Vimak DT-800- any experience here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vimak DT-800- any experience here?

I bought one of these mysterious units a while back, with a broken tray drive gear (some dope had driven a screw into the front to facilitate opening!) and other supposed "issues". It did play, and play beautifully but the limited info I could find indicated capacitor problems that could prove fatal. I sent it to a very good local tech who has had it for over a year- he's flying blind with no schematic and all sorts of proprietary parts inside, plus has a fair workload anyway. Still, in that time he has replaced the gear drive and all caps, reflowed as many solder joints as he could get to and replaced some other whatsits inside as well. It's all witchcraft to me!

I also sourced a NOS Philips CDM9pro as a spare, just in case. The question is, has anyone here used one, owned one, heard one? I'd love to acquire a schematic and/or manual so some of the unusual features become clearer. Thanks!
    "The Satchel" handmade leather record bag
    Custom racks and speaker stands
    https://www.webstagram.one/user/grizzlyworks_racks
    https://www.facebook.com/grizzlycustom/

Team global vintage/modern
    Turntable- Pioneer PL-50L + Benz Micro Wood SL
    Phono- Graham Slee Elevator + Reflex M
    CD- Vimak DT-800
    DAC- TEAC UD-501
    Pre- Bel Canto Pre2P
    Power- Yamaha B-1 and B-2(both fully restored)
    Speakers- Energy Veritas 2.8

Given that my limited research results gave an overwhelming response of "wonderful, but temperamental and fragile" I decided to have it thoroughly gone over by an exceptional local tech. The brief- "Take as long as you need and sort out any issues you may find". John worked on the beast sporadically when time permitted and discovered someone had replaced many of the original caps with the cheapest rubbish possible so this was duly rectified as well as a number of IC units which needed changing and many dry solder joints. 16 months, 52 caps, 4 ICs, one battery and a drive wheel later I finally got it back last night after John very conveniently brought it over from KI on one of his regular trips.

It's worth noting that John was flying completely blind on this one as there are no schematics available, and none of my enquiries to people in Europe who had evidently worked on these in the past yielded even a response, let alone any useful information. I'm still hopeful that someone may have a manual somewhere that I can copy to learn the mysterious functions and how they all work.

Oddly when I plugged it in last night there was zero analogue output. John mentioned that it can take a short while to "stabilise", and we did have a digital signal coming out (even so, I was very anxious!) so I left it in standby overnight to find that we did indeed have music this morning. YAY!! I'll experiment with how long this stabilisation takes as the power draw even in standby seems a bit (power supply side is still quite warm). Still, if it sounds as good as I remember, that can be forgiven. Hopefully there will be a chance tonight or tomorrow for a serious sit down session.

CD- Vimak DT-800
    DAC- TEAC UD-501
    Pre- Bel Canto Pre2P

Comment

As a Hi-Fi audio component manufacturer, Vimak Audio LLC designs products with real sound reproduction and perfect audio effects. I am pleased to read the reviews of those who have already used this product.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly View Post
        Given that my limited research results gave an overwhelming response of "wonderful, but temperamental and fragile" I decided to have it thoroughly gone over by an exceptional local tech. The brief- "Take as long as you need and sort out any issues you may find". John worked on the beast sporadically when time permitted and discovered someone had replaced many of the original caps with the cheapest rubbish possible so this was duly rectified as well as a number of IC units which needed changing and many dry solder joints. 16 months, 52 caps, 4 ICs, one battery and a drive wheel later I finally got it back last night after John very conveniently brought it over from KI on one of his regular trips.

It's worth noting that John was flying completely blind on this one as there are no schematics available, and none of my enquiries to people in Europe who had evidently worked on these in the past yielded even a response, let alone any useful information. I'm still hopeful that someone may have a manual somewhere that I can copy to learn the mysterious functions and how they all work.

Oddly when I plugged it in last night there was zero analogue output. John mentioned that it can take a short while to "stabilise", and we did have a digital signal coming out (even so, I was very anxious!) so I left it in standby overnight to find that we did indeed have music this morning. YAY!! I'll experiment with how long this stabilisation takes as the power draw even in standby seems a bit (power supply side is still quite warm). Still, if it sounds as good as I remember, that can be forgiven. Hopefully there will be a chance tonight or tomorrow for a serious sit down session.
        The only person I knew who was associated with Vimak, unfortunately, passed away in 2015. 🥺

You might try emailing this person. Perhaps the person who worked on his unit could assist your tech.

https://www.audiogon.com/users/vadimgal
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffeaked View Post
          As a Hi-Fi audio component manufacturer, Vimak Audio LLC designs products with real sound reproduction and perfect audio effects. I am pleased to read the reviews of those who have already used this product.
          I have no idea what this is meant to mean. Vimak have been out of business a very long time.

CD- Vimak DT-800
          DAC- TEAC UD-501
          Pre- Bel Canto Pre2P

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

The only person I knew who was associated with Vimak, unfortunately, passed away in 2015. 🥺

You might try emailing this person. Perhaps the person who worked on his unit could assist your tech.

https://www.audiogon.com/users/vadimgal
            Thanks Myles.

An update, the following morning we had sound, which continued to be glorious for a week......

Most Tuesdays a good mate comes over and we chew the fat and spin a few tunes. Old Captain Vimak decided to throw a little fit and froze with all fascia lights on. Nothing would change it. Powering off and back on resulted in a few seconds of music before having another "senior moment"

More emails to John (the tech). He suggested removing the small internal battery and replacing. On the weekend I opened it up, fired it up and got the same "all lights on but no action" so I did as suggested, but also pushed the drawer open from the inside and put the disc in, then just press play. And it worked. I left it going for about 20 minutes before we had to head out and there were no untoward things happening. So finally, with much trepidation I put it back in the system and am glad to report no further problems!

Apparently the standby switch only does two things- mutes the output and switch off the display. Aside from that all the circuitry is running at full steam, all the time. It does generate quite a bit of heat. John urged me to power it off at the mains when not in use, which I ignored. Perhaps that was the cause of the problem? Anyway since then I am doing just that and allowing a few minutes of warm up/stabilising before use. I think an isolation switch at the rear (a la Naim) will be a useful modification.

Anyway, she is smoooooooth. Not flashy so initially can sound a bit dull, but draws you in like good gear does and you just keep listening. I suspect, given the amount of new components, a good few hours use will be in order before things settle and sound even better!

CD- Vimak DT-800
            DAC- TEAC UD-501
            Pre- Bel Canto Pre2P

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly View Post

Thanks Myles.

An update, the following morning we had sound, which continued to be glorious for a week......

Most Tuesdays a good mate comes over and we chew the fat and spin a few tunes. Old Captain Vimak decided to throw a little fit and froze with all fascia lights on. Nothing would change it. Powering off and back on resulted in a few seconds of music before having another "senior moment"

More emails to John (the tech). He suggested removing the small internal battery and replacing. On the weekend I opened it up, fired it up and got the same "all lights on but no action" so I did as suggested, but also pushed the drawer open from the inside and put the disc in, then just press play. And it worked. I left it going for about 20 minutes before we had to head out and there were no untoward things happening. So finally, with much trepidation I put it back in the system and am glad to report no further problems!

Apparently the standby switch only does two things- mutes the output and switch off the display. Aside from that all the circuitry is running at full steam, all the time. It does generate quite a bit of heat. John urged me to power it off at the mains when not in use, which I ignored. Perhaps that was the cause of the problem? Anyway since then I am doing just that and allowing a few minutes of warm up/stabilising before use. I think an isolation switch at the rear (a la Naim) will be a useful modification.

Anyway, she is smoooooooth. Not flashy so initially can sound a bit dull, but draws you in like good gear does and you just keep listening. I suspect, given the amount of new components, a good few hours use will be in order before things settle and sound even better!
              Yes, Vimak along with Altis Audio back in the 90s were at the forefront of single bit DAC technology.
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
              -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
              -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
              -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
              -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Working...
              X