No announcement yet.

What's Everyone Using as a Digital Source Nowadays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to have the CH Precision C1 ( with Ethernet streaming) and X1. Sold them and went around looking for something else just for a change. Listened to Vivaldi, Gryphon, Vitus, Trinity, Esoteric, MSB and a few others and finally ended up buying the CH C1 again.

Comment

Originally posted by geshi View Post
      I used to have the CH Precision C1 ( with Ethernet streaming) and X1. Sold them and went around looking for something else just for a change. Listened to Vivaldi, Gryphon, Vitus, Trinity, Esoteric, MSB and a few others and finally ended up buying the CH C1 again.

Welcome friend!!!

Boy you did your due diligence. I'd love to hear the details! Some real good and highly regarded pieces in your list!
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Thanks Myles.
        The reason I bought the C1 again doesn't mean it's the best sounding of them all. It's certainly one of the best there is...in terms of sound quality and value. The other one I really like is the Trinity dac but it's just too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by bpw View Post
          Ouch. It can't be that bad
          That's typical digital for you, Brian!

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
            I'm still using a laptop as a music server running JRiver 20 into my Mytek Stereo 192 DAC.
            Question for you and anyone else using a laptop. Have you tried anything for USB power? I have both the iUSB and iUSB3 from iFi, as well as the Schiit Wyrd. With four different notebooks and about ten different DACs they all made a noticeable improvement. Seems to be far more related to the PC in use than the DAC.
            Steve Lefkowicz
            Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
            -
            Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
            Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
            Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
            Speakers: Tekton Perfect SET 15, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
            Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
            Speaker cables: WyWyres Diamond, Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
            Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
            Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
            Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

Dell Laptop>Roon>AQ Jitterbug>Wywires Silver USB>Uptone Audio Regen>IFI Micro DSD.

I find the combination of the Jitterbug and Regen sounds better than the IFI USB or the Schitt Wyrd.

Love Roon. I think it sounds better than the JRiver 21.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnewell View Post
                Dell Laptop>Roon>AQ Jitterbug>Wywires Silver USB>Uptone Audio Regen>IFI Micro DSD.

I find the combination of the Jitterbug and Regen sounds better than the IFI USB or the Schitt Wyrd.

Love Roon. I think it sounds better than the JRiver 21.

Welcome aboard. I've tried the iFi DSD with the USB and power supply. What improvements do you hear with the Jitterbug or Regen over the USB?

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I use my PC for digital files in my bedroom system ( EAC for CD ripping, Goldwave for hi rez ripping of LPs and tapes ). For casual playback of Cds, I use a vintage onkyo integra DX-6800 cd player as a transport coupled via toslink to a DIY DAC using 2008 vintage state of the art receiver and DAC I.C.s. I don't use digital for serious listening, just mostly backgroung music while I am web surfing. In my main system I also have a sony SACD player and a JVC DVD-Audio player, but I rarely use them.
                  JCOConnell
                  Premier Club Member
                  Last edited by JCOConnell; 02-10-2016, 01:37 AM. Reason: added last sentence
                  Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

my current digital is the Lampizator Golden Gate, single ended dsd 'only' version which does up to Quad dsd. I'm using it for both dsd and pcm. the pcm is up sampled to Quad dsd through JRiver.

I'm feeding it through a Totaldac USB cable.

my server is a CAPS v4 Pipeline custom build with the Lampizator mods; which includes a Teradak LPS for the CPU and an Uptone LPS for the USB card. it runs on Windows 2012 R2 Standard Version in 'core mode' and uses Audiophile Optimizer. I use JRiver (latest version) and JRemote on a mini I-pad.

I use dual NAS storage devices for my 8 terabytes of dsd, and 7 terabytes of pcm. each of the NAS boxes has 24 terabytes of capacity; one is upstairs from my listening room in the barn and it's primary, and then I have the backup 24 terabyte NAS in the house.
                    https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
                      my current digital is the Lampizator Golden Gate, single ended dsd 'only' version which does up to Quad dsd. I'm using it for both dsd and pcm. the pcm is up sampled to Quad dsd through JRiver.

I'm feeding it through a Totaldac USB cable.

my server is a CAPS v4 Pipeline custom build with the Lampizator mods; which includes a Teradak LPS for the CPU and an Uptone LPS for the USB card. it runs on Windows 2012 R2 Standard Version in 'core mode' and uses Audiophile Optimizer. I use JRiver (latest version) and JRemote on a mini I-pad.

I use dual NAS storage devices for my 8 terabytes of dsd, and 7 terabytes of pcm. each of the NAS boxes has 24 terabytes of capacity; one is upstairs from my listening room in the barn and it's primary, and then I have the backup 24 terabyte NAS in the house.

Geez that makes analog seem like a walk in the park!

No more Trinity?

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Geez that makes analog seem like a walk in the park!

No more Trinity?
                        nope. sold it in December. it had nothing to do with performance, only having that much money tied up in a dac, pcm-only no less, was just not a good long term strategy.

the Trinity opened my eyes to the reality that pcm can be perfectly fine without any warts at all; but that it takes heroic (big dollars) effort to get there at this time. (my pro-dsd slanted anti pcm view is now gone)

but with all the efforts now in play on various up sampling and such hopefully Trinity level, or MSB Select dac level, solved pcm will be less spendy soon.

so I'm slumming it with the dsd only GG and loving every minute. very enjoyable digital in all formats.
                        https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

On the transport side...using an Esoteric P-0s. Also, playing files from an external drive through JRMC. A Grace Design m905 does DAC duty.
                          Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by c1ferrari View Post
                            On the transport side...using an Esoteric P-0s. Also, playing files from an external drive through JRMC. A Grace Design m905 does DAC duty.

So can you do high rez Sam?

Comment

Using JRiver and the Grace, yes. The m905 supports sample rates to 192 kHz PCM and DSD128 (DoP).
                              Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Using Small Green Computer Audiophile VortexBox, upgraded linear power supply, Nordost Heimdall USB cable, Uptone Regen, PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Control is Logitech Media Server with iPeng.

This system is stable and has been that way for the past year or so. Only issue is the VB is fussy about seeing the DAC or it shuts down its output. This is only an issue during the occasional power outage when things get out of sync.

I am very happy with SQ and the overall convenience. Andrew at SGC has been a great resource and provided excellent service. Really like iPeng and the convenience of its use. The GUI is nice.

I compared this system to a previous generation Aurender and felt no need to upgrade. Plan to do another comparison with the newer generation Aurender. For now, no burning desire to change anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X