Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Consider this if you're giving impressions, opinions or reviews ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consider this if you're giving impressions, opinions or reviews ...

From Stereophile July 1993 - 25 years ago
    J Gordon Holt's: Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary

You don't have to use Holt's definitions but its good to know what you're talking about and its helpful if you're somewhat consistent.

"Subjective audio is the evaluation of reproduced sound quality by ear. It is based on the novel idea that, since audio equipment is made to be listened to, what it sounds like is more important than how it measures."

The Reverse Glossary at the end is worth a read. "The discussion which follows assumes that the listener is familiar with the sound of live music as performed in a real acoustical space. Without that familiarity, there can be no basis for judging the quality of the reproduction of that sound."

A slight variation on one of my favorite Holt observations: An opinion giver unsure of his or her reputation for acuity will often inflate the audibility of something in order to demonstrate how extraordinarily perceptive he or she is.

Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Fuuga, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Holts undertaking is quite impressive, but Harley's turn of phrase(s) in Sidebar 8 had me chuckling as I imagined manufacturers high fiving after reading the review of their product.
    Speakers, Wilson Audio Sasha 2's; line stage, ARC Ref 6; phono pre ARC Ref 3; Amplifier, ARC Ref 75 SE; turntable, Dr. Feickert Firebird with a Kuzma 14 inch 4 pt and Transfiguration Proteus; CD player Ayre C 5 xe; tuner, Magnum Dynalab MD109 SE; Dr. Feickert Analogue CBPS; Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; Transparent Audio Isolator 8; Transparent Super cables and IC's; and a Atocha Designs Record Cabinet

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      or this...Sidebar 7 - Corey Greenberg's Law: The best-looking components tend to sound the worst.

The older I get, the less sure I am of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
      Take heart Billlbo, Descartes' skepticism was the cause of his certainty.
      Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Fuuga, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
        The more I know, the more sure I am that I don't know. You know?

I appreciate everyone here who share their thoughts and opinions.

Comment

None of can be sure all the time but by using trial and error with repeatable results makes me feel better at what I claim
          did he say that anywhere. ? Lol
          I always said we each hear different , we each have likes and dislikes that become so over time much time
          we all have critics but someone who plays or attends Lijve events is most always not like me
          but I have a good reason for this as I don’t attend and no ones system is real by any large degree it’s simple to see why.
          My IRS are almost 8 feet tall four columns and weigh 1500 hundred pounds yet when my son plays a real piano it’s not even close
          the tone is there. The decay is there. The impact be it hard or soft is there.
          So what’s not where. It’s simple it’s the dynamics and the speed of it. When my kid plays the korg it’s ok and mine is far better. But when he plays the upright he shakes the house. While I can play loud and shake the house I lack he attack and dynamics of it.
          Soes anyone feel they have this cought as real ?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post

The more I know, the more sure I am that I don't know. You know?

I appreciate everyone here who share their thoughts and opinions.
            Joe always the right post at the right time lol

Comment

Good stuff.

Less profoundly sure of anything though I do feel such a deep level of gratefulness in general. And there was a time when I was so sure... is this acquired wisdom? Perhaps so. Having a vocabulary doesn’t hurt.

One thing for sure though, I’m decidedly a subjective listener. So much vinyl, so little time. For me, being in this hobby is all about enjoying the listening.
              Listening/Living room is 25.5x14.5x8.5, modestly live and dynamic, Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12, Miyajima Zero, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairy hair silver litz, Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, Sony SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Calypso & Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 XLR IC, Silent Source Music Ref mains, Atma-Sphere MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Elrod EPS-3 Sign power cables, Coincident Techn PREt, PS Audio Premiere, Yamamoto racks

Comment

• tima
                tima commented
                Editing a comment
                "I do feel such a deep level of gratefulness in general."

Me too. For music, this wonderful hobby, and the opportunity to interact with the people who share it.

And the guild speak is fun. :-o

Beware of people with answers. Anyone who is absolutely sure of anything is either selling you something, has limited experience or an extremist. The longer we live the more we learn how little we really know. Keeping an open mind is the way to learn but all of that learning tells us we aren't really experts on anything.

People are just creatures who barely know the world around them. We are just beginning on our discovery of nature, science...well everything.

How many times have you been in a group of colleagues and they introduce you as some sort of expert. Do you wonder why they think this of you? Me too.

I told my son that I am good at what I do because I work hard at it. No magic, no extra intelligence, just hard work. Work hard, respect others and keep an open mind.
              Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
              https://www.edsstuff.org
              TT: VPI Prime, HRX Pulley, Dual Pivot, ADS, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, AQ Leopard, Liberty B2B-1, Sky 30 Trans
              Line Stage: *Audible Illusions L1
              Pwr Amp: Parasound A21
              Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T5/i
              Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, NAD 446, Schiit Modi Multibit
              Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, HiFiMan HE-400S, Focal Clear, Schiit Lyr2
              Cables: AQ King Cobra, Kimber Hero w/WBT, 8TC

*Modified/Customized Component

Comment

Al, I'm with you. A few months back when I was tuning one of my sources. You like the way I said that, source, so no one would get upset. I would play a track such as Behind Blue Eyes, then play my acoustic guitar. It was quite revealing to have that direct comparison between recorded music and live music. The configuration that best emulated the live acoustic guitar was what I kept.
                Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Working...
                X