• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roon

Thoughts on the sound quality of Roon?
    Dave Clark
    Editor and Publisher, Positive Feedback
    www.positive-feedback.com

I changed over from iRiver and decided to stay with Roon. It just sounds better to my ears.

Dirk

Comment

So is the comparison apples to apples or apples to oranges? Roon and iRiver are running from the same server or computer feeding the same DAC?
      Dave Clark
      Editor and Publisher, Positive Feedback
      www.positive-feedback.com

Comment

• dirmae
        dirmae commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, everything else is identical. Just be aware that Roon needs more computing power.

• Dave Clark
        Dave Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        Right, except Roon is running on the Antipodes Core unit.

For sound quality, the best music player is HQ Player.
      Unfortunately the HQ Player interface is pretty challenging.

I've found that using HQ Player with Roon as the interface is a pretty intriguing option.

Comment

• Dave Clark
        Dave Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        Not applicable here. I do not use a pc or a mac for serious listening (I do use my pc with jriver for desktop only). On the other hand I do use purpose built units for music such as Auralic. Aurender, and Antipodes. The Auralic uses their DS Lightening and the Aurender their Conductor for playback. Antipodes offers Roon Server. I am unable to compare apples to apples with any of these as they all use a different software to get the bits from here to there. Am wondering if anyone has been able to compare Roon to anything via an apple to apples approach?

I have used jriver , hq player , foobar , bughead
      never roon room is a resource hog as such I cannot imagine it being better than ones I have used due to CPU usage. But each do sound different
      molder versions of hq player were flat sounding and only when used to upsample did it sound ok. I am not a fan of upsample except for some exceptions. Pcm to dsd 512 does have some virtues. The auralac I forget what model does sound very good and can be a end all concept device. What I use every day is a custom Caps with AO and FID PRO. In digital everything sounds different a bit even my servers sound a bit different. Main boards and what audio grade parts I use. Sorry for the off topic post but I felt it had Merritt given the question.
      speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
      mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
      digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Dave Clark
        Dave Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        Right, except I am running Roon Sever on a purpose built streamer unit and so CPU usage is moot.

Give Pete D a call. He's a big Roon guy, and probably has good info on what you are looking for. I can't help as I have no experience with it yet, other than to know my server PC isn't a good match for it.
      Steve Lefkowicz
      Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
      --------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

CPU usage matters no matter what server/steamer is built the more you use the more the music may suffer. While I love j river more than the new hq player or foobar it's not for sound it's just essy to use. Sound galleries is an extremely powerful server so it can upsample or what ever while running roon. Lesser severs cannot. My own server can upsample dsd or pcm on the fly dsd 512 no studder and can do it non stop. Having said this roon may sound better and I don't know for sure as I have not heard it. AO that I use is roon ready as well as many others. In general for digital less is better sound. Some steamers use Linux for this reason. But still you are
        more qualified in knowing better sound and I don't mean that sarcastically I really mean it in respect.
        i hope to try roon soon as so many rave of its virtues

Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Dave Clark
          Dave Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          For sure. I am running any streamer here to the PS Audio Directstream DAC so it handles any and all upsampling.

I had major problems with HQP trying to upsample mch files to DSD256 from DSD64 and other rates. Stereo worked fine, but 5.1 was too much for my computer to handle. So I had a custom PC built just for that purpose (by Chris Connaker of Computer Audiophile who consulted with Jussi of HQP while determining the best specs). He installed Roon and it works great with HQP and my mch NADAC. Currently I have about 650 mch albums, most of them are DSD64 and the external upsampling to DSD256 through HQP makes life much easier for my NADAC. The computer is super powerful, not sure how it compares with the Sound Gallery - definitely not as pretty, but a fraction of the cost.

Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

John Darko compares Roon to JPlay here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...-the-sunshine/

Comment

An update to roon for anyone thinking about it.
            Roon is an amazing organizing engine it finds all of your music once you give the paths to where it it is. Be it naz drives or partions on any drive anywhere.
            Not has a very simple interface that seems natural to my small Brain. It gives many details of the music besides art
            it shows when and where
            if it’s new or old
            bit rates and depth and format.
            And if you have a tidal account it links this too.
            Now for sound it’s a bit better than j river
            it has digital filters and dsp settings to pick from
            this may seem complex but it’s not really and there are plenty of support forums to get you going.
            Not allows for upsampling your files as well in both pcm or dsd formats. All the rage to upsample for the digital groupies.
            It aloows you to choose many other players as well so imagine it’s your digital server redirecting what you want in the player you wish all from Phone or tablet or desktop.
            Now sound wise it’s a keeper and is getting better with updates.
            Now ultimate sound is achieved if you use HQ player as the player and roon as the source of the files. Has your head exploded yet lmao
            anyway digital is complex until you use it and learn to turn the knobes and hear what happens. Analog folk play with tracking , azmith , cart loading and a whole load of stuff right. Well digtal has its stuff too.
            I hope this helps some make a run at it.
            The tidal app is pretty cool but it’s aound is subpar once you hear how much better it can be.
            The man who made HQ player also made digital filters on submarines to determine what the personnel should hear but not always could. So I guess it’s no surprise his player is far better than the rest and has more knobs then any player I ever tried. But after just a fewer hours of this musical magic there is no going back.
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

I didn't like Roon at first. However after a few Roon and dCS Vivaldi updates it sounds pretty sweet. Like others, I love the UI. Now, I like the sound to...I've stopped using Minum Server and now prefer most hi res files to the redbook physical cd's...
              Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
              Amps: Nagra HD Pre Amp & HD Amps
              Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus Source and Opus Gen 5 Pre to amp and Speaker
              Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Isolators
              Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
              Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
              Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Comment

Now that you love roon and know how to use it the next step is HQ player it’s free 30 days and it plays 30 mins at a time.
                Start up hq player
                settings and select your dac
                leave settings alone at first
                in roon select the hq as a zone it will be add a network player.
                Then under Audio select hq as the zone to play
                play dsd first then pcm

post what you hear it should be another lwvel
                up and it gets better when you pick your own filters.
                Also down load the manual.
                Enjoy
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Bodhi
                  Bodhi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HQ Player made my head explode. It is the antithesis of user-friendly. Great for techno-geeks, not so good for the rest of us. I ran. I think Roon might be my white knight..

• Dave Clark
                  Dave Clark commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Way too much work... sort of defeats the purpose of ease of use in 2017.

Your correct hq player is for geeks only.
                Havin said that. If you have roon its much simpler as roon sends the music to hq player. The man who made hq player is a man who knows sound better than most on the planet he made software for subs to know what objects they are. Sound is his business. Making software user friendly is non lol. In fact in person he is not caring of its had UI. but to hear it even just for a short while will have you hooked.
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Roon is a bit better than j river or foobar and foobar is not a happy player either lol.
                  Roon also has some filters and dsp to pick from this makes it much better than j river as j river yields little to no choices in this
                  my point is we each hear different what we like is individual not mass. J river is mass and nice and until just a few months back my choice period. Then roon was given to me try and I was lucky to have a small group on a what’s up app in real time. They got me off the ground and flying
                  hq is a even higher clarity of sound a must once you get roon going. Hq player alone while sounding great is just too difficult to use.
                  Here is just one example of its crazy if you play tracks in j river windows associates the files to be played by j river
                  this is commnen but hq player will not even see the files to play lol. You must go into attributes to change this.
                  Anyway get to roon it’s ober all better than j river and allows to play tidal directly in it.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

I've used Roon since it's beginning. For SQ it's had a steady improvement. I have used Audirvana, Pure Music and JRiver. Roon at least equals them all with respect to SQ and beats them by miles in useability.

As for HQPlayer, well even as somewhat of a tech geek I just don't see using it long term. It made a slight difference in my system and I admit to not be willing to put in the time necessary to fine tune it in my system.

Beau

Tannoy Glenair, April Sound SET 50 monoblocks and LR phono, EMIA silver remote attenuator and Strain Gauge, Mono TT - AE 208 TT, Abis 1.2BCS arm Miyajima Premium BE, Stereo TT - Fairchild 750 Schroder Custom BA, Miyajima Kansui, Mac Mini w/ Roon, Bel Canto RefLink, Dac 3.5VB, Wadia 860x.

Comment

Working...
                    X