SugarCube SC-1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SugarCube SC-1

Will be adding the SugarCube SC-1 to the analog signal path of my system. I truly believe that the folks at sweet vinyl have done their homework over the past 5 years in creating an innovative product that eliminates those unwelcome clicks and pops when trying to enjoy the analog part of my system without detracting or adding any sonic signature to the records playback. I heard the unit live briefly at AXPONA this past year and was quite impressed. I will follow up with further thoughts once I have lived with the SC-1 in my system. I plan to use the tape loop in my Aesthetix calypso so I can maintain the puriest signal path for those records that play free of any noise artifacts.

Originally posted by chris h View Post
    Will be adding the SugarCube SC-1 to the analog signal path of my system. I truly believe that the folks at sweet vinyl have done their homework over the past 5 years in creating an innovative product that eliminates those unwelcome clicks and pops when trying to enjoy the analog part of my system without detracting or adding any sonic signature to the records playback. I heard the unit live briefly at AXPONA this past year and was quite impressed. I will follow up with further thoughts once I have lived with the SC-1 in my system. I plan to use the tape loop in my Aesthetix calypso so I can maintain the puriest signal path for those records that play free of any noise artifacts.
    It will be great to hear about your experiences. For my ripping project, I can remove clicks and pops and other surface noise, but only after I digitized the files and run the file through a separate program, not in real time. It would be great to have a device that works in real time and has no audible effect on the musical content. I think the technology has been there for some time (for example in the program I use, Izotope RX3 Advanced), but not in real time. Many years ago I bought two different devices that promised similar results, an SAE 5000? click and pop eliminator, and a Burwen TNE (transient noise eliminator), but the technology was not that advanced, and definitely was not transparent.

The holy grail of click and pop elimination in real time has been difficult quest until the computing power of today.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiGG, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Larry I have read of all the yester year gear and software that did this and the plus minus results that followed. The one thing I know that these guys waited a long time before bring it to market the other desirable features is that all updates are done automatically when not on use to improve hopefully in your records playback. Lastly as a company sweetvinyl has been very communicative with any questions or concerns or ideas you may have? They really buy into and believe in their product :-}}

Originally posted by chris h View Post

i was at Music Direct and had a brief listen to the Sugar Cube in action, and it worked as advertised. it removed the pops and clicks and didn't notice a change in the overall sound with the sugar cube in action, only the removal of the pops/clicks.

Imo: if you own a bunch of records that have issues or looking to buy records at garage sales or just some play copies for cheap. could be a worthwhile purchase!

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      I personally have found to this point in time having purchased a number of records form org analogue productions and so on that very few are artifact free no matter how good the pressing is. I believe this imperfect science that can yield that analog sound the chances are marginal IMO in getting a record that is completely free of this problem. So for me this makes the SC-1 a welcome source to my room. :-}}

I was reading some of the reviews of the SC-1 and there was one puzzling comment. It said something about not removing scratches. Obviously, it doesn't physically remove scratches, but does this mean that it will not remove the sound of the scratch? I think of a scratch as a loud click or pop. The transient symmetrical nature of a scratch is, I believe, relatively easy for a computer algorithm to remove and fill in with sample material interpolated from each side of the scratch. That is what Izotope RX does, albeit not in real time.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiGG, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      There are some areas that I know that Sweetvinyl is still addressing with their two products. I am told that they will offer upgrade packages that will address other noise artifacts that will be backward compatible with original release models. For example one area had to do with the noise that is heard on the lead in groove and how to eliminate it. I will say that the record they were demoing at AXPONA look like a file 13 candidate. I would never subject my stylus to a record in such poor condition and yet it played totally clean with their technology in line in real time. I cannot say enough about a company that places an importance by valuing every purchase that is made and allowing these upgrades to be made.to us the end user.
Working...
X