What's Everyone Using as a Digital Source Nowadays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great topic.
    After reading this thread it seems I have spent more time and money in the pursuit of better sound from what I have .
    My first attemp at better audio was a PWT transport with the then flagship pwdmkii. I never did like the sound of the combo nor did I like the PWT sound into any other dac I had.
    This led me to two USB converters , one was the AP1seand PP. this wa the first glimpse into better digital sound.
    Next was the offramp 5 with all its options and his own psu. This allowed me to use many outputs including ps audios hdmi i2s. It allowed me to start to enjoy the dac .
    Next a few other dacs , Mytek , audio gd M7 , all improved with the AP or offramp. Next a total change came from a lampi it had the first sound that seemed overall pleasing and it too benefited from the USB converters .
    Next was my msb platinum plus stack with all options and there then new umt plus with its own signature series psu . Now things got much better there transport had sounds I never heard before , details and staging was vivid . But I did notice that when using my then gaming PC used for manic now did not sound nearly as well as the sacd ,s did on my umt plus . This led me to the manic server attemp.
    As all servers sound a bit diffent but do greatly improve the sound of any dac used . Including my msb 4 plus.
    I now have a few servers my top dog is a fanless , Paul pangs MSI modded main board , his ram , his ver 3 USB card. It uses three separate DC regulated psu,s . Running win ser 2012 and AO1.40 . This stupid is on par with my umt plus stack at a fraction of its cost . For anyone reading this yes servers matter plenty weather it's home brew or made for purpose from companies.
    I can add one last 150 improvment . Buy a REGEN it does improve almost any dac I have tried about ten devices , it seems there is always improvements t be had in digital audio . Of course the servers are complex to setup although not hard once one understand the setup . There is plenty of help for anyone on forums . Try a REGEN this alone is a must have for digital audio
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by drdk View Post
      Using Small Green Computer Audiophile VortexBox, upgraded linear power supply, Nordost Heimdall USB cable, Uptone Regen, PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Control is Logitech Media Server with iPeng.

This system is stable and has been that way for the past year or so. Only issue is the VB is fussy about seeing the DAC or it shuts down its output. This is only an issue during the occasional power outage when things get out of sync.

I am very happy with SQ and the overall convenience. Andrew at SGC has been a great resource and provided excellent service. Really like iPeng and the convenience of its use. The GUI is nice.

I compared this system to a previous generation Aurender and felt no need to upgrade. Plan to do another comparison with the newer generation Aurender. For now, no burning desire to change anything.
      For the digital uninitiated among us, could you tell us more about the Small Green Computer Audiophile VortexBox?
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
        Great topic.
        After reading this thread it seems I have spent more time and money in the pursuit of better sound from what I have .
        My first attemp at better audio was a PWT transport with the then flagship pwdmkii. I never did like the sound of the combo nor did I like the PWT sound into any other dac I had.
        This led me to two USB converters , one was the AP1seand PP. this wa the first glimpse into better digital sound.
        Next was the offramp 5 with all its options and his own psu. This allowed me to use many outputs including ps audios hdmi i2s. It allowed me to start to enjoy the dac .
        Next a few other dacs , Mytek , audio gd M7 , all improved with the AP or offramp. Next a total change came from a lampi it had the first sound that seemed overall pleasing and it too benefited from the USB converters .
        Next was my msb platinum plus stack with all options and there then new umt plus with its own signature series psu . Now things got much better there transport had sounds I never heard before , details and staging was vivid . But I did notice that when using my then gaming PC used for manic now did not sound nearly as well as the sacd ,s did on my umt plus . This led me to the manic server attemp.
        As all servers sound a bit diffent but do greatly improve the sound of any dac used . Including my msb 4 plus.
        I now have a few servers my top dog is a fanless , Paul pangs MSI modded main board , his ram , his ver 3 USB card. It uses three separate DC regulated psu,s . Running win ser 2012 and AO1.40 . This stupid is on par with my umt plus stack at a fraction of its cost . For anyone reading this yes servers matter plenty weather it's home brew or made for purpose from companies.
        I can add one last 150 improvment . Buy a REGEN it does improve almost any dac I have tried about ten devices , it seems there is always improvements t be had in digital audio . Of course the servers are complex to setup although not hard once one understand the setup . There is plenty of help for anyone on forums . Try a REGEN this alone is a must have for digital audio

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Below is the list of features of VB that I cut and pasted from website. The VB is a Linux computer with an optimized software package that is under constant revision and improvement. Any PC can be converted to a VB by downloading the software. The audiophile version from SGC has SoTM USB board and some software tweaks in a small form factor case. It is quiet and draws negligible current. There are several commercial servers based on VB on the market. It can rip and catalog in addition to serving. This is an inadequate description but anyone interested can do a Google search. There are multiple websites with extensive information and support

the perfect way to store and stream digital music, video and Internet radio.
          VortexBox features*:
          - Playback downloaded music in highest quality, including HiRes audio (24bit/192K, or higher)
          - Play 1,000's of Internet radio stations from UK and overseas including BBC and BBC iPlayer radio
          - Streaming services such as Spotify, Deezer, Tidal etc
          - General purpose network file server (NAS) for pictures, documents etc
          - Playback locally or around house to network players, Sonos, Squeezebox etc
          - Control with Apple, Android phone/tablet or from MAC/PC
          - Transfer your CD/DVD/BluRay into digital format (Rip to hard drive) **
          - Simple Operation

Software Version features: (Some hardware dependent)
          - Bit-perfect, Multi-function Music/Media Server/Streamer
          - Automatic CD Ripping, Automatic Indexing and Album cover-art download
          - Stream Music/Video/Radio to Multiple Devices*
          - Stream UPnP/DLNA to NAIM, Linn, Cyrus, Marrantz, Linn, Pioneer, Denon etc
          - Use external USB DACs up-to 384Khz/24 bit Gapless ( and

Comment

Until recently (3 years):
            Mac mini + jRiver -> chord Hugo -> electrocompaniet ECI 3 -> audio physic sitara
            February:
            SitechAudio MS&P -> chord Hugo -> electrocompaniet ECI 3 -> audio physic sitara
            I can share impressions all component ...

Comment

Originally posted by poalex View Post
              Until recently (3 years):
              Mac mini + jRiver -> chord Hugo -> electrocompaniet ECI 3 -> audio physic sitara
              February:
              SitechAudio MS&P -> chord Hugo -> electrocompaniet ECI 3 -> audio physic sitara
              I can share impressions all component ...
              I'm sure everyone would like to hear more!

Comment

Ayre C-5xeMP universal disc player - it's a fine unit that has brought a lot of enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                  Anybody played with the Lumin?
                  I've had a Lumin D1 + Sbooster PSU in my upstairs setup for the past few weeks. Wanted to install it upstairs during its break in so I could listen when I work from home. Now I have a dilema.....I don't think I can remove the Lumin and put back the Squeezebox that was originally there. Thinking I may need to get another Lumin for the downstairs setup if I want to replace that Squeezebox too.

Since I'm not buying HiRez downloads, nor really want to, I find myself surfing the Tidal catalog mostly and it sounds great.

I wrote this about the Lumin over on Mike's site last week:

All the various sample rates of music that I've been listening to sound great on the Lumin. When you guys have described digital that can be analog in sound quality, I now know what was being described.....especially with the DSD files. There's great sound stage definition; air around instruments and voices; and hall/venue ambiance queues that I've not witnessed with lesser digital playback like the Squeezebox.

This Lumin blows the Squeezebox completely away. I mean, the Squeezebox is also convenient but it never really draws you in to sit and listen. It's purely a background music provider. The Lumin on the other hand is providing music that you want to pay attention to.
                  MikeCh
                  Premier Club Member
                  Last edited by MikeCh; 03-17-2016, 09:16 PM.
                  Mike
                  avantiaudio.com

arc ls27 -or- sp-11 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner ps/tach | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 sut | canton vento ref 9dc -or- ergo passiv | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 streamer & sbooster psu | avanti audio allegro cables

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
                    Ayre C-5xeMP universal disc player - it's a fine unit that has brought a lot of enjoyment.

I've been interested in this player lately. Can it perform as a DAC as well or just a spinner? These don't show up on Agon very often.
                    Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Originally posted by MikeCh View Post

I've had a Lumin D1 + Sbooster PSU in my upstairs setup for the past few weeks. Wanted to install it upstairs during its break in so I could listen when I work from home. Now I have a dilema.....I don't think I can remove the Lumin and put back the Squeezebox that was originally there. Thinking I may need to get another Lumin for the downstairs setup if I want to replace that Squeezebox too.

Since I'm not buying HiRez downloads, nor really want to, I find myself surfing the Tidal catalog mostly and it sounds great.

I wrote this about the Lumin over on Mike's site last week:

All the various sample rates of music that I've been listening to sound great on the Lumin. When you guys have described digital that can be analog in sound quality, I now know what was being described.....especially with the DSD files. There's great sound stage definition; air around instruments and voices; and hall/venue ambiance queues that I've not witnessed with lesser digital playback like the Squeezebox.

This Lumin blows the Squeezebox completely away. I mean, the Squeezebox is also convenient but it never really draws you in to sit and listen. It's purely a background music provider. The Lumin on the other hand is providing music that you want to pay attention to.

Mike, congrats on the Lumin! Hope you don't stop spinning your amazing classical collection!
                      Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Originally posted by allenh View Post

Mike, congrats on the Lumin! Hope you don't stop spinning your amazing classical collection!
                        Thanks Allen. No sir, the LP's will get their fair share of time as well. I have many that I've not heard yet!
                        MikeCh
                        Premier Club Member
                        Last edited by MikeCh; 03-17-2016, 09:36 PM.
                        Mike
                        avantiaudio.com

arc ls27 -or- sp-11 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner ps/tach | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 sut | canton vento ref 9dc -or- ergo passiv | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 streamer & sbooster psu | avanti audio allegro cables

Comment

Originally posted by allenh View Post

I've been interested in this player lately. Can it perform as a DAC as well or just a spinner? These don't show up on Agon very often.
                          Re: C5xe-MP... It is disc only. supports many formats except BD. Analogue-like sonics. Ayre tries to suppress Internet sales, dealers squawk, so you don't see them on offer. Worth looking for, imo. It remains a viable contender.

Comment

• allenh
                            allenh
                            Premier Club Member
                            allenh commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks, Tim. Saw a non-MP on sale go on Agon but I think it's worth the wait for MP. Ayre makes great gear IMO.

Guest commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ayre was doing upgrades to MP version. Not sure if they are still. Definitely worthwhile.

pc usb connected to a 32 bit 192k dac.i also have a ps3 connected to it as well.i mainly use the ps3 for movie watching.
                          digitalphile here yay

Comment

My digital gear has remained fairly constant since the addition of Roon last May.

Sources; Wadia 860x for discs, Mac Mini w/Roon & Promise Thunderbolt array for files. The Mac feed a Bel Canto RefLink converter. The RefLink feeds the Bel Canto Dac 3.5 via fiber. The dac is powered by battery. The Wadia also uses the 3.5 most of the time.

Probably won't change much about it as I need the Mac in the home system as a video server for movies etc. May do the 3.7 upgrade to the DAC soon.
                            Turntable: - 1. Fairchild 750/OMA slate plinth
                            2. Analog Engineering AE-2008 MinusK support.
                            Tonearm: 1. Schroder Custom
                            2. Schick 12"
                            3. Abis SA-1
                            Cartridge: Miyajima Kansui and Premium BE Mono
                            PhonoPre: AprilSound LR, EMIA Strain Gauge, EMIA silver SUT
                            CD: Wadia 860x
                            Server: Innuos Zen Mini Mk3
                            DAC: Computer Audio Design 1543 Mk2
                            Preamp: Bent Audio TAP-X w silver autoformers
                            Amplifier: AprilSound SET50 monoblocks
                            Speaker: Pioneer PAX-30C

Comment

Originally posted by Beaur View Post
                              My digital gear has remained fairly constant since the addition of Roon last May.

Sources; Wadia 860x for discs, Mac Mini w/Roon & Promise Thunderbolt array for files. The Mac feed a Bel Canto RefLink converter. The RefLink feeds the Bel Canto Dac 3.5 via fiber. The dac is powered by battery. The Wadia also uses the 3.5 most of the time.

Probably won't change much about it as I need the Mac in the home system as a video server for movies etc. May do the 3.7 upgrade to the DAC soon.
                              For the dinosaurs among us, what exactly is Roon? 😟

Comment

• Beaur
                                Beaur
                                Premier Club Member
                                Beaur commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Roon is the best GUI for interfacing my music library this side of Sooloos. Tidal integration is a bonus.
                            Working...
                            X