CD player sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD player sound

we all or most here have one or two floating around hell I use one as a reference. Why a CD player is a facet view needed as part of a reference to model out systems too.
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Not 100% sure of your topic. I have a heavily modified Oppo 205 with a tube based output stage and separate power supply. I am very pleased with the sound and feel it supplements my analog very well. Though not inexpensive($6K), I have never had better digital in my system. Because I own almost 400 CD's(About 800+ LP's), I have stayed old school with a CD player.

Exploring thoughts on a server. When my wife has parties or people over, I try to ignore their requests for some truly crappy music(I am such a good host). I currently use a Wadia 171 with an iPod thru my A/V system(All solid state) It would be nice to have a better selection and higher quality sound.
    CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S2 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version),Eficion F300 Speakers(Stillpoints Customized), Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Python Zitron Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

I still use my CD player as my primary source given the extensive collection. Not that I would give up my vinyl. I may have to bite the bullet and set up some sort of a server as I just spent 20 minutes looking through two rooms for a misfiled disc. I'd need the kind of ripper you feed 50 discs to at a time, sort of set it and forget it to quote Ron Popeil.

Comment

Lol rust you must have a lot of cd s.
        My point is we each need more than one playback device. We each need more than one setup to. I use headphones
        three sets two amps and a CD player.
        They are tools at this point really while none of them give nearly the satisfaction of my speaker rig.
        But they do help confirm things I hear at certain levels.
        Did you ever play a new cd or download of a song you know well. And as you play it hear new sounds. Or the singer is more back or forward. How do we know what is the correct sound ? Well we don't but if we use a few playback and sound reproduction methods this puts a few lights to look at.
        While and CD player is not perfect and dacs improve over time too. They do a few things very well.
        For one they sound more powerful as does red book in general. As i play higher resolution this changes.
        Now maybe most don't hear this nor pay attention either and this is ok. For me listening is always in two parts one emotion the second a scientist lol.
        Red book alone has more bite and power in sound and as I go above this layers appear more separated and smaller sound changes and lower noise floor are in part why.
        A CD player if made well is a fines tuned one trick pony of sorts and it's not an accident that a well made 8 year old one still sounds good. Yes dacs have improved but the fact remains they still do things well.
        In years of making my severs a well made CD player was the focus to use to best it.
        Remember when a green line marker was used to make cd s sound better ? How about shm too. Yes they do make great remasters but they name means super high materials. The actual cd used makes a profound change when played. So how do we know what's better or worse
        by me using many or helps make choices to move towards
        by the way when we rip and cd it becomes just bits and now the server / steamer used makes the sound.
        In the past I owned a msb stack the cost of the sacd / cd / streamer was about 12k some 5 years ago. It took me years to surpass it overall.
        A good CD player is just that a good producer of sound and one that uses a tube output stage adds magic too.

Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
          Not 100% sure of your topic. I have a heavily modified Oppo 205 with a tube based output stage and separate power supply. I am very pleased with the sound and feel it supplements my analog very well. Though not inexpensive($6K), I have never had better digital in my system. Because I own almost 400 CD's(About 800+ LP's), I have stayed old school with a CD player.

Exploring thoughts on a server. When my wife has parties or people over, I try to ignore their requests for some truly crappy music(I am such a good host). I currently use a Wadia 171 with an iPod thru my A/V system(All solid state) It would be nice to have a better selection and higher quality sound.
          A simple low cost server is a laptop or better a desk top left alone to only play music. If your wadia allows for a digital input , coax or optical you could use it as a dac too.
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Hawk
            Hawk commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Al. I looked at the back of the Wadia and it does not have a digital input or input of any kind. On the good news front, I can use the digital input on the back of my Exemplar Oppo 205. I will mess around with my extra lap top for a while. If I like it, I may eventually move forward with a dedicated server & DAC.

• Kingrex
            Kingrex commented
            Editing a comment
            So software as well as updated PS are no longer necessary. This is a pretty confusing comment Al. Even MEP found a decent purpose built device is far better than a laptop or desktop. A basic laptop or desktop (IMO) is a playback device, not an audio device.

I have both a SACD player and two DACs which receive lossless and hi-res files from my music server (which is a MacMini). All of it is nice but not high end digital gear. To my ears the Oppo Sonica DAC is the best sounding of the 3 by a very slight margin.
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
          DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Working...
          X