No announcement yet.

MQA in TAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not try honestly. While I love playing mqa first and foremost is the vast amount of music there.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
      Tidal now marks the Mqa albums with an M like they do with E for explicit language . Hiw cookies that. So easy to find Mqa albums.
      Al, I see the M on my latest Lumin app (for the iPad). This is a nice new feature.

However, I do do not see them on my PC app. I checked my PC app and it is up to date. Is it active in the Mac app?

Comment

• Sorry. I don't own mac just pc. I don't see the M on my iPad either. But I guess it cannot play it so no M
        i do see it on three pc setups.
        America had some doubles that now are M. The catalog is growing nicely.
        I read a thread on ps audio hiw PAUL and team are putting down mqa. They did the same thing with dsd. Claiming it was not needed.
        There is a tecnical paper on the thread. For me more horse play or diversion in not wanting to commit to it.
        For me and my half dead brain it's better by a good margin even in just software. Of course a bad is still bad but less so.
        analog stuff.
        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

• rbbert
          rbbert commented
          Editing a comment
          Paul and PS Audio are pretty firmly committed to DSD. When did they "put it down"?

One big problem with MQA is that even though it may sound better today, it will still sound the same tomorrow and the day after, whereas there will be improvements made in D>A conversion from unprocessed PCM and DSD files.

• Before they released the direct stream that for me never played dsd well. I go way back with ps audio the first good dac I bought was there PWD MKII. I never really liked it
        I did the upgrade to Ds and was a beta tester it plays pcm ok but varying on firmwares it plays dsd or pcm well never both to me. I sold it a a few months back for lack of use.
        Now I love ps audio and paul
        is a greet American company for sure.
        Havin said that he did the same thing about dsd
        please take no offense in my honesty it's just my view only. Many many are very happy with the ds dac. The bridge 2 is a very good interface as well.
        analog stuff.
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

• rbbert
          rbbert commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I'm guessing that English is not your primary language, because I don't understand what you are trying to say here? One alternative is to let Google translate from your native language.

• Hahhahahaha yea one would think
        I'll let this one just go away. Sorry if I have insulted you
        analog stuff.
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

• What were you trying to say? I'm not insulted, I just didn't understand your post. I'm not interested in anyone's opinion of PS Audio gear, but rather in the inherent limitations of MQA: the opposite of "future-proof".
          Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
          Pass Labs INT60
          Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
          REL S3
          Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
          Torus IS5

Comment

• Ok let me try again in English lol
            as of now we have no future proof concepts for any medium. Even analog has new ways of performing its magic be it tape or vinyl. I for one relish recordings coming from those mediums. Now how it gets to me or how I buy it is of concern to me. When mqa became the new hot rod of sound I did not bite nor did I care of who said yes or nay. My small brain tells me it's good for my brain.
            Tidal offers this to us for free for now. I own a Msb dac and spent the money on a new USB card to play it back in its best form completely unfolded.
            Regarding ps audio I owned many of there products for years about 4 or 5. When dsd began to happen. There forums were asking for it. Other dac makers said the same it's not needed and plenty of technical papers to prove it. Great music is pretty great in any medium but dsd has more of what l like when taken from tape or vinyl rips.
            Now after reading mqa seems to be a lossy format
            but they have taken the time to perform a reformat of the music for there use in machines they deam worthy right.
            If a maker wants to add it or not I get it. But what I resent is filling minds with there view for there cause that's all I have issues with. Back when there dac did not do dsd this is how they posted. this is my issue. Also and please no offense to any owners of there dac. It does not play dsd well period and I could go on a name a few others as well.
            A cheap 400 ifi micro plays dsd better. This is not what I call caring for your flock. It points to not committing to new formats that we end users pay money for.
            If you have any USB dac and tidal play moon dance by van Morrison in mqa Software mode and not in software mode or non mqa album form . And please post if it sounds better. I also own lampi dac one i cherish it it does not do mqa in full unfold my hope is it will
            one day.
            I hope this does read better. I proofed a few times.
            Garmmer sorry lol.
            analog stuff.
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Got it, thanks.
              Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
              Pass Labs INT60
              Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
              REL S3
              Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
              Torus IS5

Comment

• On ps audio there is a thread about is mqa good or not
                real and not. Fair comparison
                for me on tidal I'll take a mqa file all day but on my Msb good red book is still good red book.
                As I argued my points to mostly deaf ears I did do a test for myself.
                Tidal used
                non mqa file sounds better than mqa files if unfolding is turned off
                mqa files always sound better than non mqa files if unfolded even partial
                somehow there is less musicality in mqa if not software unfolded.
                This of course was ignored as they strictly were looking for direct comparisons of same files treated and untreated.
                For tidal I loved it for all of our music no rrady for a complete rewrite
                my hope is continued choices as we have now but this leads me to this. I for one love dsd purely while great pcm is still greet there is very few examples of it.
                The second commmet that I got no reply on was this.
                When an mqa file is played and unfolded even partial it's not pcm to me nor dsd
                it has more in common with dsd and less of pcm. This again was ignored.
                Funny how some sites just have one view only.
                This makes this place even better / why as
                mkst here love analog they still choose to try digital and commnet on it be it good or bad. They simply made there minds up as no good and some never even played it.
                Just math showed some it lacked goood Soutnd period. Very confusing to me at the least.
                analog stuff.
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Since, I am sure that none of us would agree on what the best of everything is, why would we agree on the best digital format?
                  A great deal of reviewing is both system dependent and in the ears of the reviewer.

Comment

Working...
                  X