No announcement yet.

What have you DIY'd in your system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The turntable shelf and changed the turntablemotors power to a Nordost Vishnu on my Notts 294! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1465.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	828.3 KB
ID:	35304‚Äč

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
      Lol my wrigthing really is third world.
      Although I have replaced caps as you posted. I meant a computer server for digital music
      Would that be one of the Computer Audiophile systems? Which one, and how do you like it? Maybe you should start a new thread about it?
      Steve Lefkowicz
      Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
      --------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Everything!

Comment

Here are a few miscellaneous projects from "over the years"

Tape stuff not included - yet

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by stellavox View Post
            Here are a few miscellaneous projects from "over the years"

Tape stuff not included - yet

Charles
            Where's your Lazarus amp?
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Myles,

That's more of an amp modification than a DIY build - but thanks

Comment

My turntable platter mat and disc stabilizer. Made by me from materials found at Lowe's.

Comment

I have some diy stuff
                  my server is made by me a scary thought for some hahaha. I just update to the new beta 5 2.20 AO And fid 7.7. It keeps getting better. The silence behind the music is where great sound comes from.
                  Anyway my SE to BAL are made by me.
                  Two pairs of BAL calbles shirt ones for headphones made to real bal specs sound very good.
                  My speaker wires are made by me. Simple 12 gauge lamp cord that is doubled for each pole. So one pair is minus and one pair is plus. Times two for each side.

Comment

I recently finished my hour meter for stylus usage. Some time ago I recapped my power amp, upgraded the input coupling caps on the power amp, had my line stage recapped, and I have two turntables that have a long list of upgrades.

I own an old Denon DP-62L that has had its stock tonearm removed and in its place I installed an OEM Rega RB-300 w/Incognito wiring, Michell Technoweight and a Riggle VTAF. The main bearing in that turntable has been upgraded to a ceramic/jeweled bearing, damping has been applied to the underside of the plinth and to the dustcover. The platter mat is a Herbies Way Excellent II mat and the Denon sits on a Gingko Cloud 11 isolation platform. At one point I had the Denon tonearm lift working with the RB-300. This turned out to be difficult to maintain and I scrapped that and installed a QUp end of LP lifter.

My other backup turntable is a NOS Thorens TD-126IIB with a SME III tonearm. I bought that turntable new in the box and it had never been unpacked since it was manufactured in 1976. I recapped the TD-126IIB and installed the SME tonearm.

Ed
                    Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
                    https://www.edsstuff.org
                    TT: VPI Prime, HRX Pulley, 3 Belt Drive, Dual Pivot, ADS, Ortofon Quintet Black S, Tru-Lift, AQ Leopard, Liberty B2B-1, MW-1
                    Line Stage: *Audible Illusions L1
                    Pwr Amp: Parasound A21
                    Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, Polk SRW 303
                    Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, NAD 446, Schiit Modi Multibit
                    Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, HiFiMan HE-400S, Schiit Lyr2
                    Cables: Kimber Hero w/WBT, Kimber 8TC

*Modified/Customized Component

Comment

some few DIY on my CJ Gear...

https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.h...%3Dcj%2Bbefore

Comment

• Spla'nin
                        Spla'nin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My 'caps' off to you man, that looks like a lot of work / labor of love hopefully. How log did it take for break in and of course how does the improvement sound !?!

My main speakers are built from a Madisound kit. Including crossover assembly. My subs are completely home made. Cabinets included. I built the cartridge hours timers in a separate thread here. All my interconnects are made from high quality mic cable and connectors. All those are soldered with gold/silver/tin/lead solder.
                      Digital (HDCD): Yaqin SD-32A
                      Tape Decks: Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2 (X2) and BII-2H
                      Turntable: VPI Prime Signature, ADS, Periphery Clamp
                      Cartridges/Arms: Soundsmith Voice on JMW 10 3DR & Lyra Delos on JMW 10 3D
                      Phono Preamp: Zestos Andros PS1
                      Amp: Manley Stingray II Amp
                      Speakers: Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Dual Homemade 10" Subs
                      Power: PS Audio P5
                      Accessories: VPI 16.5, Parasound ZPhono USB, JTP Cables, Homemade Dual Cartridge Timers with Remote Trigger

Comment

Spla'nin
                        #25.1
                        Spla'nin commented
                        12-02-2017, 10:16 PM
                        My 'caps' off to you man, that looks like a lot of work / labor of love hopefully. How log did it take for break in and of course how does the improvement sound !?!

hi,

Fortunately i know a good technician that makes me all these upgrades. I bought the capacitors and the other material and pass him to have all this labor.

The improvement is truly abysmal. I sincerely recomend the teflon caps upgrade. The Preamp took about 300h ( PR 14 and EV1) to break in. With the monoblocks amplifiers ( PR12) the improvement was immediate.

After making a total recap in my Revox b710 and Revox A77, my technician is now working in a full recapping of my REVOX PR99...

Comment

• JimTimP
                          JimTimP commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Did you really mean to say the improvements were "abysmal" (terrible) or outstanding? If I spent that kind of money and effort making those upgrades to the caps and such and it came out abysmal, I would think about doing any more.

• EdAInWestOC
                          EdAInWestOC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thats a bunch of change dropped on the VCaps, Mundorf and other premium caps. In my experience it makes all the difference. Caps have improved more over the years than any other passive component.

Here is one of my projects.
                        This is my pre-amp John Broskie designed the Akido circuit and Roy Motran designed the board, it has dual outputs with paper and oil caps for one out and mundorf silver and oil for the second out. I used the Goldpoint selector sw. and Volume control. It is extremely quite and very transparent. I also installed a line out for my headphone amp.

Comment

I have three McIntosh MC 40 and I have rebuilt them all, I used Jupiter wax and sprague atom capacitors, I changed all of the resistors that were out of value and rebuilt the power supplies with new bypass caps . No more silicon rectifier, I changed the ceramic caps to silver mica.

Comment

This is a bottle head headphone amp for my Audeze planars, I really like the circuit design with the double choke however a little more room would not be too much to ask, I upgraded many of the supplied parts and installed a pseudo center tap for the heater circuit and Rel Teflon bypass caps on the coupling caps

Comment

Working...
                            X