No announcement yet.

Silencer Box for Tone Arm Compressor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WoW - looks like you did a really nice job. It looks like a little safe. (My wife would look and say "can't you put it in the garage.") I've been surprised at how effective is the green glue. And a nice little utility area - love the stainless steel top. When we moved to our "downsized house" I lost my cleaning room though the dedicated space I'm using now does have a small sink. Looking forward to pictures of your listening room once its ready. Vaguely recalling you're now on the top floor?

Clueless about air-bearing arms, I'll ask how much playing time do you get from the 6 gallon(?) tank before the compressor kicks in - or is it always on when using the arm?
    Spkr: Wilson Alexias; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 1.5; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata ╬×tron Anaconda PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton II, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class XL plus2 amp stands, Stillpoints 5s under spkrs; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
      WoW - looks like you did a really nice job. It looks like a little safe. (My wife would look and say "can't you put it in the garage.") I've been surprised at how effective is the green glue. And a nice little utility area - love the stainless steel top. When we moved to our "downsized house" I lost my cleaning room though the dedicated space I'm using now does have a small sink. Looking forward to pictures of your listening room once its ready. Vaguely recalling you're now on the top floor?

Clueless about air-bearing arms, I'll ask how much playing time do you get from the 6 gallon(?) tank before the compressor kicks in - or is it always on when using the arm?
      The compressor goes into "sleep" mode when I shut off a little valve at the tonearm. At that point, there is no "load" on it drawing air, so the compressor doesn't need to top off very often--as far as I can tell, there are no leaks in the line--maybe 50 feet or so, and no real loss of pressure between the gauge at the regulator on the compressor side and the tiny gauge built into the arm itself. When I play, i simply turn the valve at the arm and I'm in business. I haven't clocked the intervals when the compressor tops off- this one has a 6 gallon reservoir- which means it has more capacity before it runs out of air, but the way these are designed, they still top off regularly to keep the tank at a predetermined level. I previously had one with a 13 gallon tank and two motors, but that thing was not only noisy but sucked current like a mother (1 hp). So the compressor is always 'on' even when the system is not playing, but the motor isn't very active unless I am drawing air.
      Yep, on the top floor with the main system and getting it closer to good. I'm not hearing any harshness in the high frequencies either, though I haven't gotten to the proverbial 200 hours of actual playing time on the iso-transformer.
      It was cool to see the box come together. The mass loaded vinyl is really effective as a sound deadener. It is essentially like lead, but in sheets of very heavy thin plastic. Sandwich it between studs with a little "give" (not taut) and put dry wall over it, and it is probably more effective than two courses of drywall with green glue. On this I did both- two walls green glued, then melamine sandwich with mass loaded vinyl. It is a tad heavy, though.

Comment

Working...
      X