Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the new OPPO UDP-205 be a giant killer DAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the new OPPO UDP-205 be a giant killer DAC?

Could the new player be also an external DAC that can be connected to NAS via Ethernet/WiFi with a bridge or at least be driven by a computer running Jriver or likes? The 105 could only play DSD56 via limited use from USB port and wasn't a true external DAC, IMO.

The the question will be how good will its DAC be compared to the latest generation USB DACs such as Playback Design's Melot, Mytek Manhattan II, etc...

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
    Could the new player be also an external DAC that can be connected to NAS via Ethernet/WiFi with a bridge or at least be driven by a computer running Jriver or likes? The 105 could only play DSD56 via limited use from USB port and wasn't a true external DAC, IMO.

The the question will be how good will its DAC be compared to the latest generation USB DACs such as Playback Design's Melot, Mytek Manhattan II, etc...
    Buy one and let us know Ki. They are cheap at twice the price.
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

That alone tells the answer lol.
      analog stuff.
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
      sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
      thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
      kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
      phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
      speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
      mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
      digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

As a FYI this Player is not at this time capable of streaming. So Tidal and Roon, forget about it.
        Chris
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

A 100 DVD player does that how in this day can they not stream if it plays a DVD and sacd makes no sense.
          analog stuff.
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Sounds like it's time for you to buy one Ki and write us a review of your impressions!!! Can't just live on tape...

Comment

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Like to die trying though! 😉

Wow, tough crowd here at AN but I knew it though... It seems I have done a good job at placing myself into a corner and can't get out.

I regret starting this thread now... but it's a good thing I had inquired about the mere Oppo and not The WAMM Master Chronosonic.

For the record, I really didn't want this player but Mark and Joe force me to it.

Comment

• Doxycc
              Doxycc commented
              Editing a comment
              we should set up an Audionirvana kickstarter program to fund your purchase.

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
            Wow, tough crowd here at AN but I knew it though... It seems I have done a good job at placing myself into a corner and can't get out.

I regret starting this thread now... but it's a good thing I had inquired about the mere Oppo and not The WAMM Master Chronosonic.

For the record, I really didn't want this player but Mark and Joe force me to it.
            SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I have one that I am fooling around with a little bit (so far just in my secondary system) before I send it off to Modwright in a few weeks. I think (there's a bunch of discussion in the dedicated thread at AVS Forums, which I have not read) the decision to forgo streaming was that there are any number of other ways to accomplish that if desired. FWIW, I don't use a NAS, just a computer connected via USB, although as yet not even that into this unit, just optical discs and USB hard drives.
              Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
              Pass Labs INT60
              Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
              REL S3
              Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
              Torus IS5

Comment

Don't feel hurt for anyone comments. My view is to keep up with what all most all others do. That does not meani it's not good. My umt plus cost me about 12 k. And of course it does it all. But still for one hundred you can get almost all of it. My umt plus has an oppo inside as most high optical players do too.
                analog stuff.
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by rbbert View Post
                  I have one that I am fooling around with a little bit (so far just in my secondary system) before I send it off to Modwright in a few weeks. I think (there's a bunch of discussion in the dedicated thread at AVS Forums, which I have not read) the decision to forgo streaming was that there are any number of other ways to accomplish that if desired. FWIW, I don't use a NAS, just a computer connected via USB, although as yet not even that into this unit, just optical discs and USB hard drives.
                  rbbert -clarify something for me, largely due to my ignorance of digital protocols. When you say the device doesn't do "streaming" do you mean from a built in source?
                  (CCP made a similar comment to yours, above).
                  Can't you use the two channel DAC in this to stream from a dedicated server (as you mention, a NAS?) Isn't that 'streaming' or is there a particular vernacular to this that I'm missing? I brought a couple thousand CDs to Texas that had been buried in boxes for years, and was thinking it might be nice to play them on the "second" system- or rip them and play them from a server.
                  I also thought I had read that the lesser Oppo wasn't too good through the USB port-presumably for this purpose- but that everyone was awaiting this higher end Oppo for that reason. No snark here, just curious. TIA>

Comment

There aren't built-in apps for Internet (not LAN) streaming services such as Netflix, Pandora, Tidal, etc, as there are in the 9x and 10x players from Oppo. Yes it will stream from sources in a LAN (such as a NAS). It probably still won't play FLAC gapless over a network (none of the Oppo players have been able to do this).

Apparently it may be possible for Oppo to add apps for Internet streaming services via firmware update.
                    Pass Labs INT60
                    REL S3
                    Torus IS5

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

rbbert -clarify something for me, largely due to my ignorance of digital protocols. When you say the device doesn't do "streaming" do you mean from a built in source?
                      (CCP made a similar comment to yours, above).
                      Can't you use the two channel DAC in this to stream from a dedicated server (as you mention, a NAS?) Isn't that 'streaming' or is there a particular vernacular to this that I'm missing? I brought a couple thousand CDs to Texas that had been buried in boxes for years, and was thinking it might be nice to play them on the "second" system- or rip them and play them from a server.
                      I also thought I had read that the lesser Oppo wasn't too good through the USB port-presumably for this purpose- but that everyone was awaiting this higher end Oppo for that reason. No snark here, just curious. TIA>
                      Bill, I assume the new 205 will work like the 203 that I have. Like the previous 103 and 105, the new series will "stream" music files from a NAS into the Ethernet port. And the new 203/205 user interface through the remote control and screen (TV display required or remote smart phone or pad app) allows you to navigate the library on the NAS. The latest user interface is still lame. The 103/105 had built-in software to allow you to stream content such as Netflix from the Internet over your network into the Ethernet port. The new 203/205 does not have built-in software to process content "streaming" from the Internet such as Netflix and I thought that I read somewhere that they do not plan on doing so in the future.

What everyone needs to understand is that Oppo's forte is video and multichannel audio as it relates to home theater. The video quality of the less expensive 203 is drop-dead awesome and the sound quality is better than the previous 103 by a wide margin. I'm sure the 205 will sound even better. But most people looking for exceptional sound quality will be looking for having the new 205 modified by Modright or Exemplar. As a source for home theater, the Oppo's are unsurpassed in my opinion. If anyone is looking for a high performance music only DAC or network player, I'd look elsewhere, and use a really nice interface like Lumin or Roon, etc...

Comment

• Bill Hart
                        Bill Hart commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Helpful, Joe. Thnx. I've followed all the commentary over the years on Oppo as well as some of the reviews and comments on the Modwright, etc. What you say makes sense.I now better understand why folks want the "streaming app" integrated. I suppose, if you had this connected to a home theatre system, you'd then need a computer, not just for the server, but for a "streaming app" and you'd still need to integrate that in some way so that the ability to select tracks or playlists via the computer based app is integrated with the audio processing, which sounds unnecessarily complicated, if it is even possible.
                        I did just set up a new small HT set up here in Austin- nothing especially fancy-- that will be in the same room as the vintage or second hi fi system.
                        I've been streaming video programming from the likes of Amazon, using their Fire box (which is not even 4k, though the TV itself is). I sort of gave up on DVDs or Blu Rays a while ago, I had shelves of movies that I'd bought, watch once and they collected dust. (Same with many of the classics that I rebought, things like The Third Man, or Star Wars, which I thought I 'needed' but really didn't watch again much.
                        So, much as the Oppo is a bargain, it sounds like I might be better served by something else to play back all those old Redbook CDs and stream music.

Or Oppo's Sonica DAC, who's DAC and audio circuitry (and potential mods) are the same as the 205, for several hundred dollars less.
                      Pass Labs INT60
                      REL S3
                      Torus IS5

Comment

• Bill Hart
                        Bill Hart commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Rbbert- wasn't even on my radar. I'm not sure I need access to a streaming service, as such, but in view of Joe's observations (and yours), a CD transport and DAC may be better for my needs in the second system than the universal player.

Originally posted by rbbert View Post
                      There aren't built-in apps for Internet (not LAN) streaming services such as Netflix, Pandora, Tidal, etc, as there are in the 9x and 10x players from Oppo. Yes it will stream from sources in a LAN (such as a NAS). It probably still won't play FLAC gapless over a network (none of the Oppo players have been able to do this).

Apparently it may be possible for Oppo to add apps for Internet streaming services via firmware update.
                      That's pretty much what they told me
                      " Chris,

The player was designed to be more streamlined and run faster than the previous generation of players. This necessitated that we did not include any streaming services in the player. The player does, however, have the ability to be augmented through firmware, so it is always possible that we can add streaming services to the player through future firmware releases.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
                      OPPO Digital, Inc.
                      162 Constitution Dr.

I think their whole idea behind their thinking is that if streaming service were apart of the 203 and 205 that could reduce sales from their Sonica DAC which allows streaming.
                      Chris
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------
                      Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

• Bill Hart
                        Bill Hart commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, Chris. Your earlier comment started this line of questions.
                    Working...
                    X