Silencer Box for Tone Arm Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silencer Box for Tone Arm Compressor

This may have shown up in some of the pics of my system being installed in my new place in Austin, but the silencer box is now done, and I'm quite pleased with the result. Here are some pics that I'll explain:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	559.6 KB
ID:	57280 The box is set up in my cleaning area, a utility space adjacent to the listening room. The purpose of the box is to kill the sound of the air compressor, a medium sized SilAir with a 1/2 HP motor and a 6 gallon tank. Even the little suitcase one that came with the Airline arm was noisy, electrically and acoustically. I did buy a monster sized one, 1 HP, 13 gallon tank, but it was overkill. More in the next post.

The box itself is made of 5/8" particle board, two layers with green glue in between the layers. It is lined with sheets of melamine foam with a layer of mass loaded vinyl in between. Cut outs were made for the fans to exhaust and cool the unit. Here's a shot of the inside, where you can see the melamine/mass loaded vinyl lining: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	593.5 KB
ID:	57282

Comment

The fans and controller come from a company called AC Infinity- their products are nicely made and finished, can mount flush to cabinets (they even make one that sits over a component for cooling -not sure if it has the thermal probe and automatic fan adjustments that I installed, but the fans and controller look nice). I installed two fans on one side, intake at the bottom and exhaust at the top, in small boxes that form a 90 degree angle with the cut out in the main box. The small boxes are also green glued and lined with melamine foam. I also installed a flush mount blower on the other side that is wired as an exhaust fan, and pulls hot air out of the box. With the controller in place now (the little digital read out thing sitting on top of the box), the fans kick on at any temp I choose, with an alarm setting for high heat that can be set at a much higher temp than the fan trigger. Right now, I have the temp sensor in very close proximity to the motor head. Here are the fans on one side in their small boxes. The joins to the big box were sealed with an acoustic caulk: Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0471.JPG Views:	1 Size:	639.4 KB ID:	57284

Comment

Finally, here is a close up of the controller unit. You can see the various settings and what they do. The control panel happened to fit nicely between the silencer box and the stainless work surface above it: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	504.3 KB
ID:	57286

Comment

Serious business Bill! Wow.
          Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
          Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
          Tube Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
          SS Amplifier: Plinius SA-Reference
          Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
          Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
          Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
          Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
          Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
          Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener - Degritter Ultrasonic & VPI Cyclone RCM
          Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
          Tape Stage: Doshi V.3 Tape Stage
          CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5
          Streamer/Server: Aurender N30SA, Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO w/ Ediscreation Silver reference LAN cable
          DAC: Lampizator Golden Gate2

Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
          Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
          Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, Massif Audio Design, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

this is a timely thread as I'm building two air compressor enclosures, one for the pump that runs my Rockport arm, the other for the Versa 2.0 table/arm. I'm using 3/4" birch ply screwed together with internal baffles and a layer 3/4" sound damping foam on all interior surfaces (decoupler and absorber layer of open cell PVC foam w/ a foil membrane) the type used for quieting engine rooms on yachts. I went with a similar fan cooling system. I opted out of the PLC managed unit, mine has a simplified three position switch (low, med, high).

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
              this is a timely thread as I'm building two air compressor enclosures, one for the pump that runs my Rockport arm, the other for the Versa 2.0 table/arm. I'm using 3/4" birch ply screwed together with internal baffles and a layer 3/4" sound damping foam on all interior surfaces (decoupler and absorber layer of open cell PVC foam w/ a foil membrane) the type used for quieting engine rooms on yachts. I went with a similar fan cooling system. I opted out of the PLC managed unit, mine has a simplified three position switch (low, med, high).
              You and I always seem to be on similar quests. I know nothing about yachts, which is probably why I didn't think of that. The melamine mass loaded vinyl sheets were tres cher, but mass loaded vinyl, even in large rolls, is no bargain per foot. I got the controller because I didn't want the fans on 24/7, and yes, there is a little in-line switch on each fan, so once they are daisy-chained, and set to 'high', the last fan's switch, which I can access outside of the box, would permit me to shut it down. But, there were a couple of occasions already where I forgot. Thus, the controller. This wasn't a cheap project because I hired a guy from one of my contractors to cut and assemble it, with supervision by me. He was quite good at translating my ideas into form. One trick was the access panel- rather than a hinged door, the front panel drops into a slot at the bottom of the box (extending the bottom plate of the box to do this). It then latches tight with those rubber/stainless anti-vibration latches, which are apparently used on boats! This fucker is heavy too. The contractor estimated about 150 lbs without the compressor. I dunno. I'm not planning on moving it any time soon. You could bury me in this thing and never hear a peep (remember that whole thing about being buried alive which was a big concern in the late 19th century? They made little flags that could operate to signal if the dearly departed wasn't quite dead).

Comment

Looks awesome Bill!
                Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Perhaps the thread should be entitled "how far are we willing to go for air bearing arms!" 🤗

Been there but never done that!
                  Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                  Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                  -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                  -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                  -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                  -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                  -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                  -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                  -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                  -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                  -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                    Perhaps the thread should be entitled "how far are we willing to go for air bearing arms!" 🤗

Been there but never done that!
                    Yep, it adds an additional level of insanity to a normally rational pursuit.

Comment

Over the years, I have experienced increasing levels of noise from the compressor box that provides compressed air and vacuum to my Rockport turntable. Several months ago, the twenty year old GAST compressor failed and was replaced by a new unit; however, it quickly became obvious that the compressor was only a part of the problem and that the major contributor to the noise was the solenoid that opens and closes the drain where moisture collects after being removed by the refrigeration unit. Cutting to the chase, I replaced the solenoid with a manual valve which can be accessed from outside the compressor/refrigeration assembly with spectacular results in terms of lower noise. For those with the Rockport unit, I would suggest considering this to lower system noise. Note that my compressor is remotely located which also helps.
                      Last edited by fcrowder; 07-12-2017, 01:40 PM.
                      Rockport Sirius turntable, Lyra Atlas SL cartridge, Audio Note M9 SE Phono stage, Audio Note M10 (Signature) linestage, EMM Labs TX2/DA2 digital, Audio Note Balanced Kegon amps, EMM Labs MTRX amps, Acapella Triolons, Jorma Prime and Odin 2 cables, Stage 3 Kraken power cords, HB Marble Powerslave, Finite Elemente Pagode Reference stands and Cerabases, Halcyonics active isolation bases, HRS Equipment stand, Stillpoints Ultra 6 footers, Furitech cable isolators and plugs, Loricraft and Audiodesk vinyl cleaners, Yamaha CT7000 Tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by fcrowder View Post
                        Over the years, I have experienced increasing levels of noise from the compressor box that provides compressed air and vacuum to my Rockport turntable. Several months ago, the twenty year old GAST compressor failed and was replaced by a new unit; however, it quickly became obvious that the compressor was only a part of the problem and that the major contributor to the noise was the solenoid that opens and closes the drain where moisture collects after being removed by the refrigeration unit. Cutting to the chase, I replaced the compressor with a manual valve which can be accessed from outside the compressor/refrigeration assembly with spectacular results in terms of lower noise. For those with the Rockport unit, I would suggest considering this to lower system noise. Note that my compressor is remotely located which also helps.
                        Fred- none of the Silentaire compressors I've had--I'm on my third one-- had a simple tap at the bottom of the compressor for manually draining the unit. Instead, all relied on an "auto drain" mechanism topside, to feed the oily water that collected in the main tank into a bottle. In my estimation, this system doesn't work very well. Sil-Aire here in Houston has been wonderful in providing support. I think I can take the test to become a certified air compressor repair man. I don't have a cooler on the line.

Comment

the Versa 2.0 and 1.0 both use Gast pumps if not the exact same unit the Rockport Sirius has. both Versas have solenoids to drain the condensation when the 'table is powered down. you can hear it, sorta like a pop off valve. For my Rockport arm I use a Wilkerson filter-regulator off a Medo pump that I drain manually once a month (but I never find condensation). btw, these are medical grade pumps that are self lubricating and oil-less the filter is there only to trap condensation, and this is only an issue when the temperature gradient is significantly different from your listening room and the pump location. my versa runs 50' of both air pressure and vacuum line to the pump located in a cool space.

Comment

• fcrowder
                            fcrowder commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I have installed separate regulators for the arm and platter bearings as I have found that they prefer slightly different pressures. I located the compressor in a room adjacent to my listening room which is actually somewhat closer to the central AC unit. I do not get much moisture even after playing for an evening; however, I do get a tiny amount. Houston is a fairly humid environment even inside an air conditioned home.

• kcin
                            kcin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A friend of mine has a Mapleknoll Aridane. The supplied compressor is in a utility area of a basement while stereo setup is in a finished area of the basement. The entire area is climate controlled. I had been elected to provide set up and trouble shooting for his table. A bit of a nightmare as the table sounds good but the finish and tolerances are not milspec. There is a definite gradient in temperature between the utility area and the listening room even though they are climate controlled. This difference can produce condensation in the line that has to be dealt with- before we set up filters for the unit the arm would skip tracks etc... if observed closely I eventually saw a fine mist of condensation emitting from the arm. I set up proper filters and condensate traps. Also the provided upgraded compressor is a industrial oil bath type that can contaminate the lines and arm if not dealt with properly. Add some air storage buffer tanks and 100' of hose and sometimes I wonder if the complexity is worth the effort on this model..This table is one of the last produced by Mapleknoll. Every time my friend threatens to sell it.. I offer to buy it.. go figure.

• Bill Hart
                            Bill Hart commented
                            Editing a comment
                            kcin--my constant nagging problems are usually the compressor. And every time I go through some issue, I swear I'm gonna change arms. But, I don't.
                            Fred- how big/powerful is your compressor and what kind of pressures are you dealing with?

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
                          What kind of pressure are you talking about Rob?
                          The Sil-Aires have a condensate trap at the regulator, and per Kuzma, a second set of filters at the point of use, i.e., right before the feed to the tone arm. You can hear the motor (which does have oil) kick on, and it hums (motor noise) until the tank is topped off, The auto drain is adjustable for interval and duration of the draining action; it has that pop/blow off sound when it activates. I used to also have problems with the electrical zap of the compressor motor transmitting to the audio signal, but that problem was put to bed a while ago.
                          45 and 65 PSI (tone arm, platter bearing). Yours uses a pressure switch that shuts off the motor when it reaches a predetermined pressure setting. the solenoid valve we're talking about simply dumps condensation from the filter. its an automatic feature rather than manually opening the dain valve usually at the bottom of the filter bowl. it's always good Idea to have a second trap close to the 'arm.

the Versa and Rockport both sourced their annular-type air bearings from Professional Instruments, the airgap is on the order of a few microns. the platter bearing is assembled in a class 10,000 clean room. The kuzma bearing is actually sourced from New Way Air Bearing here in the States: http://www.newwayairbearings.com/pro...metric-20mm-id

New Way specifys 60-80 PSI, what does Kuzma's manual state?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

45 and 65 PSI (tone arm, platter bearing). Yours uses a pressure switch that shuts off the motor when it reaches a predetermined pressure setting. the solenoid valve we're talking about simply dumps condensation from the filter. its an automatic feature rather than manually opening the dain valve usually at the bottom of the filter bowl. it's always good Idea to have a second trap close to the 'arm.

the Versa and Rockport both sourced their annular-type air bearings from Professional Instruments, the airgap is on the order of a few microns. the platter bearing is assembled in a class 10,000 clean room. The kuzma bearing is actually sourced from New Way Air Bearing here in the States: http://www.newwayairbearings.com/pro...metric-20mm-id

New Way specifys 60-80 PSI, what does Kuzma's manual state?
                            Right, mine has that auto drain function too. I don't think it works very well. Kuzma is 65 psi at the compressor or arm, can't remember. I checked when I set it up again.

Comment

Working...
                            X