No announcement yet.

Recommend a NAS to use with a digital streaming bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Areas is a good server. What dac to you use. Does have network input capable ?
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Ki Choi
      Ki Choi commented
      Editing a comment
      Haven't decided on the DAC yet. I have few older one like the Mytek 192 Stereo but thinking something newer.

This topic should be its own sub forum as many people would love to know how to set up a network. All of the experienced people here could help people with the basics of how to set up a server, software, and NAS drives. At the present, I only have some outboard hard drives and I would prefer to go to an NAS setup. Dave Clark could chime in and give us some ideas on outboard power supplies for the NAS.
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Dave Clark
      Dave Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      See my comments way below.

MEp I would love to help you or anyone. Ask me questions and I will answer. Even start a thread I'll help all I can. I just found out why I never was rec thread updates lol.
    analog stuff.
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
      Heads up
      buy the green it's cheaper and yes has slower seek time but they last longer Google it. Not kidding. J river is the best at organizing but try it as instead first don't spend days loading up drives and find its gone sideways lol
      Al, I've been using Red mostly as they've been designed for the high temps in NASs. I've have a number of earlier drives go south on me unexpectedly, and the only think I can think of is heat. Since going Red, I've never had an issue with a drive. But like always, YMMV.
      Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

I have a 4 bay all red
        and another two bay that had two red all in raid 1. Both droves went bad and these are symbology drives with fans and you can select the speed to make them quit
        they sit away from
        my room a bit so the fans are on high. When one went bad right after the other I felt it was heat too. Till I googled it and now I think different. If a drive goes a few months it's more likely to last a long time. But the Google search states go green lol. As for the fetch time I do not play from them they spin and sound is odd compared to solid state inside the sever. Maybe I was unlucky too. But you can google this info.
        analog stuff.
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

• allenh
          allenh commented
          Editing a comment
          Thx, Al.

I owned the MyTek it's a love hate situation. MyTek is used on some of the dsd we Lauren too. Based on this it was the first dsd dac I bought period.
        For me it's dsd is ok but not real dsd I sound
        it's PCM was always needles in my head sorry Myles I say hat too. I just sold it a few months back. It's software is not too cool either it gets corrupted or just stops working.
        Nkw the good news. With my server the MyTek sounded much better in PCM but it's dsd still lacked the sound I like.
        It's headphone is subpar but it's preamp something many claim is bad is not to me. I used it to convert SE to balance and it's volume for my lampi. Dead silent and really nice. Until I get the transformers delivered I use my Msb dac to do the same.
        Thanks for replying.
        analog stuff.
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post

I was about to order more red to fill up the slot. Thanks for the Green drive tip. i'll need to get four more drives I believe to keep up with Bruce B. So far I have four drives loaded and in the process of trying it out with Aries and J River.
          Al, I couldn't find any WD Green 8TB drives, only Red. I know Ki has been using the 8TB drives. I have 6 of them - working fine so far. Also have 28 4TB Red, all working fine over the past 2-3 years. The new 8TB drives are Helium injected. Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Auralic and the like (Roon, JRiver, etc.) will sort out your music though not necessarily by Category unless you specify that I believe. Have never done that here - I just point whatever I am using to the NAS and allow it to show what I have by either Artist or Album. While the Green drives are solid, I was told by someone who has more experience that the Red drives work better for music. My NAS is the defunct Integrita C4 from Certon though I do have a Drobo as back up. The C4 uses Red and the Drobo uses Green. A few suggestions - clean power is a requirement for stability and longevity (in my opinion) as is a really good LPS - think SBooster for a NAS though the C4 has its own custom internal LPS. Also consider battery backups. I also use several lan filters from Acoustic Revive and separate SBooster LPS for both the wifi netgear extender and switch. They are also getting 'conditioned' AC and with reasonable $$ AC cords. Ethernet cables matter for me and I use those from either Sablon, Wireworld, or Cardas. I use an external OWC Mercury Pro 24X DVD, 48X CD Read/Write ripper along with dB Poweramp (flac and no compression). I can say that different renderers/streamers do sound different (whether it be due to the software they use or the design of the unit).
            Dave Clark
            Editor and Publisher, Positive Feedback
            www.positive-feedback.com

Comment

Ki Choi, the steps are rather simple though there are times when you might need to redo the steps... with the Auralic and setting it up.
              Dave Clark
              Editor and Publisher, Positive Feedback
              www.positive-feedback.com

Comment

• Ki Choi
                Ki Choi commented
                Editing a comment
                Dave, thanks for your advice. After trying the Auralic close to a year, I gave up on them. Although the service / support provided were good, I chose to stay with PC and Jriver. DAC is Mytek Manhattan II.

• Dave Clark
                Dave Clark commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting, I have the Aries and Mini here and both work fine. Set-up is easy and sonically they are stellar as well.

Asside from a aynogy or built nas and I do like them too. I would suggest a server tower and use it for a nas storage setup then just share the drives over the network.
              A win 10 is fine but win severs are better but complex.
              Lastly what ever you buy or use it’s a really good idea to power it from a good LPS. Weather it’s a synology
              nas or made server.
              One other point take a network switch and use it from
              your nas or CUST sever to pc that plays to the Dac
              keep it away from the rest I f your network even if connects to your home network.
              Use an lps on it. Do this and the nas or sever LPS yields very a worthwhile Improvment. Also avoid roituers umless you have to meaning don’t connect your nas and dac pc to it directly isolate as I showed above.
              a 200 watt hdplex and dc atx board is about 500 or so
              it can power the os drive and 4 spinnig drives easy
              i have this with 4 8TB DRIVES.
              mine does win SER 2016 and AO but I don’t expect All to do this.
              I sell no products but do testing and what I post is not just read it’s also tested by me ina reall world environment
              enjoy
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Can I have my files protected yet in connected drives. I currently keep One Drive in a cardboard box somewhere in my house. I also have a couple drives out there with friends. Every time I insert a new drive into my 2 Bay Synology nas, it wants to erase everything on that drive then mirror it to the primary drive. I would like a way 2 take my backup Drive insert it back into the NAS and only have it add additional files that were missing.

I gather a single nas won't do this. Is there a way to have 2 Nas that back up to each other but only when told to do so. Even better, one Nas is not powered on. When I do power it on i have to tell the 1st nas to back up to the second and nas. Additionally it won't try to erase everything on it then replace every file. I want software smart enough to detect what is missing and add only those files.
                PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
                Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
                Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Lol so complex. You can make backups of storage drives inside your nas in fact almost any ready made nas has features for this. But once it's changed by another nas it's no longer yours. One way is back up to windows and keep these in a static bag in a firerated safe. Or you can run raid 0 a complete mirror so you need double the amount of needed storage.
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

[QUOTE=Alrainbow;n103262]Lol so complex. You can make backups of storage drives inside your nas in fact almost any ready made nas has features for this. But once it's changed by another nas it's no longer yours. One way is back up to windows and keep these in a static bag in a firerated safe. Or you can run raid 0 a complete mirror so you need double the amount of needed storage. [/QUOTE

Backing up to Windows meaning take a USB connected drive and copy all your files to it and store it in a safe place. That's an interesting idea. There probably are some good programs that would recognize any new files that have been loaded onto the NAS, then add them to your USB drive when you connect it back up to your computer. I will dig on the internet and see what I can find.
                    PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
                    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
                    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Working...
                    X