Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Didn't like any audio rack I found so I built my own.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't like any audio rack I found so I built my own.

First piece I finished is the Turntable Rack. Also in the process of building a Low AV Table for the rest of my equipment and a shelf for my center speaker. Sapele mahogany and yes I built it. It turned out very well even if i do say so.
    Turntable AV Rack
    Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, OPPO BDP 105D, VPI Prime w/Stainless Steel Record Center Weight, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Sutherland 20/20, VPI ADS Analog Drive System, Legacy Audio Signature SE, Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD, Legacy Audio Deco, Legacy Audio Metro XD, Audio Desk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner Pro

Looks just great. Nice carpentry work! How do you like the Emotiva pre and XPA-5 amp? I've got one of the latter in my home theater setup, and it's always seemed to be an excellent performer, especially for the money.
    Dynavector XX-2MK2, VPI JMW 10.5i, VPI Aries, VPI SDS, ModWright PH-150 Reference Phono, Sony HAP-Z1ES server, McIntosh C2300, McIntosh MC352, Vandersteen 5A, PS Audio P10, Bright Star Audio Rack of Gibraltar. Cables: Shunyata Cobra Ztron IC, PS Audio Statement AC, Synergistic Research AC, Harmonic Tech Silver Phono, Cable Research Labs Silver IC, Audioquest Gibraltar bi-wire.

Comment

I could not be happier with the Emo's. You can spend more but better? I know that is a loaded comment but I am very happy with all of my equipment and it sounds excellent to me.
      Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, OPPO BDP 105D, VPI Prime w/Stainless Steel Record Center Weight, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Sutherland 20/20, VPI ADS Analog Drive System, Legacy Audio Signature SE, Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD, Legacy Audio Deco, Legacy Audio Metro XD, Audio Desk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner Pro

Comment

Some really fine woodworkingDid you create the decorative work on the support columns? Did you hear any change in your sound with the new rack?

Comment

• JazzBluesMan
          JazzBluesMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Evidently having a solid base really does make a difference. Played Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" and Santana "Abraxas" last night and wow. Bass is noticeably deeper and everything seems tighter.

All designed and built by little ol me. I have an extensive woodworking shop including 5 axis CNC. Have not done critical listening yet (will be doing some tonight). I built it to be modular and solid so hoping for the best.

Comment

Excellent!
          Mahogany is my favorite wood, it looks like you sprayed on a lacquer finish, just a first class piece.

Comment

Thank you! Two coats of Danish Oil and 12 coats of Armor Seal all applied by hand. Spraying would have been easier but not with an oil based finish.

Comment

The rack really looks nice. I wish I had those skills.
              [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Very nice indeed!
                Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RLS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC with (2) 10.5 Arms and Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Ortofon A-95 and Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 for SACD / Bricasti M1 DAC for Redbook - Tascam 42B Refurbished - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - SCA Vesuvius II Enhanced Power Cords - Custom Furutech Interconnects/speaker cables - VPI 16.5 RCM - Assorted Shun Mook magic

Comment

To be perfectly honest I really didn't think that a rack would have much if any effect on the sound. After Herbie Hancock - Gershwin's World, Bill Evans - Explorations, Melody Gardot - Currency of Man, and Pink Floyd - Division Bell It appears I was misinformed. Bass is noticeably deeper and everything seems more defined. If I hear new sounds on an album I play often I call that a win. The top is 23"x23"x1.75" Sapele, I thought that mass would give a stable platform for the turntable and it seems to have worked. This replaced a Bell'O audio tower metal frame with glass shelves, that might be part of the difference. I do not claim to be an expert in the audio world. Music is a very personal thing and what one person thinks is great is garbage to another.

Comment

Working...
                  X