Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louis Armstrong Live in DSD 256 from 2xHD & NativeDSD

This should be a good one.
    Released earlier today by NativeDSD Music - an Analog to DSD256 transfer from Rene LaFlamme at 2xHD/Nagra.

Mack The Knife - Louis Armstrong

"Here's the one you've been waiting for. Mack The Knife - a new album by the legendary Louis Armstrong from 2xhd. This is a live recording in Chicago from 1962. It has been transferred from the Original Analog Master Tape at Storyville Records to DSD256 Stereo.

We have it for you today in Stereo DSD256 at the Native DSD Music store. It's a DSD Exclusive release, not available on SACD. As always, purchases of the DSD256 edition of this album entitle you to download the lower DSD bit rate versions of the album (DSD128 & DSD64) at no added charge.

Mack The Knife features 12 of Armstrong's most famous songs including Mack The Knife, High Society Calypso, Blueberry Hill, Give Me A Kiss To Build A Dream On, When The Saints Come Marching In, C’est si bon, La vie en rose and When It's Sleepy Time Down South to name just a few.

Andre Perry at 2xhd tells us "2xhd is proud to be associated with this recording and the opportunity to remaster it in high-resolution DSD 256. It is a recording which has many of Louis Armstrong’s hits which he introduced in the ‘50s. Louis was a natural entertainer, by a gift and by inclination. He was a man who liked to please the folks and he saw no compromise in pleasing them with his highly individualistic singing, or his simple clowning, as well as with his incomparable trumpet playing. This album is truly representative of the man, as it presents all facets of his talent."
    https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2X...mack-the-knife
    Last edited by bmoura; 09-08-2017, 09:58 AM.

Buying it tonight
    and thanks for sharing the link. I normally would not buy an older live album as for me they tend to be not as good as newer live recordings. But since you are recommending this I will.
    My lampi is now fitted with eml mesh 2 A3. And a tak recti
    what a detailed tube set.

Comment

Brian besides this album. What can you Recomend as the best quality sound of analog tape to dsd 128 or higher. ?
      Not classical anything after that.

Comment

I personally don't own a high end HDD, NAS or server. I just think something is missing with downloads. You can't touch the media, see the artwork on the cover, read the liner notes etc. No question about the sound potential of DSD, but I just find downloads soulless.
        Last edited by Bodhi; 09-08-2017, 01:21 AM.
        Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
          Buying it tonight
          and thanks for sharing the link. I normally would not buy an older live album as for me they tend to be not as good as newer live recordings. But since you are recommending this I will.

My Lampi is now fitted with eml mesh 2 A3. And a tak recti
          what a detailed tube set.
          I downloaded Mack The Knife in Stereo DSD 256 last night. NativeDSD Music throws in the DSD 128 and DSD 64 versions for Free when you buy the DSD 256. So I have those but haven't compared them yet.

The album has live versions of many of Armstrong's classic hits. Definitely a winner!
          And the album is not available on SACD, so the DSD Download is the only way to go to get it on DSD.

Comment

Brian besides this album. What can you Recommend as the best quality sound of analog tape to dsd 128 or higher. ?
            Not classical anything after that.
            Let's see. DSD128 and DSD256 non-classical.
            I'd suggest:

Raizes - Breno Viricimo & Friends (Native DSD256 Stereo & Multichannel recording, no post-processing)
            https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/JL003-raizes

Bill Evans Trio - Some Other Time: The Lost Sessions in the Black Forest (Analog to DSD256 Stereo)
            https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2X...e-black-forest

Jazz at the Pawnshop (Analog to DSD256 Stereo)
            https://naxos.nativedsd.com/albums/jazz-at-the-pawnshop

Sophisticated Lady Jazz Quartet - Volume 1 (Analog to DSD256 Stereo)
            https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com...ted-lady-vol-i

Bill Evans Trio - Another Time: The Hilversum Concert (Analog to DSD256 Stereo)
            https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2X...versum-concert

Vanish - Smoke & Mirrors Percussion Ensemble (Analog to DSD256 Stereo)
            https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com...mirrors-vanish

Piltch & Davis - Take One (Analog to DSD128 Stereo)
            https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/take-one

Choro Club - Music Bonita (Native DSD128 Stereo)
            https://sdmliverec.nativedsd.com/alb...-musica-bonita

Ethnic Minority at SDM Live 2015 (Native DSD128 Stereo)
            https://saiderarecords.nativedsd.com...-sdm-live-2015

Comment

Originally posted by bmoura View Post
              This should be a good one.
              Released earlier today by NativeDSD Music - an Analog to DSD256 transfer from Rene LaFlamme at 2xHD/Nagra.

Mack The Knife - Louis Armstrong

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2X...mack-the-knife
              My dad knew him as a kid I remember going to his house in queens
              later my kids went to school named after him near his house
              thanks for heads up on his recording being released.
              The album I did not have nor could I find it on tidal.

Comment

I plan on buying a restored Victor or Monarch wind-up gramophone in the future & pick up lots of old 78's like Louis, Ella, Basie & Bennett. 78's are easier to store & I have a place on my buffet cabinet I could put the gramophone. You might say why not buy a high end tt? Unfortunately I don't have the rack space or storage for a full size analogue rig, but It would be fun hearing those scratchy old 78's playing through a big horn. Not exactly DSD256, but way more character!.
                Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

Thanks BRIAN. I may have some of that list but will look into them. The album at dsd 256 is very nice especially if you consider its live and not a studio.
                  Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhi View Post
                    I plan on buying a restored Victor or Monarch wind-up gramophone in the future & pick up lots of old 78's like Louis, Ella, Basie & Bennett. 78's are easier to store & I have a place on my buffet cabinet I could put the gramophone. You might say why not buy a high end tt? Unfortunately I don't have the rack space or storage for a full size analogue rig, but It would be fun hearing those scratchy old 78's playing through a big horn. Not exactly DSD256, but way more character!.
                    Your a funny person all those scratches would make you mad.
                    there is a soul in analog that does not exist in pure Digital dsd anyway but does in pcm.
                    Having said that when a tape transfer is done right like shm or analog productions and Brian's suggestions the soul is still there. The real issue is the digtal playback used is needed to be made up to fit the system you play it on. Cheap digital playing world class quality recording is cheap digital and if played On a great analog system it screams it.

This an analog person needs to understand. This is a great place that primarily is analog as such the soul
                    of loving music exists here. And I love that.

Comment

• Bodhi
                      Bodhi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Al, I agree with your view about good pcm...esp exceptional transfers like some Platinum SHM recordings. And I agree it's kind of pointless playing good recordings via a cheap cdp or dac. My Vitus cdp ticks all the boxes & makes even garden variety rbcd's sound very good.

I agree a high end vinyl rig will make a poor transfer or remaster sound awful. As for the flawed, scratchy old 78's, I say bring 'em on! I think after being an audiophile for 30 years my tastes have broadened. That said, by all reports some of the old fully restored gramophones with wooden horns & upgraded diamond stylus don't actually sound too bad. And with plenty of tlc, those old 78's should be quite passable by audiophile standards. But ah heck, you don't want all your audio to be like a mountain stream...then life would be boring! .

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree with Al and it leaves me perplexed. Tape to DSD sounds better to me than a recording done in DSD. Makes no sense.

That said, I've heard some Grammaphones--though limited and noisy--that had some magic in the midrange. Years ago heard this early '20s recording of the Paul Whiteman Orchestra doing Gershwin that was amazing. No, not based on audiophile characteristics; but damn the music moved me.

Thanks BRIAN. I may have some of that list but will look into them. The album at dsd 256 is very nice especially if you consider its live and not a studio.
                    Thanks
                    Raizes is a good one. A Native DSD256 recording of gentle Brazilian, Latin and Bossa Nova music.
                    Has some mellow playing, singing and a lot of interesting percussion.

A favorite here in Stereo and Multichannel DSD256.
                    Recommended.

Raizes - Breno Virticimo & Friends

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/JL003-raizes

Comment

Brian are you digging Rene's new 2XHD releases?

I wish he would also do them in analog!
                      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I also bought the audio setup download as well. In 256. I must say very nice to use for speaker setup and also some nice music. Very clean and good as dsd direct.
                        Tape to dsd is a odd thing but also pcm to dsd and vinyl rips as well. Analog productions proved the pcm concept
                        billi holiday body and sole. I swore it was tape to dsd but according to Chad it's sourced from hi Rez pcm. A great recording.
                        I do some upsample of red book to dsd 256 or 512 it does add magic.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                          Brian are you digging Rene's new 2XHD releases?

I wish he would also do them in analog!
                          Absolutely. The Bill Evans album "Some Other Time: The Lost Sessions" is a classic in DSD256.
                          Handy to download them from NativeDSD Music where a DSD256 purchase also includes the DSD128 and DSD64 versions for Free for comparison.
                          https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2X...e-black-forest

Comment

Working...
                          X