This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JGH Audio Definitions

Here’s a virtual copy of JGH’s An Audio Glossary.

It’s important that we understand and are on the same page regarding the words we use to describe our audio systems. (Of course HP added to this vocabulary.)

One of my pet gripes is reviewers inventing unnecessary terms. Read this first and see if what you want to say is in The Audio Glossary before inventing new terms.
    Subjective audio is the evaluation of reproduced sound quality by ear. It is based on the novel idea that, since audio equipment is made to be listened to, what it sounds like is more important than how it measures. This was a natural outgrowth of the 1950s high-fidelity "revolution," which spawned the notion that a component, and an audio system as a whole, should reproduce what is fed into it, without adding anything to it or subtracting anything from it.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

One of the most misunderstood and mis-used terms is transparency.

transparency, transparent 1) A quality of sound reproduction that gives the impression of listening through the system to the original sounds, rather than to a pair of loudspeakers. 2) Freedom from veiling, texturing, or any other quality which tends to obscure the signal. A quality of crystalline clarity.

I’ve seen some talk about “transparency to source” when they mean faithfulness. Then we can talk about these two factors:

error of commission Signal degradation due to the addition of sounds that were not present in the original signal. Distortion and coloration are examples of errors of commission.

error of omission Signal degradation due to the loss of information that was present in the original signal. Smearing and treble loss are examples of errors of omission.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Good topic.

From J. Gordon Holt’s Subjective Audio Glossary Jul 29, 1993
      transparency, transparent 1) A quality of sound reproduction that gives the impression of listening through the system to the original sounds, rather than to a pair of loudspeakers. 2) Freedom from veiling, texturing, or any other quality which tends to obscure the signal. A quality of crystalline clarity.

I like to use visual metaphors to describe audio so, transparency is one of my favorite audio descriptions. To me, audio playback is much like the photographic process of capturing an image through a camera lens onto a storage medium. Every step in the process has the potential to distort the original image. Much like each piece of polished glass in a camera lens. Ultimately what we want in an audio playback system is to have each step in the playback chain to be as transparent to the source as possible.

And music only exists in time. So, music reproduction is a continuous flow of images, more like a movie. A snapshot of music is pointless. So music reproduction must also be transparent over time and space, literally a fourth dimension.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Transparency Veil Diagram.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	144149
      Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
      Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (balanced)
      Table 1: VPI Prime Signature Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Uni-pivot Arm and Modified Denon A100 MC Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamplifier
      Table 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fat Boy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Platinum Phono Preamplifier
      R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
      Digital: Battery Powered Laptop running software on SSD, Music Files on USB SSD, and playback by JRMC. USB interface to M2Tech Young DAC
      Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
      Accessories: Furutech NCF receptacles, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning and Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        thats an excellent visual representation. IMO that last one, speakers, have the greatest influence on over-all transparency as does the room its in.

• Joe Pittman
        Joe Pittman commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point Rob! At some point I need to add the room to my diagram as it is a major factor. I am still slowly but surely tweaking my room to banish noises like rattles and so on to make it more "transparent"...
    Working...
    X