What is Texture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Texture

I was wondering what is texture as one listens to music. Does an audio device produce texture or is it the music and how its was composed and performed. What do we hear when listening for texture.

I read this,referencing texture
    1. The overall sound of an ensemble, including instrumentation and orchestration. Words like “thick”, “muddy”, “sparse” etc. can be used when talking about a track’s texture
    2. How the different streams of sound in a piece of music relate and interact. Words like “monophonic”, “homophonic” and “polyphonic” are used when talking about this kind of texture.
    • Monophonic: A single unaccompanied melody, for example you humming to yourself, or a solo trumpet playing a fanfare.
    • Homophonic: A melody with an accompaniment, for example most pop songs where the lead singer’s part is the most prominent and the band provides the “backing music”.
    • Polyphonic: Multiple independent melodies happening simultaneously. Rare in modern music but very common in classical music (particularly the Renaissance and Baroque eras).

Chris
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5 or W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e22Mkll, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Quicksilver mid-monos, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow, Kimber cables

In case missed.
    There's probably no more curious audio term than texture. Texture's use in describing the sound of an audio system is antithetical to the actual to the musical
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
      In case missed.
      Thank you Myles, I missed that thread.
      Chris
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5 or W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e22Mkll, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Quicksilver mid-monos, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow, Kimber cables

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
        In case missed.
        +1.
        Hugh Nguyen
        ACA

Comment

Originally posted by cpp View Post

Thank you Myles, I missed that thread.
          NP. Great minds think alike! 🎯🎯🎯

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

My thougjts are different as many times.
            Texture is what dsp removes so for anyone who has heard
            digital with and without dsp the without has imperfections
            noises , weight that all convey texture
            dsp makes things more polished , cleaner , less noise
            supposedly revealing more details of the music. And in a very uneven system it helps to balance the sound. For me at a high price. I may be using the term wrong as it seems others have a different view. This is mine.

Comment

Perhaps I see it a little differently. When I think of air or grain, I think of the overall texture of the sound.

But when I think of the word, "texture", I think of the, attack, harmonic envelope, decay and detail of the individual instruments and even vocals. Music is filled with different textures and a good recording on a good system will reveal them. Like the reeds on a saxaphone, the rosin on a cello, the glass slide moving down guitar strings, the Leslie speaker whoosh on a Hammond B3. I like to be able to hear all of the textures in the music.
              Last edited by mkuller; 08-11-2017, 05:24 PM.
              Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4095.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	61880

Comment

Working...
                X