• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New lossless streaming service from Amazon Music

Amazon don't need any help in promoting their business but here you go:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/2...-spotify-apple

Ki
    Last edited by Ki Choi; 09-19-2019, 01:48 PM.

Thank you for the heads up Ki. I have set up my Amazon, I’m already a Prime member so it was a snap even for a computer idiot like me. My Bluesound Vault 2 supports it making the interface immediate. I have compared a few of the very same selections I have on Tidal with MQA and the same on Amazon hi rez without MQA. The difference is similar to adjusting VTA or not, using a tone control or not. MQA selections on Tidal are a bit more rounded, diffuse sounding with a slightly wider stage while the Amazon is a bit more focused, a bit less rounded with a slightly narrower stage. Which do I prefer? I might actually prefer the Amazon but time will tell. If someone is looking for good sounding streaming and doesn’t have Tidal currently they won’t care. If you do have Tidal, after comparing you’ll make your decision.
    TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite Level 2X AC Cord & Level 3 HC AC Cord , Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
      1morerecord2clean commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m glad you folks responded to my question. Please tell me how to access an artist and a full album.

Thanks.

• Skylab
      Skylab commented
      Editing a comment
      When you’re in the app, just search for the artist you want. Then when the results come up, choose “ARTIST” and not anything else in the matches. When you do that, you will see all that artists albums. Easy.

If you already know the album you want too, then search both, and it will list that right up top.

• 1morerecord2clean
      1morerecord2clean commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Skylab. I don’t know why I didn’t see that before. I just kept coming up with tracks.

I signed up for Amazon HD Music. This is what I’ve been asking for for like a decade, kinda felt like I should. I don’t plan to buy digital music ever again.
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Any ideas on the most economical device with a optical or coax output to use an external DAC? Looks like the Amazon Link at $199 is about it. I was hoping for something along the lines of the Chromecast Audio.

Comment

I played Amazon HD music via a laptop with Amazon Music app and through USB with Mytek Manhattan II using the rest of my system during the halftime of Seattle Seahawks game yesterday. It was nice and sounded very good streaming anything PCM 24/96 and above (because I can't tell the differences using my aging ears). Although I haven't checked out what's offered as far as their available titles of albums i would like listen but I told my son I may have finally found what I need (at my old age) and could easily get rid of my CD collection to start..

BTW, i should have continued with the music instead of watching the rest of the game...

Ki

Comment

Originally posted by spinblackcircle View Post
          Any ideas on the most economical device with a optical or coax output to use an external DAC? Looks like the Amazon Link at $199 is about it. I was hoping for something along the lines of the Chromecast Audio.
          Whay about one of the Orchard Audio devices we have seen pitched on this site. I gather they are affordable. No idea how they sound. Probably decent on a budget.
          PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
          Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
          Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

I'm probably going to pass on the amazon for a while. I was circling the wagon on Primephonic again. I don't need more pop singles in my life. I Iisten to more classical now. I liked the sound of Primephonic but dialiked the interface in the past. I hope they have improved it.
            PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
            Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
            Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Good news for digital audio ... High Resolution Audio Streaming is the future of digital music
              "Every day is a good day to listen tapes"

Comment

So in order to have the full Ultra HD (96/24) sent to my Bryston so I am using its DACs, I bought a Marantz NA6006. I don’t know how Marantz makes gear this nice for $600. It’s crazy. But it works perfectly - it has a digital out, which the Bryston confirms is providing 96/24. So the limitation of Airplay/iOS devices is gone. This is pretty cool!!!
                TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
                SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
                AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Yep! I have been using it for almost a month now as a fortunate member of the Beta testing group, and it sounds really good, specifically their Ultra HD, similar to Tidal Masters. I have recorded 6 cassette tapes already and surprisingly, it has most of the tracks I have searched! I have Spotify Premium, Tidal and now Amazon's. Main difference I have found is that Amazon's has more extended highs than Tidal. That's how it sounds here in my studio. When you change selections, the latency is almost zero and the track start playing immediately, not so with Tidal. It takes some time to get used to their platform, but I've started to like it. It also let you know the actual playing time (left of the playing bar graph) and remaining time on the selected track (right side). Anyway, it sounds good. The program has been debugged several times and still has some things to be fix, but they are going in the correct direction.
                  Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
                  http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
                  http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

Do you find the catalog slant to any particular genera.

Do they have a Linux platform or just Apple/MSoft

Comment

• El Magnifico
                      El Magnifico commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I find the catalog surprisingly extended. I don't know if Linux could be used.

I just signed up for Amazon Streaming and unfortunately found that some of their music has watermarking, same as Tidal Streaming. It is an analog process that is applied to the music and is far worse sounding than even MP3 . Not to be confused with digital watermarking which does not effect SQ. Both Tidal and the new Amazon streaming have some albums/songs that have this process applied to the music. Tidal and Amazon are not to blame, but it's the fault of UMG (Universal Music Group) who supplies music to these streaming companies. Yes, the same company that let thousands of master tapes burn. Analog watermarking gives an annoying shimmering quality to the highs. You can scan the music and actually SEE the watermarking. When Tidal Streaming first started, I heard right away that some of their music had this process. I contacted the company and to my surprise they admitted that some of their music from UMG had this process and that they were eventually going to replace the files with non-watermarked files. However, even today many files still have this process applied. And now Amazon has the same problem.

So bottom line, if you are new to streaming and you think it does not sound good, you may be hearing a corrupted music file from UMG. It's not the fault of the particular streaming service or streaming itself. See article on UMG watermarking below.

https://www.mattmontag.com/.../universals-audible-watermark

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/top...msg973174.html
                    -Tim Leinbaugh
                    -Professional RTR restoration and modification for 45 years.
                    [email protected]
                    www.MusicTechnology.com

Comment

• Nscohen17
                      Nscohen17 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very interesting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wMbQ9e54HMY

Comment

Working...
                    X