No announcement yet.

RP6 hot rodded with remote motor mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or just keep one motor with duel pully and the Rega PS. Or the Rega motor with, duel pulley and Phoenix PS and Tach.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...ner-tachometer

I am probably going to get a Michael Lim acrylic plinth. I will keep my multi stack. My thinking is Vertere uses acrylic. I will keep my tripple stack. I may mount the arm on the second sheet between the top holding the bearing and bottom holding the motor. I wonder what to call my table at that point.
    Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Phoenix shut down about 14 months ago so finding a Falcon PS and Roadrunner tach is nigh on impossible now.

Comment

Double pulley and two belts! Everyone who has ever taken their second belt of the P9 /Rp10 has said the same thing: The sound took a Hit...

Comment

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Is a double pulley good or bad?
          Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
            I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Is a double pulley good or bad?
            I'm pretty sure he said it was a good thing.
            SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs, and a pair of JBL 4345 speakers.

Comment

Well, I bought a 3/4" slab of acrylic to make my plinth. Since my setup is already a tipple stack, I am going to mount an arm board on the center sheet so the arm is separate from the plinth and motor. Since the arm I am using is a Vertere, I should call the whole project a Rexere.

Comment

Well, there is not much of the Rega left. After upgrading my digital setup, I understood how poor the analog really was in my system. There was a little shout and a lot of mid range bloat in the play. I will admit, a good portion may have been due to the Denon 103R with Midal aluminum head shell. Maybe not. That cartridge is at the Sound Smith. I asked he asses if first. Maybe I will see it again, maybe not. I hear some Denon are just ok, and others quite good. If the motor does not perform well I may toss it.

Anyhow, I decided the arm on my TT is Vertere. They make an all acrylic TT for this arm, so why shouldn't I. I purchased a 3/4" sheet of acrylic and went to work. Then stopped work as I realized I had the wrong tools. You just cant drill a strait hole with a hand tool. I tried one of those guides that is suppose to keep you vertical. Did not work. Then I took it to a friends house with a drill press. He said his tool was accurate. Maybe it was, but it was not tuned. The holes came out tilted. Then I bought my own drill press. Of course the quill was flopping all around in the guide but the bearings were good. I had to drill out the head of my new/used drill press, tap the holes and insert nylon bolts. Now the quill is dead solid in the guide. Next I had to use a pretty high end square to make sure the drill was strait to the table. Last night I put the last holes into the acrylic to finish it off. The extra holes are from my first tries. Maybe they are good. They might reduce resonances.

If you notice, there are 4 small holes around the tone arm. I still intend to cut out the rectangle that holds the arm and mount it to the acrylic plate that the TT stands on. That would put the motor on the bottom of 3, the tone arm on the 2nd of 3, and the platter on the third of 3. Actually, the motor is going to end up on its own piece of 6"x4"x1" steel base. I will cut out the Corian base and put the steel base on the stand to isolate the motor sound even further. What I have done so far did a lot to isolate the motor noise. I get why Rega mounts the motor on the plinth for ease of use. However it sure transmits a lot of sound to the needle when mounted there. It just goes right into the plinth, up the bearing, through the record and it the needle. It is just so much more quiet with the motor mounted remote.

I don't have a cartridge yet. Maybe Solypsa will bring a Sensitive Sound by. It sounds like an interesting cartridge. I should have the Denon back one day with the Ruby cantilever and optimized line contact diamond. That should be a totally different sound.

That comment just made me think of something. Everyone here is so into purity of the equipment chain. Nothing is suppose to add color, just transmit what is on the medium. Why then would cartridge sound different. I wonder if the heads on tape decks also sound different? Things that make you go Hmmmm.

Once I get a cartridge I will be able to report on sound and whether it is getting anywhere near what my Digital is capable of. Maybe it will surpass it. I have my fingers crossed.

Rex

Comment

Owe yea, I am waiting on a Double Pulley and silicone belt from Michael Lim. They are in transit.

Comment

Well, I did not have a cart in hand so I did more work. I have a 4 stack of material now. Th bottom piece is really a support for the base that holds the motor. The motor is now attached to a 8lb or so chunk of steel that sits on sheet one of corian. I then have 4 small stone beads between the base and another sheet of corian that is really just an isolator to the 3rd sheet of acrylic that now holds the tone arm. The top sheet of acrylic holds the bearing and platter. I have the Michael Lim duel pulley and silicone belts installed. Something I find interesting, with no belts attached, the motor is all but inaudible. You really cant hear it. With the belts on, the motor noise is minimal but more than I want to hear. I am currently reaching out to Lim to see if I can add a second bearing and go pulley to pulley to subplatter. 1 layer of belt isolation.
                    Hear are a couple pictures of the table.

Comment

Just a quick follow up. The cart was rebuilt by the Soundsmith. Eric with Solypsis came over and set it up. All shout and bloat is gone. Music is darn fine from it now. It surly does not sound like a Rega any more. I listened to an RP10 the other day and they are quite different. This is much more smooth and even in tone. Pretty flat I would say. It voices very similar to a digital file. The vocals are a little more recessed than digital. On Bob Marley this was a benefit. Just more easy going and nice. Maybe you could say the vinyl is correct and the digital is forward. This was through my RT Audio DAC, not the Mojo DAC.

I am not sure how much of what I hear is due to the arm. I kind of wish I still had the RB303. It would be more interesting to know what sound would be coming from it. Anyhow, I am very happy with it all now. it does what it is suppose to do. It plays very nice music.

Comment

Working...
                      X