Tidal sound quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use both Tidal and Qobuz.

Tidal is $19.99 per month for a HiFi account that is 16/44 minimum, and the ones marked M for master are MQA encoded 24 bit files ranging from 44.1 to 192 KHz. To get the full effect you want a real MQA compatible DAC. I use a relatively inexpensive iFi iDAC2 in my main system which is MQA compatible. I love it. I have a wired LAN connection from my router to the notebook, and have WiFi disabled.

Qobuz is $14.99 per month and streams uncompressed 16 or 24 bit files ranging from 44.1 to 192 KHz. You don't need MQA for it. It does use up more bandwidth and if your ISP ever throttles you for "too much" use per month it can be an issue. I stream from both a lot every day and AT&T has never slowed us down.

I keep both just becasue I always manage to find things on one that aren't available on the other. Since I have them set to run in Exclusive mode, I find that in my system, I have to close one to stream from the other. Doesn't bother me.

Sometimes I think the best from Qobus sounds better than the best from Tidal, but other times I think on average, Tidal sounds better. Then I think it boils down to just being some albums sound better on one than the other.

Reality for me is I love searching for new things to listen to, and old things I don't already have or maybe lost and haven't replaced. Having both gives me that.

Ultimately, I prefer the sound from my LP collection and will continue to buy records. I'll probably never buy a CD or music download again, unless it is from a new artist that I simply want to feel like I'm helping support.
    Last edited by Steve Lefkowicz; 06-11-2020, 07:46 PM.
    Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    -
    Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
    Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
    Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
    Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
    Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
    Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
    Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
    Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
    Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I use Tidal in my dedicated music room. Have not tried Qobuz. Appreciate the perspective you provide Steve.

Comment

Working...
      X