Calling All Tidal Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling All Tidal Users

Does Tidal have any files higher than 24/192? If so, please provide the names of any albums that are higher resolution than 24/192.

Doing internet searches has turned up zip.
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

24/192 is the highest for Tidal as I understand it. See https://www.whathifi.com/tidalmasters/review

Comment

Thanks Joe. That article was published almost a year ago which is a long time in digital dog years. I haven’t seen any files on Tidal above 24/192 so I was curious.
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Yes, I agree with the dog years analogy mep. There could have been a change/improvement but I haven't seen it on my various systems. Tidal seams to have a software update every other day now, so who knows when they actually include a performance oriented upgrade?

The other thing about Tidal Master software (MQA) is that with full unfold of the compression encoding, half of the unfold process is software and the other is hardware. So, actual performance depends not only on the app but the hardware being driven... My best Lumin player may be limited to 24/192 anyway, but the latest big dog player (that I don't have) can process up to 24/384 files...

Big dog today, old dog tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks Joe. The PS Audio DSJ is supposed to perform complete unfolding of MQA files. The MQA files show you the original sampling rate and the MQA sampling rate. The DSJ always shows the correct MQA sampling rate.

Comment

Mep only 24/192 and it's mqa so nkt really hi Rez lol.
            Qobuz has many more hi Rez but not as many albums.
            May I ask why you want a higher rate ? Dxd ?
            also for what it's worth in pcm 24/88.2 is best many times and 24/96 is the sweet spot above 24/88.2
            the 24 is bit depth it yields about 250 times more levels of sound volume making it play from a blacker back ground. Above 88.2 is nice in that it adds more layers
            but makes some Music seem softer too. Maybe it's the layers making me feel this way.
            Mep what dac you have ?
            analog stuff.
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
            sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
            new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
            thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
            thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
            kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
            phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
            speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
            mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
            digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

• mep
              mep commented
              Editing a comment
              Al-I listed all the digital gear in my opening post on this thread. My DAC is the PS Audio DSJ.

Congrats no more mytek lol. Sorry mep didnsee that is this why your looking for ultra hi Rez ?
            analog stuff.
            new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

• mep
              mep commented
              Editing a comment
              No, just curious if MQA had files above 24/192 or if there were PCM files above 24/192.

I probably will try out Tidal once I get my Berkeley Alpha DAC 2 back which my dealer upgraded to MQA as a present to me. See how it works with Roon. If it works well, I will probably give it to my daughter and son-in-law who are currently using Spotify, but like my high res stuff (particularly my Reel to Reel). Anyone know how Qobuz is working out in the US? Are they a direct competitor with Tidal. I don't know much about the two of them, except I think they are both hirez compared to iTunes and Spotify and maybe other streaming systems.

Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
            Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
            Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
            Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
            Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
            Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
              I probably will try out Tidal once I get my Berkeley Alpha DAC 2 back which my dealer upgraded to MQA as a present to me. See how it works with Roon. If it works well, I will probably give it to my daughter and son-in-law who are currently using Spotify, but like my high res stuff (particularly my Reel to Reel). Anyone know how Qobuz is working out in the US? Are they a direct competitor with Tidal. I don't know much about the two of them, except I think they are both hirez compared to iTunes and Spotify and maybe other streaming systems.

Larry
              Roon and Tidal work very well together. I consider it to be a seamless integration.

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post

Larry
                Been using Qobuz (Studio) in the beta with nice results. How it sounds compared to tidal well to early to tell. I've had Tidal since it came out

Chris
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                  Congrats no more mytek lol. Sorry mep didnsee that is this why your looking for ultra hi Rez ?
                  I don't know what you have against Mytek and specifically the Mytek Stereo 192. Have you had one in your system at some point in time? Had it not been for the fact that I purchased the Roon Nucleus Plus which runs on Linux (I really wanted to get away from a Windows based server), I would still be using the black mastering version of the Mytek Stereo 192 which I own. The Mytek still sounds great, it plays PCM up to 24/192 and DSD up to DSD 128. It has balanced outputs which I always used. The only downside for me was the Mytek has no network connectivity and it won't work with a Linux based server.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

I don't know what you have against Mytek and specifically the Mytek Stereo 192. Have you had one in your system at some point in time? Had it not been for the fact that I purchased the Roon Nucleus Plus which runs on Linux (I really wanted to get away from a Windows based server), I would still be using the black mastering version of the Mytek Stereo 192 which I own. The Mytek still sounds great, it plays PCM up to 24/192 and DSD up to DSD 128. It has balanced outputs which I always used. The only downside for me was the Mytek has no network connectivity and it won't work with a Linux based server.
                    Got to agree, I've had the Mytek you have, sold it when the Brooklyn came out,. Not bad for the money and when used with a tube pre-amp.
                    Chris
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------
                    Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Originally posted by cpp View Post

Got to agree, I've had the Mytek you have, sold it when the Brooklyn came out,. Not bad for the money and when used with a tube pre-amp.
                      The eye/ear opener for me was when I reviewed the Mojo server with the Mytek Stereo 192 and I heard how good the Stereo 192 really is. It was quite a leap in performance and I already thought it was really good.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

Mep I met the maker in Brooklyn nice People
                        i it when it first came out. Had it modified to sound better with headphones the output imp was too high
                        also made a better internal psu too.
                        The preamp was ok and it's dsd was too. But pcm was needles in my head. The new MANHATTAN new Brooklyn are better but also quickly wore on me too.
                        I like them mep just not that sound is all.
                        I even used a great sever and it was not much better.
                        Dont take offense mep or anyone it's our choices is all.
                        analog stuff.
                        Dacs lampi various

Comment

• mep
                          mep commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I didn't like the PCM from the Mytek Stereo 192 until I heard it with the latest and greatest Mojo server. I used to refer to the sound of PCM from the Stereo 192 as sounding Wowie Zowie. The sound of PCM from the Mytek with the Mojo server was a totally new PCM world.
                      Working...
                      X