82758
            What’s the price of the cables?
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

What’s the price of the cables?
              The LS-4004 Air list for $5,500 for 2.5m but I believe can be had for less than that.

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
                jonathanhorwich commented
                Editing a comment
                As a note the importer from Canada says there are no discounts given on the wire and that is their firm policy.

I hear the North American distributor has put a couple retailers in place. Prices may not move soon as momentum builds. They are a lot of cable for the money at their suggested price. I believe there are 2 outlets on the east coast if you want to hear them.
              Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Working...
              X