Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honesty without consequences

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xbw2p8ng5...fG1BOVHma?dl=0

Above is a link to a drop box link .it contains 3 tracks , two being dsd 128 and one pcm all owned by me and ripped .
    The pcm is from an ultra cd that proves great pcm is also great music . the drums are immense so it will tax your system but that is not why I choose it . its live as in you are at the event .
    Of the many shows I have been to and ill bet most here have been to many more rarely was the audio great . music and its ability yes but for us cray people ill guess not in quality .
    The other 2 are what I feel is how good digital dsd can be weather you or anyone feel its great will prove the point I need to make. the one track is from myles a man who really loves this stuff and is kind enough to share his passion , maybe to keep it going lol/ but honesty I feel its much deeper than that . rising sun is a great haunting song that shows an analog tape transfer to dsd can still be great . the second is a rip of a old very old vinyl 45 rip from an audio bud who has some really hi end stuff . The a to d is an msb the rest I have forgotten . it is a top end all in setup . as myles would say its noisy lol its only in two places a low pop .its a very young louis A.

NOW WHY ..... this hobby has many of us who share knowledge but never our own unrestricted thoughts . its rarely is as it is , kindness while cool and needed sometimes gets in the way a bit . what I would like is us to play them and remark in an honest no bull hold back . and then I would like those willing to participate with some of there own best of the best so to speak. remember its not about great music its about shear honesty in how good it sounds on your setup . all of them can be played loud except the drums please play it once to decide a max impact volume to really feel the event . I played this for an audio bud at high volume he has heard many hi end systems he loved on mine . the after impacts of the drums is what really there is . reverbs of them I think some call it .

please read my ramblings and ask questions if needed .

thanks all of you
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

I listened to the 16/44 pcm drum track, and while digital is excellent for bass heavy music such as this, where it is lacking is in music with a lot of midrange and highs, it just does not have the resolution.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Very true it has dynamics but not musicality or hi resolution but hiw was the live feel. It reminds of one the early shows of cerc de sole. I seen them a a few times and always good audio tracks. Maggie's leave nothing to hide.
      great reply.
      I am going to add one track the will add to what is missing in the pcm track. And I thanks any and all for replying.
      analog stuff.
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

I just added a cd rip you cannot download , a more rounded example of great red book . this cd is why I bought infinity speakers at lyric nyc many many years ago . play just a dream the voice dynamics will make you jump . every track on there is great music as well as quality I cannot think of any studio album that has such sound consistency .
        analog stuff.
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

please play Apollo daze , its a track will show you if your digital source is clean , the sax and brushed symbols show jitter noise . its very clean and multiple types of cymboles getting hit and brushed at the same time . if you hear hiss that is jitter , most any dac can play pretty good with a great source .
          analog stuff.
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Al, I have nothing serious at home to listen to the tracks on.
            In my 40 years of being an audiophile, I am certain there is no such thing as honesty without consequences, tread very carefully.

Comment

You do load the files and play them. If your weather has cleared up I would more than happy to send you a server
              no money just for you to hear hiw good it can be. I would do for all here send it around as long others pay each fair
              I can load it up woth music and even there dac drivers a head of time. This I have done before. No money just trying to help some who want it. Didgital gets a bad rap mostly for lack of good sourcing that is an honest truth see there can be Cary lol.
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                please play Apollo daze , its a track will show you if your digital source is clean , the sax and brushed symbols show jitter noise . its very clean and multiple types of cymboles getting hit and brushed at the same time . if you hear hiss that is jitter , most any dac can play pretty good with a great source .
                I downloaded and played Apollo daze, and while it sounds superb for a cd, it just cant match a really good Lp for the sound of the horns. there is no air on the digital recording, and observing the waveform envelopes, there is not a lot of dynamic range either.
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Thanks again for replying. What do you mean wave firm envelopes. I lists low but can get very loud meaning the headroom is there. For a cd it does seem to be compressed to me . Play just a dream to better view or hear the full dynamic range . As fir horns they are not the best on some tracks but Apollo seemed very good to me the piano overall is what lacks fir me most on the entire cd . PCM just does no t do piano well in comaprrison to good. Dsd . In fact in the digital realm very few dacs do it well period my lampi spanks my msb easily. Now maybe the new msb is beyond that now.
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

I downloaded and played Apollo daze, and while it sounds superb for a cd, it just cant match a really good Lp for the sound of the horns. there is no air on the digital recording, and observing the waveform envelopes, there is not a lot of dynamic range either.
                    may I ask what DAC you use and transport or server ?

analog stuff.
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

In this case, goldwave digital audio editing suite for playback software, DAC is real tek hd chipset, everything running on a desktop under win 10. I also downloaded another track off the CD "everyday I have the blues" which sounded a little better to me in terms of dynamics.

Comment

The Armstrong track is excellent. What LP is that from? What TT, cart and phono pre did you use? I have the Basie LP (Pablo 1980) recorded at 96/24, It's one of my favorite Basie recordings.

I'm using an exaSound e12, Project Ember headphone amp and Hifiman HE 500. I also played the Armstrong track on Audio Note 2.1 Sig, tube pre, Threshold s550e with Maggie 3a. Sounds great there too.

Comment

The Basie is from a CD

Comment

• RandyRobinson
                            RandyRobinson commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, I was asking about the Armstrong track. I have the Basie LP.

Originally posted by RandyRobinson View Post
                          The Armstrong track is excellent. What LP is that from? What TT, cart and phono pre did you use? I have the Basie LP (Pablo 1980) recorded at 96/24, It's one of my favorite Basie recordings.

I'm using an exaSound e12, Project Ember headphone amp and Hifiman HE 500. I also played the Armstrong track on Audio Note 2.1 Sig, tube pre, Threshold s550e with Maggie 3a. Sounds great there too.
                          I have heard of that release but never could find it.
                          Can you. Be kind to add it to the folder.

Ot it was from a 800 45 one song on each side
                          it's very old had a black and red label. I have a friend in Europe that I made a deal with. I buy he rips and keeps it
                          that record was resold it was too expensive to keep. I. It noisey as Myles would say but it's still very good.
                          The giy has really hienz stuff I have no idea though only the Ad converter I know of. Glad you do headphones too. My fav Hifi man is HE6 on my woo WA5. The new he1000 are a bit mid reassessed for me.
                          analog stuff.
                          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Jc feels the cd is not dynamic I feel it's fine but plays low leaving headroom some songs at the end get very loud when the while group comes in. He feels the horns are not good I feel he is correct to a point they are not the shiw case there. Vocals and drums are the focal but even the drums lacks bit. But the symbols and vocals could be the last thing I hear musically.
                            How clean are the symbols only Ina good source can you hear he brushsss and gentle hits
                            Eddie clean head is so up front you can hear him slurs and spit lol. Very glad this is picking up and please no holding back at all it's kinda my view in complete honesty
                            tidal does have the song but a very diffeent version very slow
                            if your system is good he mumbles a lot amd comes from behind the left creeeping in of I close my eyes.
                            All
                            of that music is sit back and close out eyes and let it all happen.
                            analog stuff.
                            Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                            X