dCS Rossini DAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dCS Rossini DAC

I recently bought dCS Rossini DAC and would like to hear your opinion about it, if there are any other dCS users
    Magico S5, Pass Labs XA160.8, Audio Research Ref40 Anniversary, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono, dCS Rossini DAC, dCS Rossini Clock, Synology NAS, Transparent Ref XL cables, Shunyata Sigma Digital power cord, Acoustic Solid One Turntable with Acoustic Solid tonearm and Triplanar Mk. VII, Transfiguration Phoenix, Vandenhul MC1, Benz Gulwing SLR

I have never heard one but do have some I know who have. It's a top tier dac and at that level it's views you like more than better. Reading the specs and options it seems it digital rolls filters and on the fly upsamplings. It must have a very powerful processor inside. Enjoy it.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

is that one of the current models? Or is it a vintage model?
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• geceon
        geceon commented
        Editing a comment
        Rossini is latest model available since february 2016. dCS has currently Vivaldi and Rossini ranges.

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't heard recent models but I did hear a top line dCS system in a home setting about 15 years ago and it sounded wonderful. I can only imagine with improvements that today's gear is even better.

It's a terrific DAC - congratulations!

Comment

The distributor delivered the dac to me last tuesday and I have been listening to it since then. I also borrowed the Rossini clock. I have not decided yet whether I will also buy the clock. The clock makes a difference for sure but this difference is not huge. The soundstage opens up, gets wider with the clock and the instruments can be allocated better on the stage. I will decide in couple of days. I so far took couple other dacs home for auditioning, which are MSB Analog dac and Gryphon Kalliope. I believe dCS beats them all imho. I used to own Auralic Vega which is not at the same league, so there is no reason the make any comparison.
        Magico S5, Pass Labs XA160.8, Audio Research Ref40 Anniversary, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono, dCS Rossini DAC, dCS Rossini Clock, Synology NAS, Transparent Ref XL cables, Shunyata Sigma Digital power cord, Acoustic Solid One Turntable with Acoustic Solid tonearm and Triplanar Mk. VII, Transfiguration Phoenix, Vandenhul MC1, Benz Gulwing SLR

Comment

I think nowadays flexibility enters into the picture eg. the ability to play all digital formats including up to quad DSD.

The new DCS stuff is a huge step from where they started. Despite all the favorable early reviews, the early DCS stuff - in this case the Elgar that I had in also - did nothing for me. The Rossini seems a good option in the DCS line and when I've heard it impressed me with its dynamics, bass and transparency. It will never ever be mistaken for warm though. It falls into that neutral digital camp.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
          -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by geceon View Post
            I recently bought dCS Rossini DAC and would like to hear your opinion about it, if there are any other dCS users
            A warm welcome to the Audionirvana community too!

Thatban Acoustic Solid table in your avatar?
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
            -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
            -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
            -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
            -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• geceon
              geceon commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes my avatar is an Acoustic Solid turntable. Solid One

After having spent three days with the Rossini Clock, I also decided to add it. The clock is an essential part of it. Once I heard I cannot live without it.

Comment

Congrats! I have the Vivaldi DAC and Upsampler and would like to add the clock one day.
              Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

Comment

• geceon
                geceon commented
                Editing a comment
                Vivaldi is world best dac imho. ( I haven't had chance to hear MSB Select dac by the way ) I have two friends that also added Vivaldi clock in time. They bought say the improvement is huge. We auditioned with and without the clock and I also feel the same way. The problem with the Vivaldi is that it required many cables to operate properly which is additional cost.

What do you use as a source. Server , network ? This would matter reg the clock upgrade.
              analog stuff.
              new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

• geceon
                geceon commented
                Editing a comment
                Rossini has an internal renderer which is connected to my network. I tried both ways from usb input with Macbook pro and network. I think they both sound the same. I heard from another owner he thinks network input is superior to usb input.

• Madfloyd
                Madfloyd commented
                Editing a comment
                I use a music server running Roon.

I don't have your product but do have a dac with features like yours. Networks are very good and if not using a good server they can be better. USB may matter more from a source choice. Better dacs like yours reclocks and isolates as well and will matter less from sources. But even a great dac may need a better server in USB playing
              dsd it demands munch source resources. It's one reason better dacs like yours has a network input. USB is very complicated to do right. If you hear the improvement in the clock that's a good sign. Also a better clock matters more in complex music than simple music atleast it did on my dac.
              one last commnet this is hi end audio and there is many views to any commnet as in mine. My views are my own that have been acquired from my own trials
              over about 6 years. Your dac is a very good dac by anyone's standard at your level it's more about views than better. Hardly anyone writes about hi end dacs and I feel most OWNER'S don't know it's great but pride of ownership is a better judgement in buying it.
              Mike who owns the Msb sel 2 is an exception in he has had many hi end dacs and does know more than most.
              Enjoy your dac and love its sound. Analog people for the most part will never love digital no matter who or what it is. Yes analog is not digtal and may never be in our lifetime. It too is not or should not be about better it's really yet another great view.
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Finally, dCS released MQA update for Rossini yesterday. I tried with some sample files. I do not think MQA will be anything special at all

Comment

Finally, dCS released MQA update for Rossini yesterday. I tried with some sample files. I do not think MQA will be anything special at all
                  I've heard both sides of the MQA debate...but put the most stock into those that have actually heard it. The update should be ready for my Vivaldi DAC soon, soon I'll post my thoughts...
                  Speakers: Rockport Lyra
                  Amps: Nagra HD Pre Amp & HD Amps
                  Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus Gen 6 cabling
                  Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Isolators
                  Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
                  Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Kuzma 4-Point, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra Classic Phono & PSU
                  Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Comment

In my opinion, Esoteric is a little better sounding than dCS. The build quality on the dCS is superb but the sound is not as good as their main competitor Esoteric.
                    President, Nextscreen LLC, publisher of The Absolute Sound, hifi+, and WindingRoad.com

Comment

After having spent three days with the Rossini Clock, I also decided to add it. The clock is an essential part of it. Once I heard I cannot live without it.
                      I've done this A/B and the clock made a pretty significant difference.
                      President, Nextscreen LLC, publisher of The Absolute Sound, hifi+, and WindingRoad.com

Comment

Working...
                      X