Boring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring

The significance of the term hit me while listening to the MOFI reissue of Dead Can Dance's Into The Labyrinth. Yes this album has been a reference LP since its reissue and that was never more apparent than tonight. There was suspense and intrigue and an ethereal quality from the moment the stylus settled down in the groove of the first cut on the first side. Then I thought about the many times at shows that I have to wait minutes until the song stops sounding like it's plodding along; sometimes the faces of people in the room have that expression why did that clown put that album on and I have to ask to them be patient as the song gets better. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. Maybe more often not than more?

Oh and it's been a long time since I turned the album over and played side 2. Why I'll never know but certainly will in the future. The second side is every bit as good, if not better sounding, than side 1.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I too have locked on side one, but do not experience the tedium of the slower passages that pleasantly lead to the more dramatic.
    Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

Comment

I listened to all sides multiple times over three different issues in the course of a couple days: the original 4AD, the MoFi and the reissue that came out last year. Because the music is a little strange, I didn't OD on it like some albums--even great ones- that get too much condensed play. For example, I use Janis Ian's Between the Lines as a reference to help me set up the system, but after several hours, I really wanted to hear something else. So, I put on Opeth. Another strangely beautiful record. (The record Damnation from the twofer Deliverance and Damnation).

Comment

• Bill Hart
        Bill Hart commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure I've listened to it-- I worked backwards from Damnation and the later acoustic stuff, to the early crunch and growl. I'll check it out. Mikael is an insane record collector.

• Madfloyd
        Madfloyd commented
        Editing a comment
        I've heard the original 4AD pressing is fantastic, but can't find it anywhere.

• Bill Hart
        Bill Hart commented
        Editing a comment
        Floyd- the original 4AD and the MoFi are pretty close overall- I was surprised at how good the MoFi is, given some of the comments about how the original 4AD blows it away. Aside from the channel reversal issue on some copies of the MoFi, the original 4AD is a little less "chesty"-- you can hear it by comparison in some places on the record more evidently than others.
        There should be copies on Discogs. The main issue is going to be condition. Pricewise, I think these haven't risen to crazy heights, though they weren't cheap (before the 4AD reissues came out). You can find it if you hunt but you'll be buying from the UK in all likelihood where it is more common.

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
      I listened to all sides multiple times over three different issues in the course of a couple days: the original 4AD, the MoFi and the reissue that came out last year. Because the music is a little strange, I didn't OD on it like some albums--even great ones- that get too much condensed play. For example, I use Janis Ian's Between the Lines as a reference to help me set up the system, but after several hours, I really wanted to hear something else. So, I put on Opeth. Another strangely beautiful record. (The record Damnation from the twofer Deliverance and Damnation).
      It's not so much about ITL. That was just one instance. IBoring can be experienced with many albums. Melody, Mayhem and Mallets is another example. But the question is why are these systems boring? What are they missing? I used to think it was microdynamics but not so sure anymore.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        depends on ones mood albums that were once exciting can soon become trite. putting on audiophile approved material that makes the system come alive puts my audio buddy to sleep whenever he comes over, his thrust is collecting/listening to RnR. I know ITL well, I've been listening to it since its debut but I haven't broken the seal on the recent MFSL vinyl. i'm just not interested at the moment.

when I recorded it to digital, I noticed the envelope didn't vary that much, which is to say the macrodynamic range is limited.
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

It's not so much about ITL. That was just one instance. IBoring can be experienced with many albums. Melody, Mayhem and Mallets is another example. But the question is why are these systems boring? What are they missing? I used to think it was microdynamics but not so sure anymore.
        I missed your original point then, Myles. I thought you were talking about the music, not the gear. Now, re-reading your original post, I understand that you were talking about the plodding, slow engagement of that album on some systems at shows- i.e., the system made the record boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

I missed your original point then, Myles. I thought you were talking about the music, not the gear. Now, re-reading your original post, I understand that you were talking about the plodding, slow engagement of that album on some systems at shows- i.e., the system made the record boring.
          Yes, why one system brings an LP to life and another just makes it sound uninvolving.

I guess one explanation is the tonearm/cartridge isn't set up correctly. But I don't think that explains the majority of the situations.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Yes, why one system brings an LP to life and another just makes it sound uninvolving.

I guess one explanation is the tonearm/cartridge isn't set up correctly. But I don't think that explains the majority of the situations.
            If we are strictly talking LPs and the system otherwise sounds good, I would blame it on the quality of the table/arm/cartridge or setup and/or the quality of the phono stage. If the system doesn't sound good playing any source material, now we have a new can of worms.
            SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

If we are strictly talking LPs and the system otherwise sounds good, I would blame it on the quality of the table/arm/cartridge or setup and/or the quality of the phono stage. If the system doesn't sound good playing any source material, now we have a new can of worms.
              I'd certainly agree in many cases. But I've heard other instances that I would attribute what's going on to the speakers. Like no matter what system I hear these speakers in, the system always sounds boring.

Comment

Working...
              X