X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by allenh View Post

Ok, I played the CD and SACD layers of this SACD, Track 6 (A Man and a Woman):

vs. the UHQCD version, same track. I did not have time to compare the entire album, track by track. I hope to do that next weekend.

Let me get to the punchline: UHQCD wins hands down against both the CD and SACD layers. I think you guys know I like Jacintha alot. After playing the well mastered Groove Note LPs, the CD layer was difficult to listen to. The SACD smoother but still had glare. The UHQCD was just smoother, more refined, more continuous than both RBCD and SACD layers. Sustain of notes were more natural and less discrete. There was more texture to Jacintha's voice, more like the LP I listen to so often. I did not get a sense of increased soundstage width or depth, just better separation of instruments and vocals, as if the noise floor dropped on the recording. I would love my entire CD collection to sound like this!

I had an audiophile friend of mine here on Friday to share some tunes. I wish I did this A/B exercise then just to get a second opinion. I hope to A/B the rest of the album next weekend. I also want to rip the UHQCD and the CD layer and compare them through my streamer and see if I still hear the same difference. But this quick test was very promising. I was beginning to buy more SACDs in the hope of better sound on the road. Maybe I will buy more UHQCDs instead now.

Definitely worth a try IMO, especially if you have a predominately digital collection.

Absolutely fascinating Allen! Goes to what we've been saying that there's more life left in CDs than we gave them credit for. And maybe you don't need the Trinity DAC to get there either.

What was the retail on the UHQCD?

Would be fascinating to hear it through the Trinity though or a UHQCD/SACD. Or have Bruce run the CD vs UHQCD like he did with the Crystal disc.

Maybe I'll get one or two to listen to also.

Leave a comment:

• allenh
    replied
    Originally posted by Andymodern View Post

Looking forward to hearing the result.

Ok, I played the CD and SACD layers of this SACD, Track 6 (A Man and a Woman):

vs. the UHQCD version, same track. I did not have time to compare the entire album, track by track. I hope to do that next weekend.

Let me get to the punchline: UHQCD wins hands down against both the CD and SACD layers. I think you guys know I like Jacintha alot. After playing the well mastered Groove Note LPs, the CD layer was difficult to listen to. The SACD smoother but still had glare. The UHQCD was just smoother, more refined, more continuous than both RBCD and SACD layers. Sustain of notes were more natural and less discrete. There was more texture to Jacintha's voice, more like the LP I listen to so often. I did not get a sense of increased soundstage width or depth, just better separation of instruments and vocals, as if the noise floor dropped on the recording. I would love my entire CD collection to sound like this!

I had an audiophile friend of mine here on Friday to share some tunes. I wish I did this A/B exercise then just to get a second opinion. I hope to A/B the rest of the album next weekend. I also want to rip the UHQCD and the CD layer and compare them through my streamer and see if I still hear the same difference. But this quick test was very promising. I was beginning to buy more SACDs in the hope of better sound on the road. Maybe I will buy more UHQCDs instead now.

Definitely worth a try IMO, especially if you have a predominately digital collection.

Leave a comment:

• Andymodern
    replied

Very nice.

Let me try later today. I don't have regular RBCD to compare to, but I think I have a hybrid SACD version and will compare to the CD layer on that disc.
    Looking forward to hearing the result.

Leave a comment:

• allenh
    replied

CH Precision D1 player was used. The idea is that if it is a good recording, no matter what kind of system we are using it will sound good. If it is a bad recording, a high end system can't change it to be better one. UHQCD is just like a "good recording". Since the UHQCD technology can physically reproduce the pits and lands of metal stamper perfectly on UHQCD, UHQCD can now provide master sound of the master source. So it will work from low end to high end system.
    Very nice.

Let me try later today. I don't have regular RBCD to compare to, but I think I have a hybrid SACD version and will compare to the CD layer on that disc.

Leave a comment:

• Andymodern
    replied

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing that. I still haven't opened my UHQCD (Jacintha's Best of). What player was being used? I have a low end Denon Universal player and wonder if I will hear any difference.
    CH Precision D1 player was used. The idea is that if it is a good recording, no matter what kind of system we are using it will sound good. If it is a bad recording, a high end system can't change it to be better one. UHQCD is just like a "good recording". Since the UHQCD technology can physically reproduce the pits and lands of metal stamper perfectly on UHQCD, UHQCD can now provide master sound of the master source. So it will work from low end to high end system.
    Last edited by Andymodern; 05-29-2016, 04:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• allenh
    replied

The difference is huge! UHQCD provided wider sound stage, more space and better separation of instruments. Also it was much cleaner at the background. The stereo image of the violin was much focused. The body of violin was much in detail. Most important, the sound of violin was much sensational!
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing that. I still haven't opened my UHQCD (Jacintha's Best of). What player was being used? I have a low end Denon Universal player and wonder if I will hear any difference.

Leave a comment:

• Andymodern
    replied
    Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Thanks and welcome to the forum Andy!

What were the major differences you heard between the two formats?
    The difference is huge! UHQCD provided wider sound stage, more space and better separation of instruments. Also it was much cleaner at the background. The stereo image of the violin was much focused. The body of violin was much in detail. Most important, the sound of violin was much sensational!

Leave a comment:

• bmoura
    replied

Or especially the new soon to be released hand pressed UHQR LPs made with clarity vinyl from Chad! Suspect we'll see them sometime in 2016.
    That reminds me of Chad's response to a question at one of the DSD Discussions hosted by David Robinson. The question: why does Acoustic Sounds charge more for the SACD version of an album compared to the Stereo CD? Chad: "Sometimes you want a burger, and sometimes you want steak"....

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    I demonstrated the difference between these 2 formats: UHQCD and SHM-CD in the High End Show Munich. The result is overwhelming. The audiences were surprised by the sonic sound of UHQCD.
    Thanks and welcome to the forum Andy!

What were the major differences you heard between the two formats?

Leave a comment:

• Andymodern
    replied
    Another title of UHQCD released in Hong Kong.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Andymodern
    replied
    I demonstrated the difference between these 2 formats: UHQCD and SHM-CD in the High End Show Munich. The result is overwhelming. The audiences were surprised by the sonic sound of UHQCD.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    OK.

• JCOConnell
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, the one at acoustic sounds is the same issue but cheaper because its not a low number.

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

is it a BIS or a MOFI release? I see acoustic sounds has a 2-lp 33rpm set for $65 limited edition of 1000 cut by stan ricker, is this it?
    Audionautes in Italy.

http://www.audionautesrecordings.com/index.html

Leave a comment:

• JCOConnell
    replied

The 45 rpm reissue has been available for a while now! Get it before it goes OOP.
    is it a BIS or a MOFI release? I see acoustic sounds has a 2-lp 33rpm set for $65 limited edition of 1000 cut by stan ricker, is this it?
    Last edited by JCOConnell; 04-12-2016, 09:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X