Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone interested in making their own Turntable Dustcovers for low cost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested in making their own Turntable Dustcovers for low cost?

I had just finished rebuilding a former radio station turntable and didn't feel like paying $200-300 for custom dust cover so I grabbed a leftover a piece of acrylic "glazing" I had bought a larger sheet of from the local Big Box Store to fix a storm door. Using my Saber Saw I cut it to shape, sanded the edges smooth, and then I used my Bernzomatic torch to heat it where I wanted to bend it. It was all pretty easy, and even though free came out a little messy.

I decided I like the concept of being able to make a quick DIY dustcover, if I could neaten the messiness from the torch. For the next step I built this Acrylic Bending Table from some inexpensive Big Box Store Plywood and hinges, along with a length of "heater wire" (Nichrome Wire), aluminum channel, and a spring. The idea would be to use the Variac (Variable AC Transformer) I already use at my test bench for a new function as well.

The "heater wire" is stretched taught in an aluminum channel and I use a line cord with alligator clips to clip onto both ends of the wire and then turn on the Variac to around 20-30 VAC which gets the wire to glow a dull red. I lay the acrylic on the table where I want to make the bend and get a nice clean bend now!

Acrylic Bending Table by
    c f, on Flickr

I made this dust cover from a $12 piece of acrylic bough directly from the Big Box Store in exactly the correct size:

TD-150 Covered by c f, on Flickr

More expensive Fluorescent Acrylic, Blue in this case, was available from ebay shipped for $24 in exactly the correct size for this dust cover:

Blue Dust Cover by c f, on Flickr

These are very simple "set-on" dust covers with a spindle hole to guide placement, that can double as a hanger hole if you install a brass round head screw in the wall near the turntable - and you hang the cover by the spindle hole on the screw head.

My thought is at these low costs there is no need to have naked turntables!

You can make these low cost simple bent acrylic dust covers for your tape decks too:

TEAC acrylic dust cover ts by c f, on Flickr

Comment

Those are all really nice. I need to make a dust cover for the entire room. I hate dust more than just about anything.
      Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

Originally posted by dminches View Post
        Those are all really nice. I need to make a dust cover for the entire room. I hate dust more than just about anything.
        Thanks! These are soooo inexpensive and simple to make.

Comment

I built this wood case and bent the dust cover for my Crown CI-822 for well under $50 all-in. The heavy gate handles really aid in moving the beast. Take note of the Sonex foam in back of the case to drop the noise floor in the listening room.

Crown cover 1 by c f, on Flickr
          Last edited by chrisfromri; 05-17-2019, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Very cool...

Comment

You appear to be WAY handier than I am!
              Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
              Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
              Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
              Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
              Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
              Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
              Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
              Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
              CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
              Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
              Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
              Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
              Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
              Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

This was a cool one showing how to use an angle in the bend and using Fluorescent Orange Acrylic that actually "light up" quite a bit more to the eye than on a camera. It's coveraing a Beast of a classic Rek-O-Kut with an Ortofon Dynamic Tracking Force Tonearm.

Rek-O-Kut Orange Dust Cover by c f, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X