Resistors for phonostage question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistors for phonostage question

I've been listening to a Lehmann Decade phono and have added new resistors to the open slot, the factory loadings of 100 and 1000 aren't quite right as the Soundsmith has preferred 470ohms on two other phonos.
    I put in a pair of Caddock MK232-5 470r 0.75w resistors, to me they sound a little sterile. Very quiet but as I said sterile.
    Do resistors have sonic signatures by brand? Is there a richer sounding resistor? Or, do the better ones just get quieter?
    I have thought about the Vishay Z foil's, but after reading may get more of what I'm getting now?
    Maybe Mills?
    Any help would be great. Changing them out is easy and price isn't an issue either.
    Thanks!
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
    DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. MoFi Studiophono
    PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
    AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
    CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

A whle back I did a comparo of several resistors with different values using my (at the time) Atma-Sphere MP-1 and Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge. Those included:

Caddock MK132
    Caddock TF020
    Vishay S102 (nude)
    Audio Note Tantalum

When all was done the Tantalums were my fav followed by the nude Vishays. The Tants have slightly better tonal depth than the Vishays which are quite clear, but may be a teeny bit tipped up. The MP-1 is such a marvelously revealing preamp - it was easy to hear the differences.

Comment

• tom_hankins
      tom_hankins commented
      Editing a comment
      Non magnetic, right?

• Barry
      Barry commented
      Editing a comment
      I have replaced hundreds of resistors in equipment over the years. The Z Foils, specifically the TX2575 series, are widely regarded as the best and most transparent sounding, but the max working voltage is 200V rms (can be doubled up). They are perfect for phono loading. It's difficult to use too many of these except for the price (I once did an entire stereo phono signal path with over 70 substitutes).

I like the AN Tants occasionally, but they are quite a bit more colored than the TX2575s IMHO.

I'll put a pair of the AN on my ordering list. I'm wondering about the Mills that so many people like too.
    DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. MoFi Studiophono
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)

Comment

I too chose the Tantalum over the naked Vishay.

Comment

So no one has tried the Mills, preferably compared to the Caddock 132/232 resistors? Wondering if I should even mess them them or just get the AN and see how it works out?
        OK, just to be sure on the AN resistors. Non-magnetic and does the watt rating matter ? .5, 1w or 2w?

Comment

the value in ohms probably makes more difference than the type of resistor.

PS - If you use too high of a value resistor on a MC cart, it will sound tipped up bright.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• tom_hankins
            tom_hankins commented
            Editing a comment
            I know. I bought the resistors for this reason. Want to run at 470ohm not 1k.

Originally posted by tom_hankins View Post
          So no one has tried the Mills, preferably compared to the Caddock 132/232 resistors? Wondering if I should even mess them them or just get the AN and see how it works out?
          OK, just to be sure on the AN resistors. Non-magnetic and does the watt rating matter ? .5, 1w or 2w?
          So why not try an assortment? Shinkoh is a more reasonably priced tantalum than Audio Note- I like them

You can get Mills,Shinkoh, AN, Takman etc. at Parts Connexion if cost is not an object get a bunch.

Wattage is not consequential in this application 1/4 or 1/2 watt will be fine.

BTW in this application there should be little current through the resistor. Regarding type, it's more about the inductance component and filter network the resistor will create than hearing the sound of metal film or carbon. Thermal noise will certainly be theoretically less with metal films but I doubt you will hear it the way the resistor is used.

I have used the Vishay, Riken( hard to find now) and like the Military RN65 Dale type - cheap and good sounding. I dont like the HOLCOs

Have fun with it.
          Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
          Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
          Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
          Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
          Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
          Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            the Milspec 'brown beans' Dale resistors was what you'd find in classic Levinson, Cello and Krell gear among other brands and after a shootout years ago its all I ever relied on. through hole component parts like ones we're talking about are quickly going the way of the dodo with the prominence of SMT. I noticed Ron Sutherland is using the brown Dales throughout his statement phono stage, the Argentum.

So, I'm ordering AN, Mills, and have the Craddocks.
          Does it.matter if they are magnetic? I'd think non magnetic would be preferred, but is it even an issue one way or another?

Comment

• kcin
            kcin commented
            Editing a comment
            Ideally non-magnetic but.......Don't sweat the magnetic thing.

• tom_hankins
            tom_hankins commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

I would temporarily wire in a 1K pot and adjust it by ear on the fly for best sound. Then carefully take it out and measure the ohms the pot was set to
          and use that as the resistor value to put in permanently.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Just pointing out that the process of trying swapping resistors then listening for a change then selecting preference contains a high degree of uncontrolled expectation bias. The knowlege of the change is complete, takes time, and there's no means to directly compare the result much less perform a blind test. The entire situation is actually worst-case scenario.

Auditory memory is extremely short, swapping resistors takes a relative eternity. The differences between resistors are real in the absolute sense, but the difference a single unit makes in a circuit is highly variable, especially if values are held constant and only the unit type is changed. Not saying a resistor swap doesn't produce an audible change at all, but the method of evaluation here is pretty hobbled.

Comment

• Tech7738
              Tech7738 commented
              Editing a comment
              Kind of my point, except it's his gear, ears, and expectation. No accuracy. So why bother then?

• tom_hankins
              tom_hankins commented
              Editing a comment
              Po ppl
              I am confident that when listening to the different resistors if one brand presents a more fleshed out/less thin presentation than the current ones, my wife and I will hear it. This isn't something we're going crazy on. If we hear zero difference. We move on, We aren't that invested. We are just looking for something we like more.

• Tech7738
              Tech7738 commented
              Editing a comment
              Forgive me if this sounds in any way blunt or condescending, that's not what this is about. It seems like what you're saying is "We don't care that much so we're immune to bias".

You definitely seem more invested than I am.
            if one of the incoming choices of resistors works in adding a little more of a meaty presentation fine, if not that's fine too. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But, if they do change the sound I think we'll be able to tell. Then decide whether to keep or move on. Hopefully it will work and I'll have my semi budget phonostage for awhile.
            I am not immune to biases or I wouldnt be asking for opinions on resistors, I have one way to test them at my disposal so if your opinions are outside of that process, they don't help me with my original question. You've taken my original post way farther than I can go, sorry if that comes across I don't care what you're saying.

Comment

BTW, I care, but I'm not worried about it. Two different states of mind

Comment

While we all can agree they sound different I'm with tech it's a very inaccurate way to conclude.
                Also we all love color , noise , and the rest but lack of all some say is dry sounding.
                Caps are even worse in making sound changes
                I wonder how much of the psu in our pre and amps is psu
                over topology
                speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Tech7738
                  Tech7738 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not sure I can say I agree they all sound different. It depends on the specific application and the resistors role in the circuit. And of course, to sound different some change has been made to the signal passing through the device, and changes are measurable.
              Working...
              X