New UHQCD Discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New UHQCD Discs

Anyone had a chance to listen to these new discs from Japan? Appears that four discs are now available in this format. I might have dismissed it but see Ying Tan from Groove Note chose to release one of his Jacintha recording on a disc using this technology and respect his opinion. He doesn't just jump on any old bandwagon. (At least they are not $1500 like the glass CDs; do read this for the bit perfect controversy. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...-from-glass-1/

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Numbered, Limited Edition Japanese Import UHQCD!
    Playable on any CD player, the Ultimate High Quality CD greatly surpasses all previous CDs before it!
    Distributed Exclusively by Elusive Disc!

Groove Note presents a collection of the finest recordings by the incomparable Jacintha. Spanning a decade of musical output, this set is the definitive Jacintha sound.

With a timeless voice that resonates across the world, Jacintha has become a modern classic. Her interpretations are smooth and sensuous, ranging from ballads to bossa nova. Jacintha is able to bring poignancy to any lyric, with a delivery that is both sultry and relaxing.

New fans and seasoned devotees alike will be amazed at the clarity of presentation on this compilation. Modern jazz has never sounded quite like Jacintha, and Jacintha has never sounded quite like this!

All About Ultimate High Quality CD (UHQCD):
    Many years have passed since the birth of the Audio Compact Disc (CD) back in 1982. By use of High-Quality materials and a totally different manufacturing method, the definitive version of audiophile audio CD was born. Playable on any CD player, the Ultimate High Quality CD greatly surpasses all previous CDs before it!

The Ultimate High Quality CD (UHQCD):
    UHQCD is a radical change to the CD manufacturing process itself. The conventional wisdom about CD manufacturing, which had remained largely unchanged across the world for over 30 years, has been exhaustively questioned. Through this effort, the ultimate in quality was attained - a level of quality that is certainly impossible to achieve with existing CD discs.

The Ultimate High Quality CD was developed through an effort to improve audio quality by simply upgrading the materials used in ordinary CDs to higher quality materials. For the substrate a high-transparency and high-fluidity polycarbonate (a type of plastic) of the type used for LCD panels was used, while for the reflective layer, low-cost, common aluminum was replaced with a unique and expensive alloy of high-reflectivity.

Differences in manufacturing methods:
    Conventional CDs are produced using the technique of injection molding to form "pits" of data on polycarbonate material. Metal plate on which "pits" representing audio source data are formed is used as a die. This is called the "stamper." Polycarbonate is melted at high temperature and poured into the die to duplicate the pit patterns on the stamper.

This method is efficient because it enables high-speed production, but it does not enable totally accurate or complete duplication of the pits on the stamper. As a melted plastic, polycarbonate is inevitably viscous, so it cannot penetrate completely into every land and groove of the tiny pits of the stamper.

The Ultimate High Quality CD photopolymer is used instead of polycarbonate to replicate the pits of the stamper. In their normal state, photopolymers are liquids, but one of their characteristic properties is that they harden when exposed to light of certain wavelengths. The advantage of this property, perfect replication of very finely detailed pits was achieved. Photopolymers in the liquid state are able to penetrate into the tiniest corners of pits on the stamper so that the pattern of the pits is reproduced to an extremely high level of accuracy. The Ultimate High Quality CD reproduces audio with greater precision and at a level that is impossible to achieve using conventional CD production technology!

Packaged in an XRCD-like luxury digipak complete with full color CD booklet.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

*Yawn.* One more compact disc format that claims to be more superior than all other compact disc formats. Where have we seen that before? HDCD, MoFi gold CDs, Japanese SHM, JVC XRCD, and on and on. "Step right this way" said the carnival barker. I would rather go take a gander at the bearded goat lady.
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Ha, as they say, there's one born every minute. I saw the Jacintha CD at Elusive Disc and decided to give it a try. 15% off, one of my favorite singers, and from a respected label. What's there to lose? I'll report back if there's any great improvement.
      Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Originally posted by allenh View Post
        Ha, as they say, there's one born every minute. I saw the Jacintha CD at Elusive Disc and decided to give it a try. 15% off, one of my favorite singers, and from a respected label. What's there to lose? I'll report back if there's any great improvement.

Buy the Jacintha tape if you want to hear something special.
        SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

I did!

Got the last one I believe. Just need a tape deck now.
            Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Cool!

Comment

I sent a link to this page to my friend and associate Bob Spence, who makes Essence of Music digital treatment (http://essence-of-music.com/). He found it very interesting and commented, "I would expect this change in the data layer will be audible. It would be interesting to hear a side by side comparison of original HQCD and the new UHQCD."

We'll have Bob's product in our room (554) at AXPONA here in Chicago to demo.
                Brian Walsh
                ttsetup.com

Comment

20 years ago (?), David Chesky was playing with different combos of metals (aluminum and gold) and plastics (neonex and normal plastic). IIRC, Neonex has a different optical clarity than the normal plastic (clarity usually relates to how well aligned the polymers are).

He gave me four CDs to compare

1. Norrnal plastic/Aluminum
                  2. Normal plastic/Gold
                  3. Neonex/Aluminum
                  4. Neonex/Gold

Bottom line was they all sounded different. Not necessarily better. For instance, #2 sounded better but because it rolled the top end up getting rid of the digital nasties. I seem to remember liking the Al/Neonex too but not sure what ever became of this experiment. Maybe the neonex was too expensive back then.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

For what it's worth disks do sound diffent although one needs A system that can show this change. I burn CDs from hirez and even from downloaded PCM they do matter , what does not matter is coloring the dos with a marker and whole sort of other crazy tweeks.
                    In servers everything has an effect , psu , cables , USB cards and so on .
                    analog stuff.
                    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                      For what it's worth disks do sound diffent although one needs A system that can show this change. I burn CDs from hirez and even from downloaded PCM they do matter , what does not matter is coloring the dos with a marker and whole sort of other crazy tweeks.
                      In servers everything has an effect , psu , cables , USB cards and so on .
                      ​Believe it or not, the blank CD Roms of today are not as good as years ago. When I visited Bob Ludwig back in '99, he bemoaned the quality of what he was having to send for duplicating. The number of pinholes in the disc that was inducing error correction had increased tremendously. (he demoed it to me also.) Now that might have been corrected or gotten worse in the intervening years.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

I'll take a UHQR ( Ultra High Quality RECORD) please.
                        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                          I'll take a UHQR ( Ultra High Quality RECORD) please.

Or especially the new soon to be released hand pressed UHQR LPs made with clarity vinyl from Chad! Suspect we'll see them sometime in 2016.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Or especially the new soon to be released hand pressed UHQR LPs made with clarity vinyl from Chad! Suspect we'll see them sometime in 2016.
                            This is good news, just hope they are not as expensive as the original UHQRs were back in 1982. (adjusting for inflation )
                            Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I like my hamburgers hand-pressed, but I'm not sure about LPs. What is the advantage? I thought part of Chad's claim to great sounding LPs was the amount of automation over temperature and cycling times for his presses. What happens when you start to hand-press them?

Comment

Working...
                              X