Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DSD Analog to Digital Converters (ADCs): Can You Hear A Difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don''t have much experience with native DSD yet. What I can comment on though is that upsampling CD to DSD in the dCS is the only way I can enjoy my extensive CD collection. The improvement is quite remarkable.
    dCS Paganini 4-stack, Linn Sondek Cirkus Lingo Trampolin, Shelter 9000, EAR834p, CJ Premier 16LS Rohm Z-Foil, CJ Premier 12's Rohm Z-Foil Teflon KT120, Audio Exklusiv P3.1, JL Audio F113, Towshend Super Tweeters, Audio Exklusiv d.C.d Base, Feet, Silent Plugs. Cables: AudioQuest Sky, Volcano, Coffee AES/EBU, Furutech AG-12, Mains: Transparent Reference XL, Shunyata Python, PS Audio, Furutech plugs, PS Audio Dectet x 2, Hi-Fi Tuning Cryo & Fuses. Dedicated Mains Spur.

Comment

Originally posted by L3AND3R View Post
      I don''t have much experience with native DSD yet. What I can comment on though is that upsampling CD to DSD in the dCS is the only way I can enjoy my extensive CD collection. The improvement is quite remarkable.
      Just curious, what sounds better ultimately, your dCS with hi res files or your analog linn rig with the best Lps?
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

Just curious, what sounds better ultimately, your dCS with hi res files or your analog linn rig with the best Lps?
        The phonostage is holding things back quite a bit currently. It was much 'better' (in a audiophile way) when I still had the Manley Steelhead. The EAR is beautifully musical though, but a little soft and lacking in resolution. It's very easy to enjoy and listen to for extended periods though.

The dCS however is quite a bit better at playing a wide range of enjoyable Redbook CD's upsampled to DSD and all four units clocked in unison. The clocking is essential to get this superior level of performance from it though.

To be honest I prefer CD's spinning in the transport than feeding through downloaded 'hi-res' files from a source I cannot clock. Clocking the digital system from front to back with the master clock is absolutely vital. The advantage of the higher resolution files somehow seem to get lost somewhere and at this point I can only ascribe it to the clock and general inferiority of the cheap servers I'm using.

The leveler will be the dCS Rosinni. I'm hoping to get my hands on one soon to make these comparisons really worthwhile.

On the vinyl side I'll be paying close attention again when I can find a well kept CJ premier 15 Phono. 😀
        dCS Paganini 4-stack, Linn Sondek Cirkus Lingo Trampolin, Shelter 9000, EAR834p, CJ Premier 16LS Rohm Z-Foil, CJ Premier 12's Rohm Z-Foil Teflon KT120, Audio Exklusiv P3.1, JL Audio F113, Towshend Super Tweeters, Audio Exklusiv d.C.d Base, Feet, Silent Plugs. Cables: AudioQuest Sky, Volcano, Coffee AES/EBU, Furutech AG-12, Mains: Transparent Reference XL, Shunyata Python, PS Audio, Furutech plugs, PS Audio Dectet x 2, Hi-Fi Tuning Cryo & Fuses. Dedicated Mains Spur.

Comment

Originally posted by L3AND3R View Post

The phonostage is holding things back quite a bit currently. It was much 'better' (in a audiophile way) when I still had the Manley Steelhead. The EAR is beautifully musical though, but a little soft and lacking in resolution. It's very easy to enjoy and listen to for extended periods though.

The dCS however is quite a bit better at playing a wide range of enjoyable Redbook CD's upsampled to DSD and all four units clocked in unison. The clocking is essential to get this superior level of performance from it though.

To be honest I prefer CD's spinning in the transport than feeding through downloaded 'hi-res' files from a source I cannot clock. Clocking the digital system from front to back with the master clock is absolutely vital. The advantage of the higher resolution files somehow seem to get lost somewhere and at this point I can only ascribe it to the clock and general inferiority of the cheap servers I'm using.

The leveler will be the dCS Rosinni. I'm hoping to get my hands on one soon to make these comparisons really worthwhile.

On the vinyl side I'll be paying close attention again when I can find a well kept CJ premier 15 Phono. 😀
          Do you have the latest EAR phonostage? My buddy just got his and it is much better than the earlier model. Especially in the midrange and upper midrange. New tubes, bigger power supply.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
          -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

The differences I have heard with A>D converters were pretty apparent when ripping records. Some accentuated the surface noise, and some made it less noticeable. For example, one unit stretched out the duration of pops and ticks, making them more noticeable, while another allowed them to dissipate faster making them less noticeable.

Comment

I bought a Prism Sound Lyra 2 interface last year, as I wanted a high quality interface to archive my 1/4 inch production masters tapes. Many recording studios use Prism Sound A2D converters. The Lyra 2 is a 2 channel unit, which uses the same recording interface and circuitry as the multitrack Titan and Orpheus interfaces. My late friend, Stewart Emmings, was the chief archiving engineer at the British Film Institute. He told me all about Prism Sound before he passed away at the age of 49. He was absolutely right - just lovely sound with space, delicacy and real musicality.

PS Prism Sound Converters are used at AIR, Abbey Road and Metropolis studios in the UK, as well as Capitol in LA among others.
              Last edited by topoxforddoc; 02-09-2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

I've used every A-D DSD converter known to man... some unobtainium..... the only A-D converter I would use today is the Merging Horus with the new cards. Folks have been unable to distinguish vinyl rips from tape. It's that good.......

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
                  jonathanhorwich commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bruce, up until a few years ago when A to Ds improved greatly and set high standards, like your Merging Horus, the absolute best was the JCF Latte. Doug Sax and his recording engineer told me to get it and nothing else some 7 or 8 years ago. They were right. Killer good and musical rather than digital HiFi sound. But today it may have been bettered as you note above.

Link please
                thanks in advance
                analog stuff.
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Found it. Can you hear the change in dsd 64/128/256 ?
                  analog stuff.
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                  sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                  new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                  thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                  thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                  kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                  phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                  speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                  mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                  digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce B View Post
                    I've used every A-D DSD converter known to man... some unobtainium..... the only A-D converter I would use today is the Merging Horus with the new cards. Folks have been unable to distinguish vinyl rips from tape. It's that good.......
                    Bruce,
                    Thanks for this. How did it compare to the Prism Sound ADA-8XR?
                    Charlie

PS Are you really saying that a vinyl rip can be as good as a distribution master tape? With my 2 I/O Lyra2, the production master digital rip is indistinguishable from the actual tape. But I haven't found any vinyl replay, which gets near tape or a production master digital rip.

Comment

I've posted somewhere the steps that I go through for vinyl transfers. I use SME 30/2 with Series V arm and Koestu Coralstone going into a Pass Labs XS....

The Prism converters were really great about 5-10yr. ago.... but the newer technology has pulled ahead.... I know others have heard their vinyl rigs equal or sometimes even surpass tape.

Comment

• topoxforddoc
                        topoxforddoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bruce, many thanks for the info about Prism and its competitors. Hard to understand how vinyl can surpass a production master played on a properly lined up studio machine though.

• Bruce B
                        Bruce B commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You have to realize... to approach tape, these vinyl rigs are sometimes approaching $100k or MORE!

• topoxforddoc
                        topoxforddoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        But, given the generational data losses in the music from the tape to LP, how does a 100k TT rig retrieve music data that is on tape, but not on the pressed LP?
                    Working...
                    X