Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yarlung's First Surround Sound DSD 256 Recording: Coming Soon

This should be very interesting!

"Coming next week: the first Surround Sound recording from Yarlung Artists to Native DSD Music in DSD 256! Fans of Yarlung's fine albums are going to really love this one.

Bob Attiyeh from Yarling tells us "Jared and Floor asked that I write about our Yarlung release next week, our first recording of music by composer James Matheson.

NativeDSD is intimately involved with this recording, not just as our DSD distributor, but also because my friend (and our NativeDSD mastering engineer) Tom Caulfield joined us at Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Southern California for this recording. As a result, Tom engineered Yarlung's first 5.0 surround sound album.

Tom had been enticing me about surround sound recordings for months, and while I have not yet had the luxury of hearing music on his fabulous 5 channel system in Boston, Massachusetts, I have experienced the glory of well-recorded 5 channel music thanks to him."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom C at Yarlung Surround Sound recording.png
Views:	46
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	19110

Native DSD Mastering Engineer Tom Caulfield (aka "Tailspn") monitoring the Matheson recording session (photo by Cooper Bates)
    https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdMu...type=1&theater

Can't wait. I now have 7 of the 15 256DSD mch albums that NativeDSD has released and will probably pick up the others soon. RIght now I think that my NADAC mch and the Exasound E28 are the only two DACs that will play mch 256DSD. You have to be patient on the downloads. The files are the biggest music files I have downloaded, over 20GB each, especially if you buy several at a time. So far they have been very impressive. I didn't think there would be this much improvement over the mch 64DSD files that I have ripped from SACD's. Great to see that Bob is working with Tom on this album.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

The Music of James Matheson Surround Sound DSD 256 recording is now available from Native DSD Music. It's available in a variety of formats including DSD (up to DSD 256) and DXD Stereo, Multichannel and SonoruS Holographic Imaging.

The review from Kal Rubinson at Stereophile Magazine of the String Quartet selections on the album (tracks 1-3) recorded in one take, unedited DSD 256 Stereo and Surround Sound by Yarlung and part of the new DSD Downloads:

"Tom Caulfield, a Grammy-winning recording engineer who has worked for Channel Classics Records and other labels, sent me a Multichannel DSD 256 file from a session with Color Field, a group comprising musicians of the Lyric Opera of Chicago and the Chicago Symphony, for a recording of James Matheson's String Quartet, to be released in June 2016 on Yarlung Records.

The opening notes were startling — I had the disturbing but exhilarating feeling that music was actually being made in my room, not merely reproduced. The sound was no more "multichannel" than it was "stereo" — the four players seemed almost within reach, and my room seemed to expand around me.

Caulfield had included a few photos of the session, held at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa, California. When I looked at them — by George, that's exactly what I'd heard. Not only was I completely transfixed: I kept thinking, If others could only hear this, hi-rez multichannel music would take off."
      https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com...james-matheson
      https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdMu...298040/?type=3

Comment

Working...
      X