RP6 hot rodded with remote motor mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RP6 hot rodded with remote motor mount

So, I have always felt my vinyl lagged my music server performance. Even after getting a Allnic H1201 and utilizing a Denon 103R with aluminum head shell, and adding all the Groove Tracer Delrin Platter, sub platter and counter weight, it just did not reach a level of performance I expect for my system. Don't get me wrong. Every step was a step in the right direction. And I have a pretty darn good music server, so the bar is pretty high. However, I just new there was more to be had from my Rega RP6. For goodness sakes, reviewers love these things. For a while I have been sitting on the fence about getting a new tone arm. Hmmm, is that going to help? I have also been looking at the Michael Lim remote motor mount and considering that. Of course Joe is telling me get a Roxan. Joel is telling me get a Hans. Those are $4500 to $7,500 investments. I really don't want to spend that money. Well, I am one of those love to fiddle with it kind of people. Why can't I make my own remote motor mount. I have always had my unit sitting on a piece of 3/4" birch plywood. It just worked better that way. One day it was raining, and I had nothing to do. This was the day. I removed the platter from my turn table, locked the arm in place, put a guard over the needle, then opened up the bottom motor mount cover. Inside were 2 screws to remove the speed controller, and with a little light prying, the double sided tape released the motor. With those parts removed I put the table back on it's plywood stand and marked a location through the whole where the motor spindle went. Then I took a small block of wood, added some double sided tape to it and stuck it on my plywood base. Then I did the same on top of the block and stuck the motor to it. Walaaaa, a remote motor.

Let me tell you. That was one of the most significant upgrades I did to that turn table. The background noise from the motor was significantly reduced. All sorts of detail I could not hear in the past was heard. You can turn the volume up much louder and have a black background. When the music is playing there is so much less hash in the presentation. It got rid of a lot of fatigue.

Armed with a positive success I went to the local Laird Plastics and found a sheet of 1/2" acrylic. Only enough to make a base. About 24" x 24" for $35. My base is 17" x 14". On the drive home I also stop at a reuse it shop and low and behold, they have a large sheet of Corian for $60. I pick that up too. Let me tell you, that stuff is dense and heavy. A couple days go by and I find some more time so off to my table saw with the sheet of delrin I go. I clean some edges and get things more square, then cut (2) plates 17" x 14". Through one of them I take a whole saw and cut a 2.5 in whole where the motor goes. I save the core. Then I take a scrap and cut another 2.5" core from it. I take the one sheet I did not cut holes in and double side tape the cores, one stacked on top of another onto it. Then tape the motor to the stack. Then I take the sheet with the hole and place it over the stack of cores. Between the 2 sheets I have 5 little dots of double sided tape, about 1/4" square that I use to hold the sheets in place, and to make ever so small a separation between the two sheets. Then I put the RP6 onto the new platform. Once again another leap forward. Motor noise when you put your ear on the plinth is significantly decreased, almost null. Bass impact/depth is much deeper. Highs are more extended and the location of instruments are more spatially laid out. My RP6 is now a very pleasant analog device to play records on.

Anyone with an RP1 - RP6 would be very happy with this alteration to their table. I would say it rubbishes your retail value, but it really takes an ok table and brings it to a decent table.

As an aside, with the success of the corian under the TT, I cut a couple pieces and put them under my First Sound preamp. It extended the highs and made the presentation just a little more revealing. Enough so that some of my less quality records express their age and wear. With the plywood, there is enough smoothing to not reveal all the flaws. I am now wondering what might happen if I take the current delrin top off and replace it with acrylic or plywood. I would leave the very bottom piece of delrin, along with the stacked cores as delrin, but I could shift the tone to some degree by altering the top layer.
    Complete table with player in place Close up of stack of cores through center with motor on top complete table with no table
    Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

OK, I made a little update. I took the corian top layer and replaced it with 1/2" acrylic. I was finding the playback with 2 layers or corian while clear, precise, good with bass and layering of instruments to be a little etched. Too much grain in the record was being magnified. The acrylic is definitely smoother. It is subtle, but enough to make a difference in a positive way. The presentation is still very, very quiet. Bass is deep and full. I might say the punch is ever so softer. The highs are what benefit. They are still very clear and extended, but have a touch softer presentation that got rid of that etched edge. This design is also far better than wood alone. The wood was much softer, presented a lot less bass and did not allow the soundstage to locate.

The black dots in the photo are the small dots of double sided tape I use to hold the 2 pieces in alignment, and to make a very small gap between the layers.
    Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

Very cool! Thanks for sharing Rex!
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Rex brought over his table to my place yesterday and it sounded great. Kudos. The mod is a very clever design and very inexpensive. The remote motor mounting provides a substantial performance increase. I thought the design change accomplishes much of what the more complex and expensive Roksan Xerxes does. See comparison diagrams below:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Turntable Diagram - Rex Remote Motor Mount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	44280
        Last edited by Joe Pittman; 02-21-2017, 06:37 PM.
        Reference Room 1, Reference Room 2, Office System

Comment

Thanks Joe. FYI, the motor is mounted on the corian. There is a whole through the acrylic. The acrylic plate the Rega rest on is isolated as your design shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
            Thanks Joe. FYI, the motor is mounted on the corian. There is a whole through the acrylic. The acrylic plate the Rega rest on is isolated as your design shows.
            I was going to suggest something along the same lines but you came up,with an alternative elegant solution too. Totally separate the motor from what the table is sitting on!

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I revised the sketch. Is this correct? In any case, I didn't realize the acrylic and corian were intended to be totally decoupled, this is better and closer to the Roksan Xerxes two layer isolation concept. Excellent. I was going to give you some FoQ damping material to play with, it is a very high-tech constrained layer damping material you might try between the acrylic and corian. I'll give you some next time I see you.
              Reference Room 1, Reference Room 2, Office System

Comment

Yes the sketch is correct now. I am very satisfied with the results. With the TT a blend of corian and acrylic, I was able to put the corian back under my Preamp. I find it now gives a higher degree of clarity and layering of sound without being etched. Too much corian is just that. Used in the correct amount and right places, it really brings out a new level of resolution. I have some more of both material and want to try them under my Phone preamp as well. At the moment that extra 1/2" will take my preamp to close to the top of my rack and cut off the air circulation to the tubes. Maybe another time.

Comment

Owe yea, someone just told me on Rega TT, dial the vertical tracking force dial to as far off as possible. That means turning it past 3. You could pull out the spring if you wanted, but it sounds like it does not go back in so well. The spring inside actually acts as a damper on the whole suspension. I did as such, then spent about 10 to 15 minutes trying to get the weight back to 2.5 grams. That was difficult. Once done, there was actually a tad bit more air and crispness to the sound. Another little trick I learned. I am actually completely blown away at how good vinyl sounds now. I never new. I heard nice setups at other people houses, but once you make it come alive in your own system, you just don't know.
                  Last edited by Kingrex; 02-23-2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

So after pulling the spring from my RB303 tonearm, I don't really like the sound. Its too bright for me. Fatiguing. Kind of made my ears hurt. Bummer. There is no way to replace a spring unless you have a machine shop and a press. Could also be symmetry with the cartridge, but its a Denon with a Midas aluminum head shell. Anyhow, kind of bummed I went backwards. I was very happy with the original changes. The spring in the VTF acted as a damper, but maybe that helps their presentation.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Need an unlike or sad button.

I bought a Vertere SG-1 to replace the Rega arm.

Comment

Just a little update on the RP6. I have messed with the base. I have tried 2 layers of Corian with a top layer of Acrylic. Made no improvement. I actually did not like it as much as 1 layer of Corian and 1 layer of Acrylic as noted above.
                      I have the Vertere SG-1 installed. This is a large improvement over the Rega RB303. It does not have as much bass, but I would say the bass is better. The Rega came off a little bloated once I had the Vertere on to compare. The Vertere also has much better wire in it, as well as the strap connecting it to my phono preamp. I bought the tone arm cable from
                      www.back-promo.co.uk . I like the quality for the price. I spent about $270 on the cable.

Due to my music server, I have been fiddling around with isolation. I am not rich, so I DIY. I have taken little chunks of Corian or Acrylic, put a dimple in them then set a duramite bead on top. I put the chunk of corian on a piece of loose felt. Not the type with adhesive on the back. This is quite an improvement in sound stage, tonal balance etc. I am surprised what you get for about $1 a piece. This has carried over to my TT. Hence the latest version. I now have a Corian base with the motor mounted to it as above. I have now drilled a small hole though the Corian and into the Acrylic. I just clamped the 2 together to drill the hole in the same spot on both plates. Then I reamed the hole a little. Now I have a duromite bead between the two plates. see photo. This is by far the best iteration. Immediately I noticed the sound stage jump out at me. I also hear a lot less noise. Putting your ear on the plinth you find it is much more quiet.

Since doing a lot of these updates I have had a couple friends and dealers listen to my setup. All favor my vinyl over my music server. The music server is great. Its $10K in server and DAC. Its more quiet and clear. The vinyl wins due to its natural harmonic toe tapping pleasantness. Its hard to describe till you hear it. Not bad since I have less money in my Vinyl setup than I do in my digital setup.

All in all I have invested about $500 into my stock RP6 to take it to levels way above what a stock unit can do. Then there is the Vertere arm. That cost a few thousand, but doing the table mods I have done along with say upgrading the wire in an RB303 tone arm will take this player where not other RP6 has gone before. There really is no comparison between this and a stock unit.

Comment

Just a little update on the RP6. I have messed with the base. I have tried 2 layers of Corian with a top layer of Acrylic. Made no improvement. I actually did not like it as much as 1 layer of Corian and 1 layer of Acrylic as noted above.
                        I have the Vertere SG-1 installed. This is a large improvement over the Rega RB303. It does not have as much bass, but I would say the bass is better. The Rega came off a little bloated once I had the Vertere on to compare. The Vertere also has much better wire in it, as well as the strap connecting it to my phono preamp. I bought the tone arm cable from
                        www.back-promo.co.uk . I like the quality for the price. I spent about $270 on the cable.

Due to my music server, I have been fiddling around with isolation. I am not rich, so I DIY. I have taken little chunks of Corian or Acrylic, put a dimple in them then set a duramite bead on top. I put the chunk of corian on a piece of loose felt. Not the type with adhesive on the back. This is quite an improvement in sound stage, tonal balance etc. I am surprised what you get for about $1 a piece. This has carried over to my TT. Hence the latest version. I now have a Corian base with the motor mounted to it as above. I have now drilled a small hole though the Corian and into the Acrylic. I just clamped the 2 together to drill the hole in the same spot on both plates. Then I reamed the hole a little. Now I have a duromite bead between the two plates. see photo. This is by far the best iteration. Immediately I noticed the sound stage jump out at me. I also hear a lot less noise. Putting your ear on the plinth you find it is much more quiet.

Since doing a lot of these updates I have had a couple friends and dealers listen to my setup. All favor my vinyl over my music server. The music server is great. Its $10K in server and DAC. Its more quiet and clear. The vinyl wins due to its natural harmonic toe tapping pleasantness. Its hard to describe till you hear it. Not bad since I have less money in my Vinyl setup than I do in my digital setup.

All in all I have invested about $500 into my stock RP6 to take it to levels way above what a stock unit can do. Then there is the Vertere arm. That cost a few thousand, but doing the table mods I have done along with say upgrading the wire in an RB303 tone arm will take this player where not other RP6 has gone before. There really is no comparison between this and a stock unit.
                        congrats on the new arm!

I'm kinda surprised by your comment about the bass of the Vertere vs. the Rega arm.

Comment

I would swap the Rega back to confirm but I pulled the spring out and the VTF is all over the place. The spring was a damper. The tone arm cable is also broken. Don't take my bass comment the wrong way. Joe P was here and said he liked the bass. It is good bass. I believe I have a better tonal ballance from top to bottom with the Vertere. All in all I have never had a better sounding analog setup. I was going to create a post the other day stating I was angry my analog was so good because I like the variety that is available through my server. Then I went to the Diana Krall concert here in Seattle. The day after the show I put her Live in Paris album on via Tidal. I found myself not thinking about the sound, just immersed in the music. Even tapping my foot and bobbing my head. I think that's what were all looking for.

Comment

Working...
                          X