Roon Wireless Remote Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roon Wireless Remote Control

I've built the basics of a digital network music playback system that runs stable and allows input from a disc spinner, a RAID drive system and streams from Tidal and Qobuz.

I'm currently using my Android phone with Roon to control the Roon core that resides on a Windows based machine. Every thing works and there are no 'technical or physical' issues: Files load (or stream), the communication between all devices is quick, and files play. No fuss.

I'm looking to get a remote (Android Tablet or iPad) for Roon remote control. I haven't decided which to get yet. My old long retired iPad doesn't allow the iOS update level necessary for Roon.

Therefore, I need to aquire an Android tablet or an iPad to use exclusively as a remote. I'm leaning towards an Android tablet as a remote since I don't have any other need for an iPad.

Any thoughts on using Android tablet or iPad as a wireless remote for Roon control are welcome.

Dre
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

I just installed the new Roon form factor with a SSD internally connected through to a Bryston BD3 DAC and I am very impressed. I stream tidal as well . Qobuz is not available in Canada without tricking the system.

I use an ipad pro gen 2 and it is flawless. I really think Apple has got it down for this kind of application. I have a Microsoft surface as well and the ipad is just better for the low lighting of the listening room in terms of resolution.

This is my first serious foray into digital.. with the right format it does not suck. It really is excellent. The best part is I probably have not listened to so much music in such a short time in years. It really allows for discovery.
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comments, Nick.

To follow-up on my original post, I've acquired a tablet to use exclusively as a Roon wireless remote.

Since I didn't see the need to pickup/buy an iPad solely for Roon Remote as a first option, I went ahead and purchased an Android tablet: partially because the Roon remote app worked so well on my Android phone.

I made a quick Android tablet purchase through Amazon and selected the same day delivery option (a perk for Prime membership). The package arrived the evening of the purchase, yesterday.

I setup the Android tablet, added the exclusive audio network Wi-Fi address, and loaded the Roon remote application from the Google Play Store. I started the Roon App on the Android tablet and the application found the Roon core and connected without any issues.

Last night, I used the application to jump around and select music from the Roon music queue, search my local files, search Qobuz, and search Tidal. Everything worked as expected.

Here is a picture of the generic 10.1" Android Tablet that was purchased exclusively to be used as a Roon (and JRiver, when needed) remote:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dre-RoonRemoteAndroidTab.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	125482

Dre

Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

I'm glad it all went well Dre.
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Dre_J
        Dre_J commented
        Editing a comment
        Me Too, Mark.
    Working...
    X