• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Viva Hifi Scott
    Premier Club Member

• Viva Hifi Scott
    replied
    Goheelz, I haven't heard that particular model, but I have heard Dan's mod of an earlier Sony SACD player and the improvement was stunning. The thing about Dan's mods is that he completely replaces all the circuitry after the DAC as well as the power supply. Big improvements are almost inevitable!

Leave a comment:

• Goheelz
    Premier Club Member

• Goheelz
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Scott -- Any chance you've listened to a ModWright-modified Sony HAP-Z1ES? I have a stock Sony and wonder about the sort-of-pricey Mod that Dan has for it.
  • Alrainbow
    Premier Club Member

• Alrainbow
    replied
    That is a nice player I am heard a few modded by them.
    It is simple good digtal.

Leave a comment:

• Viva Hifi Scott
    Premier Club Member

• Viva Hifi Scott
    replied
    I'm late coming to this thread. I listen to digital source music with the ModWright tube modded Oppo BDP-105. I also use a Hollis Audio Labs HAL dedicated audio computer running through the Oppo/ModWright DAC and output section.

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    Premier Club Member

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Funnny it's true too. But I would stil want it to play them. There are plenty to buy used and new.
    While red book is very good dsd is closer to your analog home 🏡. Very well made unit and they make first rate devices. There is a new one that plays sacd as well.
    I read a review and it does do things a bit off the path that I'll bet make it sound as great as it does.
    At my age I should be spinning disks lol. But I don't.

Leave a comment:

• Bodhi

• Bodhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
    Lol all good does it play sacd disks. ?
    Inhet the disk part as you play vinyl they go hand in hand for sure. Me using roon to sort the stuff out for me.
    No it is rbcd-only. Vitus told me that with Sony no longer supporting SACD and good SACD transports in short supply, it made more sense to build a great RBCD player instead since they had good supply of the excellent Phillips Pro 2LF transport mechs (which in turn are heavily modified by VA).

The furthest I go in the direction of streaming is Internet & DAB radio. I much prefer to own physical media I can touch & read the liner notes etc. That said I do enjoy playing digital files on my computer & off my IPod in the car (which is for another thread).

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    Premier Club Member

• Alrainbow
    replied
    King Rez you don't need the dos commands st all
    don't read it.
    Read where to download the win server and create a folder on your desk top.
    Put the ISO you download in it.
    Then get a tumb drive and use the free ISO to USB boot
    program.
    Then install a new cheap 120 gig solid state drive in your setup. Remove all other drives inside it.
    Then install the tumb drive and at boot screen hit the key to get you to a boot menu. Pick the brand thumb drive you used. It's simple from there.

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    Premier Club Member

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Lol all good does it play sacd disks. ?
    Inhet the disk part as you play vinyl they go hand in hand for sure. Me using roon to sort the stuff out for me.

Leave a comment:

• Kingrex
    Forum Leader

• Kingrex
    commented on 's reply
    Soon. I downloaded and read the 70 page instruction manual for server 12. Also watched the video on dos comands. a bit overwhelming. Hopefully 2016 does not need all the work
  • Bodhi

• Bodhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post

I gather you don't use a server and separate dac ?
    I don't mean to sound snobby but it pretty much a given those who love analog put there efforts into it and don't diverse into better digital plays back setups.
    That's right. To be honest I haven't even tried connecting a Laptop or HDD via USB as I still enjoy spinning shiny discs, and in most cases i'd expect cd's to sound superior. Though Vitus spent 6 months alone developing the DSD USB board for the Mk2, so it was done right.

No offense re: your analogue comment, but given this thread was posted in the Digital Playback forum, my post was on-topic. As a general comment, I don't have the room in my apartment for a vinyl rig or the space to store vinyl, hence I bought a very nice cd player & invested the money in good isolation and cables to optimize my player. At some future point I plan to add an analogue setup.

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    Premier Club Member

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodhi View Post
    My digital source is currently the terrific Vitus SCD-025 Mk2 cdp (below). I have my player sitting on 3 Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Ultra bases on a heavy Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G board. This is the best & most analogue sounding cd player i've owned by a fair margin, and has a wonderful musical flow.
    I gather you don't use a server and separate dac ?
    I don't mean to sound snobby but it pretty much a given those who love analog put there efforts into it and don't diverse into better digital plays back setups.

Leave a comment:

• Per Sundell
    Premier Club Member

• Per Sundell
    replied
    The PD-95!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4164.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	547.8 KB
ID:	63919

Leave a comment:

• Bodhi

• Bodhi
    replied
    My digital source is currently the terrific Vitus SCD-025 Mk2 cdp (below). I have my player sitting on 3 Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Ultra bases on a heavy Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G board. This is the best & most analogue sounding cd player i've owned by a fair margin, and has a wonderful musical flow.
    Bodhi
    Last edited by Bodhi; 09-03-2017, 01:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    Premier Club Member

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Feel free to call me of you need to. AO website has the download links and how too. For win 2016 not sure he does
    let me know I can post a link here
    download to desk top use the ISO to USB conversion tool
    the USB drive needs only 8gb or so. Nothing else goes on it.

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    Premier Club Member

• Alrainbow
    replied
    I have three severs I use and 2016 and AO beats them by a margin. There is a term used in dgital audio. Not sure I ever heard it in analog. Wet is one way to explain the improvemt
    win 10 and I don't mean this is as an absolute but it's dull to me. It lacks the ambience that win SER 2012 had.
    Win 2016 has more ambience but more wetness to it.
    Great analog has texture some call it grain and it is ina way. But what bad digtal has is a shine removing the shine exposes the texture
    do it and don't look back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X