Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12AU7’s for Audio Note DAC?

Hello,

I have an Audio Note DAC 3.1x/II Balanced. It used two 12AU7’s in the analog output stage. I have a pair of NOS Siemens 12AU7’s and a pair of Amperex Bugle Boys. Any thoughts about which to try first?

Thx,
    Andy
    Transrotor Rossini Turntable w/Jelco SA-750DB
    Audio Note Io Gold Cart. w/AN-S9 SUT
    Audio Note CDT-Four Transport/Woo WDS-1 DAC
    Ayre QX-5 Twenty Dig. Hub & 13” MacBook Pro w/Roon w/Melco N1A NAS
    AN OTO Phono SE Signature Int. Amp w/AN-E SEC Silver Speakers w/Murata Super Tweeters
    Purple J-Corder 1520 R2R and Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Deck
    PSAudio P10 AC Regen./Equi=Tech Bal. Transformer
    Harmonic Technology, Audio Note, Kondo Sound Labs, Stealth, AQ Cables
    Woo GES w/Sfax SR-507 Headphones

I assume that you are going to roll both pairs, therefore, it should not matter which pair goes first. Just take your time and live with each pair for an extended period using all type of music.

Comment

what you have are good, but if you want to try more, I would suggest smooth plate telefunkens from the sixties NOS. they sound great and last a really long time in the circuit.
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Two totally different sounding tubes. I’ve never been a huge Siemens fan; great if you want extra detail but little thin and bright to my ears. The Amperexes will be little more mellow and thicker sounding. Maybe not as defined in the low end. If the DAC 3.1x is anything like the DAC 3.0 I reviewed years ago, the Amperex might sound too colored in the AN.

One tube I used years ago in my Altis Audio DAC was the Radiotechnique (Mazda) 12AU7 recommended by Kevin Deal. He actually still has a stock of these late ‘50s tubes. Pretty linear sounding and very dimensional. Another one and a bit cheaper to play with especially if like the Amperex is the Sylvania 6189. Warm, rich and smooth if not a little creamy sounding.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Are the tubes being used for gain, or are they just a buffer stage? I have a hunch that tubes have less of a difference when rolling when they are in a buffer circuit than when they are in a gain stage but when I asked about that in this forum I got no definitive answer.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Jc I feel like you and know two buddies with passive pre amps they say it does effect the sound
            so maybe we are wrong as for the defensive answers it's how DIY forums are at times
            speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
            mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
            digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
              Are the tubes being used for gain, or are they just a buffer stage? I have a hunch that tubes have less of a difference when rolling when they are in a buffer circuit than when they are in a gain stage but when I asked about that in this forum I got no definitive answer.
              IME, the tube circuit that has the greatest impact on sound is gain =>rectifier and then => buffer. Typically, when people employ a tube buffer into their system, they are not hearing the tube but the effects of a corrected impedance match.

Comment

• JCOConnell
                JCOConnell commented
                Editing a comment
                or an incorrect impedance match
                Last edited by JCOConnell; 07-24-2019, 07:24 PM.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
              Two totally different sounding tubes. I’ve never been a huge Siemens fan; great if you want extra detail but little thin and bright to my ears. The Amperexes will be little more mellow and thicker sounding. Maybe not as defined in the low end. If the DAC 3.1x is anything like the DAC 3.0 I reviewed years ago, the Amperex might sound too colored in the AN.

One tube I used years ago in my Altis Audio DAC was the Radiotechnique (Mazda) 12AU7 recommended by Kevin Deal. He actually still has a stock of these late ‘50s tubes. Pretty linear sounding and very dimensional. Another one and a bit cheaper to play with especially if like the Amperex is the Sylvania 6189. Warm, rich and smooth if not a little creamy sounding.
              Fantastic tube! Another excellent flavor early RCA 12AU7 black plates

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                The tubes are used for gain right before the output transformers. I replaced the stock Chinese tubes with the Bugle Boys and they sound very good but are maybe a bit soft and warm. The Siemens are OK but do sound a little thin. I’ll look into the Mazda’s. I have one Telefunken that I’m using in my phono stage and it sounds amazing, but they are dear to say the least.
                Transrotor Rossini Turntable w/Jelco SA-750DB
                Audio Note Io Gold Cart. w/AN-S9 SUT
                Audio Note CDT-Four Transport/Woo WDS-1 DAC
                Ayre QX-5 Twenty Dig. Hub & 13” MacBook Pro w/Roon w/Melco N1A NAS
                AN OTO Phono SE Signature Int. Amp w/AN-E SEC Silver Speakers w/Murata Super Tweeters
                Purple J-Corder 1520 R2R and Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Deck
                PSAudio P10 AC Regen./Equi=Tech Bal. Transformer
                Harmonic Technology, Audio Note, Kondo Sound Labs, Stealth, AQ Cables
                Woo GES w/Sfax SR-507 Headphones

Comment

Working...
                X