Bricasti M1 Ethernet upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bricasti M1 Ethernet upgrade

I'm one of the early adoptees of the Bricasti M1 and for some time I've been a bit of their guinea pig with firmware updates and hardware upgrades. I am currently using what is now the SE version of the M1. It has all the bells and whistles.

One of the things I like about Bricasti as a company is they are always updating the M1 and often these are free or at a minimal cost to the consumer. I recently called Brian Zolner to find out if there is anything new. He told me that there is now an ethernet card for the M1 that when put on a network elevates playback. According to Brian, USB is the bottleneck.

I went for the upgrade and damn he was right. I can only speak in terms of cliches because they all apply - there is more "there there". Everything is fuller, richer, real. Redbook playback is insane.

There is a downside. First you have to be on a network. I have a Synology NAS with all my music files on the network. That part is easy for me. I'm controlling with an iMac but the software you need to use at the moment is JRiver and if you want the corresponding JRemote for your mobile device. That's the only option for Mac users at the moment. I find the interface to generally suck and its a bit convoluted. On the other hand its $70. Bricasti is in the process of getting approved for Roon which I understand is gorgeous and also quite a bit more expensive.

I've been spending so much time with my analog setup that I've really not been doing much listening to digital lately. I think that's going to change...
    PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
    www.lasercd.com
    www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, ASR Basis Exclusiv, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, Modified Mac Mini with Red Wine Audio Battery Power Supply, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Originally posted by lasercd View Post
    I'm one of the early adoptees of the Bricasti M1 and for some time I've been a bit of their guinea pig with firmware updates and hardware upgrades. I am currently using what is now the SE version of the M1. It has all the bells and whistles.

One of the things I like about Bricasti as a company is they are always updating the M1 and often these are free or at a minimal cost to the consumer. I recently called Brian Zolner to find out if there is anything new. He told me that there is now an ethernet card for the M1 that when put on a network elevates playback. According to Brian, USB is the bottleneck.

I went for the upgrade and damn he was right. I can only speak in terms of cliches because they all apply - there is more "there there". Everything is fuller, richer, real. Redbook playback is insane.

There is a downside. First you have to be on a network. I have a Synology NAS with all my music files on the network. That part is easy for me. I'm controlling with an iMac but the software you need to use at the moment is JRiver and if you want the corresponding JRemote for your mobile device. That's the only option for Mac users at the moment. I find the interface to generally suck and its a bit convoluted. On the other hand its $70. Bricasti is in the process of getting approved for Roon which I understand is gorgeous and also quite a bit more expensive.

I've been spending so much time with my analog setup that I've really not been doing much listening to digital lately. I think that's going to change...
    Uh oh. The digital devil is trying to steal your analog soul and turn you into yet another DCP.
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Yep, that will happen once Roon is available. That thing is a like a rabbit hole into your music collection...
      Disclosure:
      Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
      Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
      [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

I'm also very curious about this network card available in the M1. When it is "Roon Ready," can the M1 be connected directly to the network and subsequent NAS for playback of local files, or do you still need a computer running as a Roon "Core"?

Comment

• lasercd
          lasercd commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you will need a computer.

• Alex Siufy
          Alex Siufy commented
          Editing a comment
          You can install the Roon Core on suitable NAS devices, no computer necessary. This is the way to go, IMHO, if you have a large collection and wants to use Roon.

Alex assuming this is correct, how do you control Roon?
        www.lasercd.com
        www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, ASR Basis Exclusiv, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, Modified Mac Mini with Red Wine Audio Battery Power Supply, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

I've like the Bricasti M-1 since its debut. Looks good, sounds terrific, well supported and not terribly expensive. Glad you are happy with yours!

Comment

Alex assuming this is correct, how do you control Roon?
            With an iPad, iPhone or from your actual Mac.

Roon is a three piece system: Core, Player and Control. Core manages your music (files), and does the heavy lifting. Player will, ermm.. play, and this is the bit that needs to be physically connected to your DAC, externally via digital connection (USB, SPDIF, etc) or internally, via a streamer card (Ethernet). And Control will show you the beautiful UI and let you pick stuff to play.

You can have all three parts in one device, say, your Mac. Just install the entire Room thing, and you have the three bits, hook your Mac to your DAC, and voilá. This is less than desirable, of course.

Now, you can install just Roon Core on your NAS, and point your Mac to use THAT as Core. So now your Mac is doing two out of three jobs. Better, but still not quite there.

Enter the Ethernet-based streamer module. Once made Roon-compatible, this will effectively turn your Mac into a remote control, doing just one of the duties, while the NAS will do Core, and your streamer module will do Player. Now *this* is what everybody wants.

Of course, if you don't have a ton of music (like I do, 16Tb and counting), you can make do with a Roon-compatible music server, such as the Innuos (http://innuos.com) line. These will work both as a Roon Core, substituting a NAS, as well as Roon Core + Player, hooked up to your DAC via USB.

cheers,
            alex

Disclosure:
            Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
            Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
            [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

• lasercd
              lasercd commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for that detail. Makes sense. I now understand that Roon compatibilty for the M1 imminent.

I am a relatively new Bricasti fanboy, having purchased the M12 last month. I can verify from my 9 years of futzing around with computer-based playback that the LAN and the LAN card approach are definitely the wave of the future in terms of connecting computers with DAC's. I view all the D-to-D conversion devices (Microrendu, dCS network bridge, etc.) as wonderful, but transitional technology for all the DACs out there that need USB or spdif interfaces. I am also a fan of Roon, and am eagerly awaiting it for the Bricasti."Roon readiness" has allegedly been in the "any day" mode, according to Brian, since early July. I'm not sure what the issue is (the M5 external player already is Roon Ready), but I hope it gets resolved soon. I agree JRiver is a suboptimal GUI and a flakey playback interface. It is, however, very good for file tagging and library management. Fortunately, with a Windows 10 server, I also have the option of Bubbleupnp and Minimserver, which I am using until Brian gets the Roon thing through. -- David

Comment

Audirvana 3.1 beta is working with the M5 at the moment but not my M1. Bricasti, Audirvana and myself are trying to sort out the issue. Hopefully its a simple fix. I was told it sounds fantastic with the M5. Audirvana is my preferred software so I'll stick it out until they get it working.
              www.lasercd.com
              www.lasersedgegroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by DavidZ View Post

I am a relatively new Bricasti fanboy, having purchased the M12 last month. I can verify from my 9 years of futzing around with computer-based playback that the LAN and the LAN card approach are definitely the wave of the future in terms of connecting computers with DAC's. I view all the D-to-D conversion devices (Microrendu, dCS network bridge, etc.) as wonderful, but transitional technology for all the DACs out there that need USB or spdif interfaces. I am also a fan of Roon, and am eagerly awaiting it for the Bricasti."Roon readiness" has allegedly been in the "any day" mode, according to Brian, since early July. I'm not sure what the issue is (the M5 external player already is Roon Ready), but I hope it gets resolved soon. I agree JRiver is a suboptimal GUI and a flakey playback interface. It is, however, very good for file tagging and library management. Fortunately, with a Windows 10 server, I also have the option of Bubbleupnp and Minimserver, which I am using until Brian gets the Roon thing through. -- David
                Hi David!

Glad to have you aboard!

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• DavidZ
                  DavidZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Myles. Nice site.

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-d...etwork-player/
                Dave Clark
                Editor and Publisher, Positive Feedback
                www.positive-feedback.com

Comment

This thread convinced me to try the M5. I currently use an Audio Note DAC with a usb/spdif converter. I'm looking forward to the comparison.

Comment

Working...
                  X