MQA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
    What do you know. I got an invite to go to a demo of MQA and Roon at a local audio shop in Seattle on the 12th of this month. If anyone else wants to go I will forward the link. At the place the demo is at they sell a lot of Linn streamers. Not sure what the demo gear will be.
    "It rains 9 months of the year in Seattle!"

Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

• Kingrex
      Kingrex commented
      Editing a comment
      Global Climate Change. It only rains 8 months out of the year now. Keep the oil flowing.

• Bodhi
      Bodhi commented
      Editing a comment
      I love that film 'Sleepless in Seattle' . Wish I could hit the pause button on 1993.

Wow how cool
    is that. Do you have or want some tracks to ask for. ??
    Either way that is cool. What dac will they be using ?
    I can tell you what dsp and filters to try if you wish.
    If not truly enjoy.

Comment

They seem to carry Auralic. Naim, Linn, Sonos, Roon and DCS. We will have to see what equipment runs what. Give me a couple tracks to really tax the system. Also, what are some questions to ask.
      Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

Ok will do. Also dcs is getting mqa I heard so maybe it is already released and that will be cool.

Comment

One of my favs in movies is MOMENTO year is 2000.
          Not the Spanish one. It’s about a man who has no short term memory after Getting hit in the head. Reminds me of me as I have memory issues too among other major malfunctions of thought processes. Not so bad it’s All New most times.

Comment

Both albums seem to be complelty unfoldsd by bit rates
            it’s not an mqa dac but is playing tidal through roon.

Comment

Very interesting show. I saw a few DCS systems. The one playing MQA was not in the same room as the one that only played high res, so no direct comparisons. The explanation of how MQA works was pretty fascinating. Maybe this was discussed earlier, but basically, MQA went to recording studios and said let us preserve your archive of analog tapes and digital. They have 4 of the major labels that agreed so far.

What the MQA software is able to do is look at the whole chain of equipment that comes from the mic, through the cables, through the mixing board, to a tape or into a A/D converter, then apply an algorithm that filters out the injected sound of the equipment that was in the audio chain. Interestingly, every recording studio has said to not filter out the Mic. I asked if the studios had all the info on the equipment used in the recording sessions. He said its amazing how in depth records are on all that was used. In short, yes, down to the cables.

He also talked about timing. He said everyone is always talking resolution. He said timing is the key element. When we hear something, our brain has to convert that signal going through our ears to something like a digital signal in our brains. Your brain is an electrical/chemical organ with synapses and dendrites sending and receiving electrical impulses over a chemical barrier between the two. That signal flows at something like 7/100 of a second. Something like that. Anyways, MQA is designed to process it signals at the same speed as the operation of our brains, in essence tricking it into believing it is actually hearing the original sound. It is suppose to free the brain from having to process timing issues and focus more on what it is actually hearing, making a more clear performance in your mind.

I don't know much about sample rate and bit depth so I am pretty fuzzy on how to explain this, but during MQA playback, it always unfolds to the original source signal. If it was 16/44.1 that is what it plays. If its 16/196 it plays that. If you don't have an MQA DAC, it will make one unfold. I am not sure about this statement but I think he was saying, if the source was 16/196 on Tidal, a non MQ DAC can unfold it to 16/84. Don't quote me on that. Maybe it will unfold to the original 16/196. What the MQA licensed DAC will allow is the final unfold which is applying the software that did all the filter encoding to eliminate the injected noise from all the gear between the Mic and the recording.

I will say, I have never heard such beautiful playback of old Frank Sinatra recordings. The rendition of Beyonce was also very impressive. Maybe the Metallica was played to loud, but it was a little harsh for me. The Fleet-wood Mac was one of the most pure playbacks I have heard.

I't looks like MQA is really doing its work with licensing and is going to have a big impact on the future. They are the new Microsoft/Apple looking to in-bed in everything from your phone to your car. They are already in Samsung phones allowing high resolution streaming through their devices. They want to make good sound available to all. They have the streaming services ear because they offer small files that take much less server space that unfold to the highest resolution files. We are going to see a lot more of them.

I'm going to finish here and go onto another post about Roon. If I misspoke, go gentle on me.
              Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

Sorry I did not give you any questions or files. Been too busy.
                Future if our music is my one and only issue
                I don’t want ever to be forced into them owning our music.
                Making a new remaster of old aNd making it better is fine. But I do want acess to the old music for anyone like chad to be able to remaster his own.
                Reg unfolding again not there is as follows.
                Non mqa dacs not using the desktop app. Get mqa with one unfold at same res and bit rate all others.
                Same is true if you uncheck boxes and Check pass through in settings.
                If your desktop app is used for mqa you get the second unfold at varous bit rates 24/48 or 24/96’and even 24/192’
                lastly in full
                mqa unfold the bit rates still vary from all three as above.
                Now about special sauce that they call timing. It may be true. But to my ears it’s the complete remaster process
                less EQ and Comp. RE mixing as well same as SHM and analog masters. It’s for us Audio nuts. That makes it better.
                Anyway glad you enjoyed the show

Comment

• Kingrex
                  Kingrex commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear what your saying about original masters, but tape in a vault only lasts so long. Are you asking all the record labels to invest "how much " into making a new tape of the original every 30|40|50 years. How much is tape and how long would that take? They may do that for The Beatles, Stones etc, but every historical piece that does not sell today will rot away and be lost forever. One of MQA's demands is they releast every track they have for a transfer to digital by MQA. At least someone is working to get this done with a high quality process. I don't believe MQA has any rights to the music. I believe their angle is to embed there software through licensing into every device to give the option to play it back at (best quality) levels. It still works on non MQA devices. Yes, they could in 20 years start dialing back the quality level to non MQA devices to force you into purchasing something that has the technology.

Have you guys seen this? It seems like a well structured article & doesn't pull any punches - https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music
                Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

I hear everything in the link and agree. I could also write a rebuttal to it all. Its all conjecture. I am not going to do that, but I will throw one tidbit in. You may not be able to steam what you want due to file size transfer pretty soon. Or, you may have to pay huge sums of money for a network connection that will allow it. Net neutrality is going away. File compression may become a necessity. Who's software will be utilized to compress. MP3? ??????

Comment

There are some other, more recent comments

​​​​​​http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6046

and from DaveC's post at WBF

​​​​​​
                    I got to ask Keith Johnson of Reference Recordings about MQA in person yesterday during the Avalon demo near RMAF.

I wish I knew more about digital music so I could ask intelligent and relevant questions, but I don't. In any case what I got out of it is that MQA is an apodizing filter that corrects for brickwall filtering used in the mastering process. At higher bitrates the brickwall filter isn't used, and other gentler filters with less side effects are used instead. So MQA won't be an improvement in this case while it may indeed improve other digital recordings that used brickwall filters.

Keith is not planning on installing MQA hardware in Spectral DACs right now, although he seemed excited about the possibility of MQA being able to contain different masterings that are intended for speakers, headphones or multi-channel listening.

edit:

Keith also mentioned the effect of the MQA filters is to shift the soundstage forward which some like but is just an artifact and not accurate.

Also, here's some info on Meridian's apodizing filter:

https://mrapodizer.wordpress.com/201...dizing-filter/
                    Last edited by DaveC; 10-09-2017 at 05:08 PM.
                    Industry Affiliation:
                    I own ZenWave Audio
                    zenwaveaudio.com
                    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
                    Furutech Dealer

Comment

Working...
                    X