X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

I have the standard reissue CD of this and the highs are wonky. Would love a good reissue LP. Was Stan Ricker working on an upcoming LP release?
    The 45 rpm reissue has been available for a while now! Get it before it goes OOP.

Leave a comment:

• JCOConnell
    replied
    Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    AN-1603 UHQ - La Spagna in UHQCD, Ultimate High Quality CD.

It will be presented in Munich, High End show May 5-8 2016, at the CH Precision room A4.2 F221 (A4.1 E115). The demos will compare CD vs HQCD vs UHQCD vs Crystal Disc. The inventor of UHQCD came from Japan to explain the secrets of the process. The difference between CD and UHQCD is not a detail, it is something really huge. We did the tests and decided to skip the GOLD CD for La Spagna, choosing this format instead.

The title will be then available downstair (see references in that room).

La Spagna in UHQCD is the very first title made in UHQCD by a label outside Asia! We hope you can compare and enjoy!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n11161[/ATTACH]

Maybe anyone going to Munich can check this out and report back!

PS. The release comes from AudioNautes in Italy who gave us the recent analog reissue of La Spagna as well as some 45 rpm reissues of some Three Blind Mice titles, The Four Seasons, Flute de Pan Et Orgue, etc.

PPS. La Spagna was one of the last lacquers Stan Ricker cut before he sadly passed away.
    I have the standard reissue CD of this and the highs are wonky. Would love a good reissue LP. Was Stan Ricker working on an upcoming LP release?

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by mep View Post
    I like my hamburgers hand-pressed, but I'm not sure about LPs. What is the advantage? I thought part of Chad's claim to great sounding LPs was the amount of automation over temperature and cycling times for his presses. What happens when you start to hand-press them?
    he has at least three finebilt hand presses now. The advantage is QC, esp with 200g, working at a slower pace allows fine adjustments eliminating off center records and other defects.

Leave a comment:

• gjm
    replied
    A quick search on eBay.com shows a number of titles available on UHQCD.

I have several HDCDs and XRCDs. For me, they are a step up from many stock 'normal' CDs, but that could as easily be down to mastering, recording or similar. Not as good (imo) as SACD which I genuinely find to be a significant improvement.

I'm keen to hear the results of Allen's listening.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    AN-1603 UHQ - La Spagna in UHQCD, Ultimate High Quality CD.

It will be presented in Munich, High End show May 5-8 2016, at the CH Precision room A4.2 F221 (A4.1 E115). The demos will compare CD vs HQCD vs UHQCD vs Crystal Disc. The inventor of UHQCD came from Japan to explain the secrets of the process. The difference between CD and UHQCD is not a detail, it is something really huge. We did the tests and decided to skip the GOLD CD for La Spagna, choosing this format instead.

The title will be then available downstair (see references in that room).

La Spagna in UHQCD is the very first title made in UHQCD by a label outside Asia! We hope you can compare and enjoy!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	12998174_593467727484852_4552971693154590025_o.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	11161

Maybe anyone going to Munich can check this out and report back!

PS. The release comes from AudioNautes in Italy who gave us the recent analog reissue of La Spagna as well as some 45 rpm reissues of some Three Blind Mice titles, The Four Seasons, Flute de Pan Et Orgue, etc.

PPS. La Spagna was one of the last lacquers Stan Ricker cut before he sadly passed away.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by mep View Post
    I like my hamburgers hand-pressed, but I'm not sure about LPs. What is the advantage? I thought part of Chad's claim to great sounding LPs was the amount of automation over temperature and cycling times for his presses. What happens when you start to hand-press them?

http://www.qualityrecordpressings.co...fm?go=projects

You also skip a generation among other things like the Clarity vinyl:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...b6Wvv2tdSiT.97

Last time I spoke to Chad, he had acquired a third hand press machine and had hired someone to train on the Finebuilt press.

Part of the price is the extra work that goes into the pressing, the Clarity vinyl, the limited quantity, etc. I was a little disappointed though (and maybe it will change) that the first UHQR would be mastered at 33 rpm. Maybe some will be 45 rpm.

Leave a comment:

• mep
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JCOConnell
    replied
    Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Or especially the new soon to be released hand pressed UHQR LPs made with clarity vinyl from Chad! Suspect we'll see them sometime in 2016.
    This is good news, just hope they are not as expensive as the original UHQRs were back in 1982. (adjusting for inflation )

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
    I'll take a UHQR ( Ultra High Quality RECORD) please.

Or especially the new soon to be released hand pressed UHQR LPs made with clarity vinyl from Chad! Suspect we'll see them sometime in 2016.

Leave a comment:

• JCOConnell
    replied
    I'll take a UHQR ( Ultra High Quality RECORD) please.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
    For what it's worth disks do sound diffent although one needs A system that can show this change. I burn CDs from hirez and even from downloaded PCM they do matter , what does not matter is coloring the dos with a marker and whole sort of other crazy tweeks.
    In servers everything has an effect , psu , cables , USB cards and so on .
    ​Believe it or not, the blank CD Roms of today are not as good as years ago. When I visited Bob Ludwig back in '99, he bemoaned the quality of what he was having to send for duplicating. The number of pinholes in the disc that was inducing error correction had increased tremendously. (he demoed it to me also.) Now that might have been corrected or gotten worse in the intervening years.

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    replied
    For what it's worth disks do sound diffent although one needs A system that can show this change. I burn CDs from hirez and even from downloaded PCM they do matter , what does not matter is coloring the dos with a marker and whole sort of other crazy tweeks.
    In servers everything has an effect , psu , cables , USB cards and so on .

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    20 years ago (?), David Chesky was playing with different combos of metals (aluminum and gold) and plastics (neonex and normal plastic). IIRC, Neonex has a different optical clarity than the normal plastic (clarity usually relates to how well aligned the polymers are).

He gave me four CDs to compare

1. Norrnal plastic/Aluminum
    2. Normal plastic/Gold
    3. Neonex/Aluminum
    4. Neonex/Gold

Bottom line was they all sounded different. Not necessarily better. For instance, #2 sounded better but because it rolled the top end up getting rid of the digital nasties. I seem to remember liking the Al/Neonex too but not sure what ever became of this experiment. Maybe the neonex was too expensive back then.

Leave a comment:

• bpw
    replied
    I sent a link to this page to my friend and associate Bob Spence, who makes Essence of Music digital treatment (http://essence-of-music.com/). He found it very interesting and commented, "I would expect this change in the data layer will be audible. It would be interesting to hear a side by side comparison of original HQCD and the new UHQCD."

We'll have Bob's product in our room (554) at AXPONA here in Chicago to demo.

Leave a comment:

• mep
    replied
    Cool!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X