Roon and DSD256

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roon and DSD256

Downloaded both Roon and HQPlayer today on the new music laptop. I am liking Roon but tried to configure HQPlayer and just cannot figure out how. Now that I have DSD256 access I picked up a few titles at Native DSD.

Marty

I have a bunch of pawn shops stuff in dsd 128 , nice live club. I'll try a dsd 256 so far not a big deal for me though . I have not tied Roon either , HQ player was not good for and some claim unless you use it to up sample it's not the jame . It sounded flat to me. Again just a preference . J river us fine and better for me. Now the new next gen stuff is. Bug head . I have not tried that yet either . I will try the new pawnshop stuff and thanks for posting it.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
      I have a bunch of pawn shops stuff in dsd 128 , nice live club. I'll try a dsd 256 so far not a big deal for me though . I have not tied Roon either , HQ player was not good for and some claim unless you use it to up sample it's not the jame . It sounded flat to me. Again just a preference . J river us fine and better for me. Now the new next gen stuff is. Bug head . I have not tried that yet either . I will try the new pawnshop stuff and thanks for posting it.
      Al, What's "the jame?" Thanks, Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post

al, what's "the jame?" thanks, larry
        same.

Comment

Roon does a better job of finding all the meta data and album cover info of any software I have used to date. If it just had folder view or could create folders I would be a happy camper. Roon seems to extract more detail than playing the same through the Aurender N10.
          Marty

Comment

Since there was mention of DSD 512 has there every been any real music recorded at DSD 512 if not , so everything is just upsampled ?
            Chris
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Originally posted by cpp View Post
              Since there was mention of DSD 512 has there every been any real music recorded at DSD 512 if not , so everything is just upsampled ?
              There aren't any recording tools above DSD 256. So DSD 512 and DSD 1024 are likely to remain used only for upsampling.

Comment

• cpp
                cpp commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting, so if there is NO music recorded to support those rates, why even upsample it in a dac to that rate. Wouldn't it be an artificial reproduction of sounds that was never there in the first place.

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post

Al, What's "the jame?" Thanks, Larry
              I think Al meant not the same Larry.
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
              -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
              -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
              -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Damn I guess I am old and ghetto too. Sorry if it's really good it's the jam , wow I feel,old and odd too. If just one other understood lol.
                analog stuff.
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Anytime we up sample,or downsample or change format it's artifitial . But this is digital audio nothing really is real like analog . And even analog is a recording with its own limitations. Honestly we really need to learn better what we like and use that . This is why most who up sample do it in the forest place they like the way it sounds. I have said this before , if I upsamle PCM it's not dsd it's just something else but this is for me . No one really should say it's better or worse , it's objective . Fr me the only up sample I have used is my msb dac . But my lampi is better if I play it native weather it's PCM or dsd .
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

I am experimenting with Roon and HQPlayer up sampling to DSD512 into a T&A DAC8 DSD. Just got everything working yesterday evening before I had to do a road trip. First impressions were different from my Aurender N10.
                    Marty

Comment

Try going up to dsd 128 that seems to a sweet spot for most dacs . Also I would not upsampke dsd for me there is just a loss of the dsd sound . But I can see upsampking PCM but agin try dsd 128 not 256. Just some thoughts
                      analog stuff.
                      Dacs lampi various

Comment

I tried up sampling my DSD64 and 128 to DSD512. My laptop wouldn't do it and it struggles a little on the PCM to 512. A very different sound, I need more time to absorb and evaluate what I am hearing.
                        Marty

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                          MylesBAstor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I played with RBCD upsampled to 8X DSD. Big difference. But just ripping a CD to the hard drive can improve the sound too.

If your laptop is not doing dsd well do not use it to upsample it takes horsepower to do it on the fly . Also DS is not played well on sources that are not an I7 2.5 or better and laptops are not a good choice for p,aback of dsd either. Go into power saving settings turn off all battery saving modes . And when you plY use the battery only . There is free software to offline upsample PCM to dsd . Try this first it's better way to try it.
                        analog stuff.
                        Dacs lampi various

Comment

I need to streamline the Windows install. The laptop should be strong enough. See below

ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH71 17.3" IPS FHD (19201080), matte, Gaming Laptop, Metallic, Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz (Turbo up to 3.5GHz) Skylake, 16GB DDR4 (2133MHZ), 1TB 7200RPM , NVIDIA GTX960M 2GB GDDR5, DL DVDRW/CD-RW, 802.11AC, Bluetooth 4.0, Windows 10

Marty

Comment

Working...
                          X