Modems and Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modems and Router

I learned something interesting today. I've been having issues with dropouts and poor connection of all devices on my network. It doesn't matter if it's wired or wifi. I called a computer shop that has helped me many times in the past with my business machines and asked if they had a technician who could come to my house.

Maybe this is old hat to people on this form, maybe not, but I learned something new. A lot of devices people connect to the incoming utility service at their house are a multi-purpose unit. Multi-purpose as in they are a modem and they are a router. In the simplest sense a modem is the device that takes your service providers utility signal and establishes the connection between it and your house. In the simplest sense the router is a device that assigns the IP addresses between all the equipment on your network. The router many times is also the device that sends a Wi-Fi signal throughout your house.

The solution at my house turned out to be fairly simple. We added a $350 Asus AC5300 Wi-Fi router. We went into the existing multi-use Arris modem/router and turned off all functionality acting as a Wi-Fi device and router. Its only function now is that of a a modem. Thinking of it as stereo gear, it's going from an integrated unit to separate devices. The new Asus unit handles all of the IP assignments and Wi-Fi connections. It's an incredibly powerful Wi-Fi unit. It has multiple antenna and can reach anywhere in my house..

Now this should be considered a completely unsubstantiated lacking any validation claim. When we were all done and the guy had left, I went into my listening room and turn the music back on. I swear to god the digital sounded significantly better. Regardless of whether that's true or not, I no longer have any dropouts and streaming uncompressed 24 - 96 or larger files to Qobuz no longer drop out. The handshake between Roon Server and Roon remote takes about half the amount of time it used to.

Anyhow, I think anyone experiencing issues with dropouts might consider this as a solution. Separating your modem and router duties to two separate devices. One device according to the technician at my house can easily become overwhelmed.
    PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Yes - I can attest to better sound from streaming services when you separate the modem and router too. I ended up with a Netgear Nighthawk though.

Comment

This past week I installed a Motorola MB8600 modem and ASUS RT-AX88U router. Prior, we had a Motorola modem/router combo -- separate boxes noticeably improved our network performance.
      Vbr,

Sam

Comment

I’ve only ever had separates, so I don’t know if there is a difference. I do know I would be reluctant to spend much on a router, since they all seem to have fairly limited lifespans (at least as far as WiFi functionality).
        Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
        Pass Labs INT60
        Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
        REL S3
        Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
        Torus IS5

Comment

Working...
        X