No announcement yet.

Digital Audio Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry mep. I thought you had a NAS. I reread and you have usb hard drives. Do the same exporting procedure as before, just connect with a usb and export to the internal drive. Dont play off the external drives. Everything else remains the same. I am suggesting to learn the piece of gear in your hands. Its very good. If you want to try something later, go for it. Ethernet or USB can be a successful installation. Each has its merits. Unfortunately few people have had an optimized setup installed at the same time to do a head to head comparison. I sure have a hard time finding any on the internet forums. There are some with SOTM units against the Innuos. I posted a link on my thread earlier with 3 devices tested head to head. They seem to come down to personal preference.

Also, try and take your time to enjoy the process. Don't rush it. Heaven and Earth took 6 days. Digital will take 7. I loaded server 2016 with Roon and AO. Then I listened for a couple weeks and got familiar with Roon. Then I made a bunch of Bios and AO adjustments and listened for a couple weeks. Then I loaded HQ player and listened and tweaked for a couple weeks. Just the other day I loaded Roon server and run my music from an external computer. I am now listening and tweaking. It will start to get enjoyable as the sound gains will stop you in your tracks and capture your attention. Its like nothing else to have really good digital sound. Its so very smooth and flowing. The sound stage will stagger you as well as the extension of tone top to bottom. As the noise floor drops away and the digital glare subsides you will get drawn in. Its really a very pleasant median for listening to music.
    PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Mike, I see you have the Femto clock on your MSB. Is it actually sitting between your server and DAC. In other words, is it setup to reclock the digital signal from the server before it gets to the MSB.

Did you try any reclocking when you had the Aqua Formula DAC ?
      Thanks
      PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
      Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
        Mike, I see you have the Femto clock on your MSB. Is it actually sitting between your server and DAC. In other words, is it setup to reclock the digital signal from the server before it gets to the MSB.

Did you try any reclocking when you had the Aqua Formula DAC ?
        Thanks
        the clock is modular inside the MSB Select II, so it is an 'end user' upgrade over the Femto 77. it's not in any separate box outside the chassis, however I cannot say the exact architecture for the clock inside the dac.

the Aqua Formula dac had a clock inside the chassis, it's is designed with modular boards, but I cannot say whether it's an option to re-clock with an outside clock. I have my opinions about how clocks effect the performance, but my technical understanding is so limited that I will keep them to myself. my ears vote for the MSB approach to this issue. the continuousness and lack of any apparent digital signature of any kind from the MSB Select II is proof of concept.

for the last 30 minutes I've been listening to a wonderful 96/24 file of Chopin, Listz and Ravel solo piano works by Benjamin Grosvenor. no place to hide anything out of sorts on music like this on the big rig. the MSB Select II totally nails this and i'm riding the wave. all the scale, power and majesty, along with delicacy, vividness, sparkle, and superb decays and overtones. lovely. this separates the men from the boys among digital reproduction. effortless, flowing and alive.

Comment

I have been going back to Maurizio Pollini Chopin Nocturnes. More simple music but wonderful piano tones. When you start to hear the felt hammer strike the string, then the sting interact with the wooden structure of the piano and the suble differentiation between 2 different elements vibrating in unison as the two decay away, its just magical. Getting these tones to stand out and be vivid has been a big turn for my system. I was not able to do this with my Vinyl. I feel pretty lucky to have found it where I did.

Comment

I'll just stick to my Lumin, and its app simple and easy. And it sounds good. Not to mention NAS friendly and the support is awesome/.
          Chris
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post

the barn NAS (located in my rec room above my listening room in the barn) drives the SGM server over my network. the SGM connects to my MSB Select II over USB. so no, the NAS does not directly drive the dac over Ethernet, but at some point that could happen.

the other NAS is located in my house. I know the NAS units run on a Linex OS. the mirroring is done manually with an r-sync command remotely by my son when I ask him to (every 6-8 weeks). his viewpoint is that RAID is done for performance but is not helpful for safe backup. the way he has it set up a bomb or fire could take out one NAS and the other would be safe. 18 months ago I had Russian hackers destroy the data (ransomware) on one of my NAS units, the other was unhurt since they could not access it. I have irreplaceable files I need to protect.

the network is a whole barn + house network, has 3 Giga-switches and is very fast.

not sure if the Synology units use SMPS or LPS. you could look it up. my SGM has only LPS's. I think the one Giga-switch between my NAS and SGM does use an LPS.

only one network, but there is only one switch between the NAS and the SGM server. if I end up with the MSB Roon-MQA Renderer I may replace the generic network cable (NAS to MSB dac) with Synergistic or other 'uber' network cable.
            Good morning mike
            I get the raid for back up and having it available to use
            and a nas is not sound degrading in all uses but certain uses it is.
            Have your son make your music netwrok Private from your home keep all your music drives on the network alone. This does a few things one is the network traffic is limited to that network alone. It’s not about bandwidth it’s about sound and from a data stand point bits are bits but not in sound.
            You still can see your nas drives from outside he network
            amd still have internet access.
            Any SW ,router or naz needs a lps it’s a must have. But if you use one dedicated SW for your own network that SW and a lps gets you most of the way there.
            Sourcing a raid nas that does not use a buffer drive is degrading the sound. I know I had your setup lol.
            For netwroks I think we need a diagram to show the path for me or others to see things better.
            One way to achieve the private magic netwrok is
            a additional router that is dhcp this feeds he SW or sws on that network alone. Never use a router directly always a SW
            in this setup both router and SW ,s need lps but lps on the SW is still pretty good.
            The synolgy psu is pretty good on its own it is on mine but still improvment is heard witha lps.
            All nas drives use Linux it’s free , stable and written for the purpose and fine.
            a quick story on SW bandwidth. I used a simple 5 port 10/100 SW i use network software to check or monitor many aspects of my servers including netwrok sevixes.
            During palyback that Stats in this thread show we don’t need much
            runnijng a roon scan on 24 TB takes long and I went into the bios and enabled All to go faster. Running 8 cores still slow. When I checked netwrok usaage it was about 50
            Out of curiosity I changed it for a gig SW the netwrok now jumped to 6/700 mbs. That was my bottle neck. Now windows dhcp controls the networking services used for it
            but it governs the usaage based on availability of it did not
            oir netwroks would crash often like meps. Lol.
            Later I will post two simple programs used to monitor
            many aspects of our toys.
            Room built for purpose 20/9/55 ft
            speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
            mark levivson pre no 26 Amps no 33
            mogami gold mic interconnects , new soon
            digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO 2.20 and cust Linux Kernal for NAS
            player roon server , dac PC HQ player USB power cut at main board
            network isolators cat 7a shielded , LPS for all pcs and network switches and routers. Audio network ips dedicated nas is music and network switch and router. Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
              I have been going back to Maurizio Pollini Chopin Nocturnes. More simple music but wonderful piano tones. When you start to hear the felt hammer strike the string, then the sting interact with the wooden structure of the piano and the suble differentiation between 2 different elements vibrating in unison as the two decay away, its just magical. Getting these tones to stand out and be vivid has been a big turn for my system. I was not able to do this with my Vinyl. I feel pretty lucky to have found it where I did.
              Rex it’s exaclty why some hate digital not knowing how it can sound and quick judgments of it can’t be this good.
              I aksed here a few times what digital do you guys use not one had anything done right except for mike l who always has great stuff done well. As I am willing to try to help
              questions need to be answered and recommendations tried. So far it’s just you hahahahha. Glad you enjoy your setup and more to come for you my friend
              digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO 2.20 and cust Linux Kernal for NAS
              network isolators cat 7a shielded , LPS for all pcs and network switches and routers. Audio network ips dedicated nas is music and network switch and router. Dacs lampi various

Comment

I would be iinterested to hear what other units could sound like. The Problem for all is setup. Joe showed some topology for Lumin. I'm pretty suspect of using a wifi router. Even direct connected Ethernet needs correct cabling with proper shielding and grounding to sound its best. Routers and switches need to be optimized for audio. Each misstep would be a reverse cumulative impact. I bet a Lumin could sound great if it were implimented properly.

I hear a lot of people say I like this or that for ease of use. One box can be great if you play from files stored within. Once you reach to external files, you have to take the while network into account. You just made your house cabling and storage devices, components that should be treated with the same respect the manufacturer of your server put into his device.

Comment

Mep don’t disable them at first it’s just play and touch the three dots and go to file location
                  there it shows where your song is playing from. Perhaps first just play music and enjoy it. Then go to best step

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Siufy View Post
                    Just to set the record straight: I don't advocate for USB. DACs with built-in Ethernet renderers are usually better. But there simply isn't enough DACs out there with built-in Ethernet renderers, so I suggested what mep would most likely be using, which is USB.

Now, suggesting mep get a NAS is ludicrous, and this is the sort of attitude that leaves people cold. A server should not require a NAS or a switch.

Again, I suggested USB to his DAC because it's simpler, not because it's better. If he gets a DAC with a built-in renderer, like an MSB or PS Audio, he'd still be able to use the same server I've recommended (Innuos), since it also has a built-in Ethernet switch.

mep, what have you hooked up to your DAC? Your laptop or this server you're evaluating? If it's a Windows laptop, you'll likely need to install drivers. If it's a server, and it needs drivers, just send the thing back and get a different one.

Alex-What is hooked up to my DAC is the Mojo server via USB. The responses here show why I asked these questions that I did. I don't want to waste money buying things I don't really need. So one person is telling me to go the NAS route (and I know there are plenty of people who have done that), and you are saying it's ludicrous. As I feared, there doesn't seem to be consensus on a basic way to setup a digital audio network system. I hope people appreciate the different responses I have received so far and how confusing and complex some of the answers appear to be.
                    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs, and a pair of JBL 4345 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

Alex-What is hooked up to my DAC is the Mojo server via USB. The responses here show why I asked these questions that I did. I don't want to waste money buying things I don't really need. So one person is telling me to go the NAS route (and I know there are plenty of people who have done that), and you are saying it's ludicrous. As I feared, there doesn't seem to be consensus on a basic way to setup a digital audio network system. I hope people appreciate the different responses I have received so far and how confusing and complex some of the answers appear to be.
                      Hello mep. I think Alex went sideways as I misspoke. I thought I saw you had NAS storage. When I read Alex response, I reread your component discription, apologized for the small misdirection, then suggested to keep all I said the same, accept for exporting from your external HD storage to internal storage for playback. Sorry again for any confusion I may have caused.

Comment

Can someone be kind and explain who is who here.
                        Menwijg who represents a product and what product.
                        Then who here has this product in use be it review or own it. It would help me greatly and I don’t have any issues with makers posting here in fact I love that.

Comment

I don't have any financial ties to a Server product or other devices. I do believe in the Server I utilize In my system. As well as the preamp. Not sure about my DAC although I am getting good results with it. It is the 3rd DAC I have owned and the best so far. .

I have offered to wire line voltage power to some here. I may start offering structured media in the future. I need to rewire my place first. Then maybe Joe will let me experiment on his. I should have a loom of cable in about 3 weeks for my house.

Comment

At this point today, I would be very happy if someone who understands Roon very well and understands how to setup DACs correctly in Roon and get them to work could help me get my DAC going. I guess with 40 steps necessary to play a file from NAS drives I shouldn't be surprised that setting up a DAC is a nightmare.
                            SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs, and a pair of JBL 4345 speakers.

Comment

• Alex Siufy
                              Alex Siufy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              mep, I've sent you my phone # is private, you're welcome to call me and I'll help you.

• dsnyder0cnn
                              dsnyder0cnn commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm still catching up on this thread, but let me know if I can help...

-- David

I'm gonna throw this out there too. When you get your digital optimized and really hear the music. When it literally stops you in your tracks and you have to listen. At that point you will look at your vinyl as I did and say, hey whats going on over here? Good digital can be used as a tuning fork. It allows another way of hearing a song to get a fresh perspective on the playback coming from your vinyl setup. I can hear the noise better and loss of resolution. I am pretty sure my Denon is going to the soundsmith to get a ruby cantilever and nude contact stylus. .

Comment

Working...
                            X