Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the new OPPO UDP-205 be a giant killer DAC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaking of firmware upgrades, it's interesting to note that the player ships with a firmware version already out of date by 2 versions.

Comment

• cpp
      cpp commented
      Editing a comment
      Which firmware do you have ?

Their firmware is so darn easy to update in their players I don't see as a big deal.

Some commentary from Oppo as I was asking about these apps, YouTube in particular:

"The ability to support streaming services is definitely something that we are looking into supporting, but not something that we can guarantee. We wanted to concentrate on the core media playback capabilities of the player and working with streaming partners in the past has proven to be troublesome. So we will only be willing to enable streaming features that will not impact the performance of the player or lower our ability to quickly and efficiently provide software updates to our customers."
    "
    Even with YouTube we have run into problems such as when they changed the application to HTML 5 and make it incompatible with the BDP-9x series of players. Because it is always possible that a player becomes incompatible or obsolete due to third party changes, we have decided to concentrate on physical media at the moment."

"Me: Does this mean I must hang on to my 103D or buy another streamer to feed into my 205
    Let me understand how much processing and deciding does the 103 do or the 205 if I connect a streamer to the hdmi input to the 205?
    Does the signal then pass through the DAC?
    Or remain digital since it comes in and goes out to my AV preamp (Marantz 8802A)
    Appreciate your guidance"
    Oppo reply
    "On the BDP-103, the video and audio would be processed through the player on the Youtube app. Same would be true if you connect a HDMI streamer to the HDMI Input on the UDP-205. The player will do the video and audio processing and then output to your Marantz. If the UDP-205 is connected to your Marantz with analog audio cables (either RCA or XLR), then the audio signal will pass through the DAC in the UDP-205. If the UDP-205 is connected to your Marantz with a HDMI cable for both video and audio, then the audio will be pass through the DAC in the Marantz."

Until further notice...
    John M. Read PhD CPsychol;
    Oppo 103D SE, Cocktail Audio X40 SE, Marantz TT15S1 turntable. Marantz AV8802A SE, Burmester 897 Upgraded with phonostage. Emotiva XPA5, Marantz MM8077 SE, Finale Galliard 829B SE, Line Magnetic 518ia (SG Ver). Time Portal interconnect cables. Furman Elite Pfi 20, Power Transformer. PMC Twenty26, Sound Dynamics Centre and Bookshelf Dipole rears, Atacama stands, MartinLogan in-ceilings and rears, IDEA & Velodyn 12" subs. All SE by The Upgrade Company, Michigan USA.

Comment

I'm finding a lot to like about this unit. The accessibility of attached USB drives is noticeably improved. Sound quality compared to the 95 is better in every way, more detail, less harshness (not that I thought the 95 was harsh-sounding, but compared to the 205 it is a little bit) and just more listenable.

Comment

Mine is on order. I think at the moment OPPO didn't want to kill their new to be released Sonica DAC which offers streaming with a another device as its direct competition. It wouldn't be a smart business move.
        Chris
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e22Mkll, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
          Could the new player be also an external DAC that can be connected to NAS via Ethernet/WiFi with a bridge or at least be driven by a computer running Jriver or likes? The 105 could only play DSD56 via limited use from USB port and wasn't a true external DAC, IMO.

The the question will be how good will its DAC be compared to the latest generation USB DACs such as Playback Design's Melot, Mytek Manhattan II, etc...
          I think you mean the earlier Oppo BDP-105 can play DSD 64 in Stereo and Multichannel.
          Not "DSD 56".

Can it compete with higher priced DACs like the Playback Designs Merlot? You'll have to hear the Merlot and decide. I have an Oppo 105 player here. For a optical disc player its many features and modes make it very handy for that purpose. As for comparing it to the Merlot, one of the best Stereo DACs on the market, no - the Merlot has much, much better sound quality than the Oppo 105. It's not even close.

Comment

Some OPPO updates. . With all the complaining to OPPO, with the mid Sept update the 203 and the 205 now handles ROON plus OPPO added Added the Gapless Playback for music files. and in a released Beta right now is a MQA firmware update for the 205 only..
            Chris
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e22Mkll, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Originally posted by cpp View Post
              Some OPPO updates. . With all the complaining to OPPO, with the mid Sept update the 203 and the 205 now handles ROON plus OPPO added Added the Gapless Playback for music files. and in a released Beta right now is a MQA firmware update for the 205 only..
              Dramatic business shift
              First streaming app on Oppo 205
              MQA also
              perhaps more will follow!
              And half of us can choose what do with the spare 103/105

John M. Read PhD CPsychol;
              Oppo 103D SE, Cocktail Audio X40 SE, Marantz TT15S1 turntable. Marantz AV8802A SE, Burmester 897 Upgraded with phonostage. Emotiva XPA5, Marantz MM8077 SE, Finale Galliard 829B SE, Line Magnetic 518ia (SG Ver). Time Portal interconnect cables. Furman Elite Pfi 20, Power Transformer. PMC Twenty26, Sound Dynamics Centre and Bookshelf Dipole rears, Atacama stands, MartinLogan in-ceilings and rears, IDEA & Velodyn 12" subs. All SE by The Upgrade Company, Michigan USA.

Comment

• cpp
                cpp commented
                Editing a comment
                Still have my 105 and a 93. The 205 is placed into duty supporting the HT and TV viewing area. The 105 will be hitting the road along with the old 93. .

I've been holding off buying an Oppo UDP-205 as I was farily certain some major firmware updates would follow after release. Nice progress by Oppo. For now, my Oppo BDP-103 is fine whilst Oppo sort out the 205.
              Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

• Bodhi
                Bodhi commented
                Editing a comment
                rbbert, I was referring just to ironing out the initial creases after the new product had hit the market. The recent updates incl: Roon are fairly significant. Besides that, my Oppo 103 with the latest firmware update is keeping me happy for now .

• rbbert
                rbbert commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a 105 as well as a 205. The 205 is notably better in almost every way. OTOH, if you are using it only for video, the step up from the 103 the 205 may not be as significant for the price, you could just get the 203 if you want 4k video.

• Bodhi
                Bodhi commented
                Editing a comment
                You make some good points there rbbert. I envisage using the player for video 95%+ of the time. My preference for the UDP-205 was firstly to use the xlr's to gain the extra 6db of line level gain & take advantage of the superior audio for Bluray discs. But i'd also like to spin the occasional SACD since my Vitus is RBCD-only. Hence I plan to use Stillpoints & some nice cables.

Originally posted by TheNoose View Post
              And half of us can choose what do with the spare 103/105
              Don't forget that the Oppo 103 and 105 can rip DSD 64 Stereo and Multichannel audio from SACDs.
              The newer 203 and 205 models do not have that feature.

One reason that the Oppo 103 and 105 disc players, now out of production, are still in demand in the used audio equipment market.

Comment

The 205 is quite good for the $. The headphone amp is surprisingly good. Very clean and powerful on headphones direct. I get the super low noise floor of the 9038 pro dac. So far a winner.

great with UHD movies.

Comment

Working...
                X