MSB Select II dac arrival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSB Select II dac arrival

the MSB Select II arrived yesterday, and I listened for 6-7 hours.....then this morning for another hour or so.

I removed the rubber stock footers from below the power supply and am using BDR cones on top of the Symposium Svelt Shelf. the dac is using the rubber stock footers into the detents in the case of the power supply.....for my initial listening.

right now using a generic USB cable and an Absolute Fidelity power cord with Furutech NCF plugs. settings on the SGM are 'bit-perfect' through HQ Player.

just how good is the MSB Select dac?

I'm not really ready to answer that. there is quite a bit of investigation needed to go there. but I will say that the musical experience of every track I've listened to in the last 5 and 1/2 hours is significantly improved over any previous digital experience.

and it's not so much that it sounds better, but in the ways it sounds better that so far is impressive. there is just a sense of easy musical expression without stress, and with such natural speed, separation, clarity and command. nothing forced or confused. like other digital is a bit constipated and filtered. yet the flow is hypnotic. make your audio checklist and check every box. it does it all.

and my body feels like 'all-analog'. not 5+ hours of digital.

so I'm explaining my emotional and physical reaction to an extended session with the MSB Select II. I'm not assigning any rank or attribute.....or trying to describe it's sound.

I've heard nothing so far that would limit my opinion of this product......but don't have the complete picture.....yet.

and no doubt I've not yet heard the best of the Select II. there are a number of areas where the performance should improve to some degree going forward. I will say it seems to fit right into my system and my expectations of a synergy with my system appear to be right on.

note to admin---I see no links to add photos, which I would like to do.
    https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

I was lucky to hear that dac In a very nice setup.
    What are you using as a source. ??? The aurender I heard it with sounded great.
    Try tidal masters from a server if you can.
    A few more questions do you have the new tidal ready USB modual installed. Do you have the new firmware filter
    for red book. The one I heard did and while I agree with your first assessment simple red book from tidal was off the hook. Dsd was very good too. And it is great digital to a point where I don't see a need for analog. In fact in my own setup using a server while I have not had anyone works tape deck in my setup I cannot imagine it getting much better. Perhaps ona different side ways change.
    The first one was not so hot lol. But the select 2 is masterful dac. What options do you have as well network input ?
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post

note to admin---I see no links to add photos, which I would like to do.
      I'm not admin but it is pretty easy to do. See the link below on how to post pictures.

Posting Pictures On Audionirvana
      https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/main-forum/suggestions-and-feedback/26038-posting-pictures-on-audionirvana

Dre
      Every day is a good day to play analog.
      - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
      - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
      Every day is a good day for live music.
      Every day is a good day to listen to music.
      Industry Affiliation:
      Contributing Writer, The Absolute Sound

Comment

• Mike Lavigne
        Mike Lavigne commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you Dre. for whatever reason I'm having a bit of trouble (for the first time) with the forum software with previous buttons and methods missing when I try to post.

possibly it's my Windows 7 or IE.

• Dre_J
        Dre_J commented
        Editing a comment
        happy to help. nice photos.

MSB Technology Select DAC II manufacturing , and its only $90k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6QOcZ7Ijs
      Chris
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Great news Mike. I'm sure this will be thrilling as the select dac II settles into your system. Did you start off using the RCA out put modules and your references interconnect or the xlr modules?

Comment

• Mike Lavigne
          Mike Lavigne commented
          Editing a comment
          my Select II came with the XLR module which I'm using now. MSB has an RCA output module in transit to me right now for me to try and I will directly compare those two and keep the better sounding of the two.

I'm using moderate level Tara Labs XLR cable now; my RCA Grandmaster Evolution w/HFX grounding stations have been idle since the GG left. so it would be wonderful should the RCA;s be as good as the XLR's. i'll use a set of moderately priced RCA's to compare to really know which interface is best and most synergistic in my system.

and 'thrilling' hardly covers my experience so far. 'stunned' comes closer.

so tonight I've taken out one of the big guns; the Ilia Itin Debussy Preludes, in native Quad x256 rate dsd.......11.2Mhz. this is about as 'pure' a digital recording as one could find. the dynamics, precision, purity, tonal complexity and overtones of the big concert grand piano are breathtaking.

in the 18 months I've had these files I've played them hundreds of times on a number of excellent dacs.....as they do reveal all.

it is as if I had never heard these files before when heard right now on the Select II on the big rig. the continuousness, the vivid frankness of the playing, the delicacy and nuance, the deep and complex overtones that go on forever, the tension and pace, are profound. yet so effortless and authoritative. is this direct to disc vinyl? is this tape? I don't know how to categorize this. so I won't. i'll just enjoy it.

Vince from MSB has some favorite TBM go-to piano SACD's he likes to use to demonstrate the Select II at shows. this recording is a few degrees of magnitude more real than those.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Select-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	56227Click image for larger version  Name:	Select-3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	56228

Comment

• Audioraven
          Audioraven commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful setup, Mike.

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
        I was lucky to hear that dac In a very nice setup.
        What are you using as a source. ??? The aurender I heard it with sounded great.
        Try tidal masters from a server if you can.
        A few more questions do you have the new tidal ready USB modual installed. Do you have the new firmware filter
        for red book. The one I heard did and while I agree with your first assessment simple red book from tidal was off the hook. Dsd was very good too. And it is great digital to a point where I don't see a need for analog. In fact in my own setup using a server while I have not had anyone works tape deck in my setup I cannot imagine it getting much better. Perhaps ona different side ways change.
        The first one was not so hot lol. But the select 2 is masterful dac. What options do you have as well network input ?
        Al,

I'm using the SGM (Sound Galleries Music) server, outputting 'bit-perfect' through HQ Player over USB as a source. I also use Roon and Tidal with the newest software.

as far as options on the MSB Select II I have the USB MQA Quadlevel output, plus the 33 Femto clock. I will be getting the newest version of the Ethernet MQA/Roon capable Renderer when it's available in about a month. then i'll compare it to the USB with the SGM and use which is better sounding.

Comment

Great to read and thanks for replying my Msb journey started writh a play plus 4 with the umt plus separate psu , s. Truly was a mind bending assault of the brain at the time. When I built my first server it greatly improved the sound before using the umt plus as a server to the dac was better. Before I sell my setup I would love to hear that dac in my system. For me pure dsd never sounds as good as tape sourced. But of course its choice and as a novice I really don't know right just what my perception of it.
          Whwre can I get that music you posted about. ???
          I really want to hear it. Piano is a tell tail
          sign of great digital.
          analog stuff.
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Mike Lavigne
            Mike Lavigne commented
            Editing a comment
            my experience is different; I prefer native 'pure' dsd sourced files to tape sourced files in general......not to say I don't also enjoy tape sourced.

I linked the name of the recording in the text above to the file at Acoustic Sounds. but here is a clickable link to that dsd256 file if that helps.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/11...256fs_Download

highly recommended as a concert grand piano reference file.

I just payed for the download. Thanks for your post and links very kind. I still my GG with new updates it's a close
          tave with the right tubes per say. But the new select is a marvel of tech and simplicity to use. Try upsmapling pcm to dsd 256 dsd my lampi does this to dsd 512 for me on some music it greatly imporoves it. At 256 it's less. But try it on your select 2 dac.
          analog stuff.
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Mike Lavigne
            Mike Lavigne commented
            Editing a comment
            the MSB Select II can do dsdx512, and even dsdx1024 if you had a way to input it. whether those actually sound better, or just different, is a question. I had a GG with the dsdx512 engine and I agree that in that case it did add a little something over the dsdx256 dac chip.

You also play vinyl. That's what makes this hobby so diverse. You have the best of both to choose from and your preference is digital pure. Do you attend live events in un amped and what do you prefere when you compare them to recordings ? Musical reproduction is very much like fine dining one must acquire a taste for great food. But even when served it one must like it more over time.
          For me as I wind down on a search for perfection I have come to choose what I like more than others pics . Pure dsd sounds digital to my brain where sourced from analog has a more musical sound to me. Your download is almost done ill post how I feel. But always take my views as a novice and never meant to me knowing better
          and thanks for your posts.
          analog stuff.
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Mike Lavigne
            Mike Lavigne commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks Al.

to be clear, my comments about preference of native dsd files over tape sourced files only pertain to listening to Quad dsd files of both, not listening to vinyl. and some systems might favor a tape sourced file as that likely adds a bit of body and warmth in direct comparison. the native dsd files are a bit more vivid. in my system that is closer to real to my ears.

I've only had the MSB Select II now for 36 hours, and have not listened to any vinyl since the Select II has arrived. so I'm not yet able to comment on that comparison; I do not expect the Select II, even playing dsd256 native files, to fully measure up to my vinyl. but until I actually 'go there' my mind is open to any result. I expect it to be closer than any digital yet to my vinyl performance.

enjoy that Ilia Itin file; I will watch for your comments about it.

I truly respect your honesty it's tough to locate mostly lol
          it seems offensive to some but should not. all of this is a grand illusion for each of us. That dac is most likely not just a world class Ausio device but more about a
          leading edge in Audio reproduction.
          analog stuff.
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Mike Lavigne
            Mike Lavigne commented
            Editing a comment
            thank you Al, for your kind comments.

and I have to agree with you about the Select II being something very special to listen to. I'm excited to live with it for awhile, find out just how good it can be once I get it optimized, and then see where that takes me. it is leading edge no doubt just after a few hours of use.

here is a better pic.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	SelectBlackFront.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	502.2 KB
ID:	56251

Comment

May I ask what speakers tomylu use ?
            analog stuff.
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	front-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	56255
              Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
              May I ask what speakers tomylu use ?
              I use the Evolution Acoustics MM7's.

http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/lo...eries/mmseven/

here is a room picture from 2 years ago; I need to take some more current pictures. it's hard to perceive the actual size of the speakers from the picture as the room is quite large and so the speaker's 7 foot tall, 750 pound (each tower) stature can only be appreciated if a person is standing next to them for scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
                Click image for larger version Name:	front-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	56255

I use the Evolution Acoustics MM7's.

http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/lo...eries/mmseven/

here is a room picture from 2 years ago; I need to take some more current pictures. it's hard to perceive the actual size of the speakers from the picture as the room is quite large and so the speaker's 7 foot tall, 750 pound (each tower) stature can only be appreciated if a person is standing next to them for scale.
                What an awesome room Mike. Just awesome.
                Chris
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Working...
                X