No announcement yet.

Digital Audio Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pros and cons are for the nucs both the new ones and older ones. I am sorry I continue to confuse you guys and I know it’s me. Again sorry
    Room built for purpose 20/9/55 ft
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 Amps no 33
    mogami gold mic interconnects , new soon
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO 2.20 and cust Linux Kernal for NAS
    player roon server , dac PC HQ player USB power cut at main board
    network isolators cat 7a shielded , LPS for all pcs and network switches and routers. Audio network ips dedicated nas is music and network switch and router. Dacs lampi various

Comment

• dsnyder0cnn
      dsnyder0cnn commented
      Editing a comment
      haha...okay. Sure. Agreed that any Intel NUC is likely a terrible thing to connect directly to a DAC in the listening room. As far as I know, all NUC models have noisy fans, which in mind immediately eliminates them from consideration even if they were electrically well behaved, which I suspect they are not!

They make lovely media servers if you can put them on your home network but somewhere in the house that's far from the listening room.

• A HB is like a network renderer and can be run forms sysnology nas and an iPad nkt a bad way to play music.
    A Nuc is a full blower server burn is week and cannot handle a really good dac innrhat it’s not a hi end server.
    If linux is used it’s a better due to low need of resources
    but as above if you put linux and windows in the same room windows wins every time
    Room built for purpose 20/9/55 ft
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 Amps no 33
    mogami gold mic interconnects , new soon
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO 2.20 and cust Linux Kernal for NAS
    player roon server , dac PC HQ player USB power cut at main board
    network isolators cat 7a shielded , LPS for all pcs and network switches and routers. Audio network ips dedicated nas is music and network switch and router. Dacs lampi various

Comment

• RandyRobinson
      RandyRobinson commented
      Editing a comment
      In my system, linux wins. I think this must be a personal preference, system dependent variable or dependent on the code used.

• I have my Linear Solution switch in my basement. Its 15 feet from my server. It is recommended the switch be in my rack as well as NAS as cables are antena. The maker of the switch says he is challenged to make an Ethernet cable with shielding good enough to be longer than 5 feet. He says the radiated noise from switches, NAS etc are real, but he finds it better to use short connections and keep the audio gear close together. less RFI, EMI etc to inject into the signal and degrade sonics.

There is interesting information on the Blue Jeans cable website pertaining to maintaining Ethernet cable integrity. If you jump to Beldens site you can find Ethernet connectors that try to eliminate shortcomings in ethernets physical makeup. I would venture to say, unless you hire a real data company to wire and terminate your house, as well as use expensive materials, you probably have a less than optimal Ethernet network in your house.
    I have 2 sets of Ethernet cables arriving this week. I am personally trying to keep the NAS and switch in my basement. I have limited room on my rack and to many cables behind to cause interference. For the most part, these cables are to inform me on whether a good cat 6/7/8 improves performance over household cat 6 with cat 6 jumpers. I did swap one cat 5 jumper for cat 6 and immediately heard an improvement. If better Ethernet cables makes as much an improvement as changing a cat 5 to cat 6 jumper then a moment of pause should be taken when designing a Ethernet based system. Cables seem to matter everywhere.
    PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgood@verizon.net View Post
      @ dsnyder0cnn do you have any experience using Ethernet over power instead of having Ethernet run? I see Netgear and others make devices for this.
      Yes. At the moment, 14 of the 16 devices that are connected to the central switch in our house are PoE. The only two that are not are my Synology NAS and network router. It's nice because the central switch is connected to a UPS...which means that all of the networking in the house stays up even when the power is out.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch + UPS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	798.1 KB
ID:	92903

This switch is a Ubiquiti Networks UniFi Switch 16. It was a little spendy, but it has performed beautifully so far. You see the UniFi Cloud Key hanging out of one of the ports. It's essentially a small Linux server that is used to manage/monitor all of the UniFi products in our house. Others include the Security Gateway and a pair of AP AC LR access points.

I could not quite afford to use UniFi switches for access layer throughout my house, so I'm using four Netgear GS108Tv2 8-port PoE powered switches instead. I also have seven security cameras from HikVision. All recommended stuff.

Thanks for indulging the non-audio show-and-tell. If you have a specific question, let me know.

-- David

Comment

• dsnyder0cnn
        dsnyder0cnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh wait...I did not read the question carefully!

Power over Ethernet (PoE) is very much not the same thing as Ethernet over powerlines. I'm doing the former...not the latter.

• Kingrex
        Kingrex commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not catch that either. But either way, the only way I see it working well is if a company such as Lumin or Linn or somebody built a system specifically designed to operate that way. Then they could do the necessary design to keep the noise out, or filter it if it was getting in.

• dsnyder0cnn
        dsnyder0cnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think noise (especially ground plane contamination) is a big problem with Ethernet since the ports on Ethernet switches are magnetically coupled. My solution has been to place a small (PoE powered) access layer switch in my listening room between my USBridge (https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html) and the house wiring.

• I just started reading this thread, mainly out of curiosity about the subject. A few thoughts from my perspective. I have been an analogue (now strongly into tape, but also with my crazy vinyl collection), but started into fairly serious digital about a decade ago. I was trained as a theoretical astrophysicist and did computer coding in the FORTRAN IV days with punch cards. However, now in my 70's this stuff is way above my head. I've ended up working with consultants whom I have to trust to help me through the digital morass.

For example, almost a decade ago I wanted to digitize a large part of my vinyl and R2R tape collection (10K + albums). Knowing that everything was in real time or longer (ended up taking six years) I had a consultant guide me through the process on what equipment, hardware and software, to buy and how everything fits together. Later I had issues with trying to have a system that would play multichannel files at a very high quality. This time I thought I knew enough to put that system together. I was wrong, and after a lot of frustration, had another consultant put together a package that works really well. Now I have just bought my third DAC (the first one for ripping my vinyl and tapes, the second for multichannel files) for really good sounding stereo for hirez DSD and PCM. This time, I have relied on the advice of several people, but not a consultant. The third DAC is the first USB connected DAC of the three. I'll see whether I need a consultant for this.

What is most difficult in trying to do it myself, is that for me, and I would guess, many others, is first to follow the discussion and back and forth on threads like this, and then to get a bottom line - what should I do? There may be several ways to skin the cat, but in the end, most of us will have to choose one of those ways. That is where the consultant has been most useful. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that the consultant's advice and work is without potential improvement.

I know several of you on this thread and I really appreciate the time and effort that you are making, sharing your knowledge.

Thanks, Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiGG, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
        Steve Lefkowicz commented
        Editing a comment
        I made an error in a JOB Card in FORTRAN once and locked up the only running Xerox Sigma 9 mainframe in operation for about 6 hours. The theoretical bill to our department in college was over $23,000. Fortunately they billed departments purely to let them know how much their share of operating time was.
        I got a stern talking to about that one!

• astrotoy
        astrotoy commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve, funny story. Most of my work was using a CDC6400 and then a CDC6600, both took up a huge room. I checked recently that the CDC6400's computing power is slightly less than that of an iphone 5.

• Kingrex
        Kingrex commented
        Editing a comment
        Didn't we put a man on the moon with computers of that caliber. Amazing.
    Working...
    X