• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested in an audio project,

I would like to know if anyone wants to build something to do with audio,
    Please give me your suggestions.

Jam

Are you looking for an audio project to build?
    Hugh Nguyen
    ACA

Comment

I was going to design something for members to build if there was any intrest. Or another member could design a project and I would be glad to help.

Comment

i need another project like I need a hole in my head. I'm kinda sorta game, what did you have in mind?
        TURNTABLE TechDAS Airforce III | TONEARM Graham Phantom III | CARTRIDGES ZYX Omega X SB2 + Lyra Etna SL | PHONO STAGE Boulder 1008 | DIGITAL Innuos MiniZen II + M2Tech Young + Palmer PS | LINE STAGE Boulder 810 | AMPLIFIERS Boulder 850 Monos | SPEAKERS Magico A5 | RACK Adona Eris 6DW | CABLES Mogami + Canare

Comment

Rob,

Well here are some diy ideas

1) Buffer/Preamp

2) Interconnects/Speaker Cables

3) Amplifier probably too complex

4) something from DIY Audio forum

What projects do you have in the works?

Comment

My main project is putting a versa 'table back in service, nothing anyone but its designer can assist with. I have a cosmetic restoration underway on a pair of VTL mono amps, minor stuff like redoing the chrome and changing out corroded binding posts, etc.

a basic buffered preamp with 3-4 line inputs and a stepped attenuator would be interesting, simple enough most people here could attempt it.
            TURNTABLE TechDAS Airforce III | TONEARM Graham Phantom III | CARTRIDGES ZYX Omega X SB2 + Lyra Etna SL | PHONO STAGE Boulder 1008 | DIGITAL Innuos MiniZen II + M2Tech Young + Palmer PS | LINE STAGE Boulder 810 | AMPLIFIERS Boulder 850 Monos | SPEAKERS Magico A5 | RACK Adona Eris 6DW | CABLES Mogami + Canare

Comment

Rob - keep us apprised of your Versa project. I had a 1.2 and a 2.0 once upon a time, but decided that simple was better for me.

Comment

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                very cool. I had a 1.0 back in the day and did not find it intimidating or too complicated, it work flawlessly for me. My 2.0 is missing the compressor/box John Bicht is still around and promised to help me get the 'table up and running again

Id like the plans/schematic for a 150 wpc stereo tube power amp for under $1000 in new parts including chassis. Is that possible?
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                probably not. I saw an older VTL ST-150 on the 'gon for under $900, that's a steal for kick ass amp.

How about we start with speaker wire or interconnects and we can follow up with some comparisons with commercial products?........before we attempt more complex projects.

Comment

JC,

to answer your question, here are some of the best tube kits I know but for the power you require you probably will have to spend twice your proposed budget

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

besides asking for that much power out of a tube design is asking for trouble for various reasons.

jam

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                  Id like the plans/schematic for a 150 wpc stereo tube power amp for under $1000 in new parts including chassis. Is that possible?
                  He should buy it if he is serious about wanting a tube amp of at least 100 watts for $1K.
                  Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I think that a good power line filter might be a good starter project for a lot of people. It's relatively easy to make, doesn't require a lot of electronics knowledge on the part of the builder, and has real benefits to the sound of most systems. Something that one could plug all those noisy wallwarts into that would prevent them from contaminating the power going to one's expensive components.
                    ---Gary
                    Analog: Scheu + Immedia RPM tonearm + Koetsu Black + Pass Xono or Threshold FET 10pe
                    Amps: First Watt F7, HK Citation II
                    Pre-Amps: CJ Premier 14, Threshold FET 10e, DIY 417a with output transformer
                    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite, Reference 3A mm de capo
                    Tuners: Sansui TU9900, McIntosh MR78
                    Digital: i7 Server (Roon) + SSD, Sonore urendu + Mutec MC3+ USB + Berkeley Alpha Dac, Audiomeca Mephisto
                    Power: Audience AR12, Torus Tot, DIY filters

Comment

I would like a remote that mutes the Phone, the dishwasher , the vacuum and Washer and Dryer Build that and I will buy it

Comment

Originally posted by Garth View Post
                        I would like a remote that mutes the Phone, the dishwasher , the vacuum and Washer and Dryer Build that and I will buy it
                        You don't need a remote - you need headphones!
                        Analog: Scheu + Immedia RPM tonearm + Koetsu Black + Pass Xono or Threshold FET 10pe
                        Amps: First Watt F7, HK Citation II
                        Pre-Amps: CJ Premier 14, Threshold FET 10e, DIY 417a with output transformer
                        Speakers: Horning Eufrodite, Reference 3A mm de capo
                        Tuners: Sansui TU9900, McIntosh MR78
                        Digital: i7 Server (Roon) + SSD, Sonore urendu + Mutec MC3+ USB + Berkeley Alpha Dac, Audiomeca Mephisto
                        Power: Audience AR12, Torus Tot, DIY filters

Comment

• Garth
                          Garth commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You have a point

The main website I suggest for all things DIY audio is surprisingly; DIYaudio.com. There are subtopics there on every facet of audio you can think of. The majority of them describe "one off" projects but there are many amplifier/preamplifier designs/discussions that a number of folks have decided to try building and have "chipped in" with PC board layouts (files) and even "group buy" collaborations. Of course, the main problem with DIY, especially electronics is corralling the necessary parts. Fortunately, the site has links to a number of vendors who provide parts / kits / etc.

Audioasylum.com has a few DIY subtopics. They have had discussions on cable building and power conditioning. Jon Risch made excellent contributions to those and his work can be googled under his name.

I've experimented with balanced power conditioning and found it to be worthwhile. PLEASE BE CAREFUL with any experimenting in this area especially if you play around with power line filter capacitors. There are capacitors designed especially AC power line use - I believe they have an "X" designation.

Have fun but keep the (solder) burn cream handy!

Charles

ps. akitika.com has a very reasonably-priced transistorized amp and preamp kit. Don't know who if anyone in the US (or Europe for that matter) is supplying tubed kits. There are a number of Chinese kits on the web have but have seen no feedback on any of them. Anyone tried any of these??? Recommendations???
                        Last edited by stellavox; 07-20-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X