Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madfloyd
    replied
    MylesBAstor did you ever do the comparison?

Leave a comment:

• chrisfromri
    replied
    deleted
    Last edited by chrisfromri; 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Johnno
    replied
    Hi. I'm new to Audio Nirvana and came across it while doing a search for UHQCDs.It looks like a great series of forums.

I became interested in these discs after reading Ken Kessler's "Off The Leash" column in a fairly recent issue of "Hi-FI News". He had decided to purchase a number from Japan and had been pleased with most of the (I think) twenty he had bought and, as I knew absolutely nothing about the discs, I decided to investigate. I ended up buying three first time around and was so impressed with them that I bought a further three, Two of them are classical, one is electronica and the other three are English Progressive Rock (Genesis and Yes albums). One of the latter is a revelation. I have a number of different CD issues of "Close To The Edge" but none of them sound very good - often containing considerable compression and relative harshness at the top end.The UHQCD version is the first time I've been satisfied with the sound of the album in a digital format. (I should mention that I have a Japanese SACD of it as well and that leaves a lot to be desired too). The electronica is Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" - I'm a huge TD fan - and the UHQCD is the best sound I've heard from a digital format of that album too. The Japanese SACD I have of that has a dry, unatmospheric sound which robs the recording of spaciousness and depth. The UHQCD restores all that and sounds stunning.
    Two of the albums are MQA-encoded but I have no way of decoding them - at least at present.
    I suppose I do wonder about the long term stability of the photopolymer employed in the production of these discs. Are they going to undergo physical changes over time?
    Finally, I wonder if SACDs would benefit from the use of photopolymers in their manufacture? I'm a big SACD fan too.

Leave a comment:

• Andymodern
    replied
    Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Just in from AudioNautes Italy. Will be interesting to compared to CD and LP (original and reissue).
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n19653[/ATTACH]
    Hi Myles,

Looking forward to your comparison!

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply

• Hugh
    commented on 's reply
    You too?

Too bad, they killed off the doctor.

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    This evening. Before The Last Ship.

Leave a comment:

• allenh
    replied
    Do the comparo yet Myles?

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Just in from AudioNautes Italy. Will be interesting to compared to CD and LP (original and reissue).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20160624_194140_1466811744400.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	19653

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    I agree Al and I don't think that RBCD is dead either.

Years ago thanks to David Chesky, I had a chance to play with CDs made from Zeonex plus Al or Au or normal polycarbonate plus Al or Au. (I bet I still have them in storage too.) Clearly material made a difference then and should make a bigger difference today especially with improvements in mastering.

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Myles this sounds very good as cd is still a simple perhaps the most simple way to play digital. I have done comparisons from downloads and my SACD rips . While there are differences it's not about one is better it's simple different. Just to make a point in rips. Rips let as an image and played are in some ways better than once I convert the image to tracks . Keep this in mind digital is all,about the math nothing we hear is analog it's all converted so what software or methods used effects the sound . Then it goes further by what playback software we use and it's settings. Like kernel streaming sounds better than Asio . Digital payback is far more complex than analog . It has all the issues to overcome like analog and then has a massive a pint of computor computations with all of its adjustments. It would take several paragraphs to decribe the many settings in my server . Even if you buy a server like aurendar it's just setup in voicing no choices left . In my server I have any settings to shape what I
    Ike . Just inserting a disk sounds very cool lol

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Fabio is sending me the UHQCD of La Spagna and should have this or next week. So will have for the purpose of comparison:

CD version
    UHQCD Audionautes version
    Original LP release
    Audionautes LP reissue

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by allenh View Post
    That would be very cool. UHQCD is very good, but I would surprised if it surpassed LP or tape.

FWIW, trying out a few more titles, though I don't have other CD versions to compare to:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n17818[/ATTACH]
    I don't expect the UHQCD to better the tape or record. I am curious, however, just how good RBCD can sound. Wouldn't it be interesting if we don't need high rez digital? Just kidding.....

Leave a comment:

• allenh
    replied
    That would be very cool. UHQCD is very good, but I would surprised if it surpassed LP or tape.

FWIW, trying out a few more titles, though I don't have other CD versions to compare to:

Click image for larger version

Name:	UHQCDs.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	17818

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Just a little further update on the UHQCD. Have been PMing back and forth with Fabio from AudioNautes and it appears the La Spagna UHQCDs will ship this week. I also asked him if it might be possible to get even one cut from the tape from comparison sake. So would have original and reissued LP, CD and UHQCD to compare to the 15 ips tape. He's going to run that past the powers to be at Bis and get back to me. I think the odds are against me but you never know until you ask.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X