I'm hearing rumors so I bought one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm hearing rumors so I bought one

I was talking with Tom Tutay about building my crossover. During our chat he said I have to try a new class D amp he was introduced to. He said it stood everything he knew about amp design on its head. He and a few other bought it and have not gone back to tubes yet. Best of all, its $174 complete shipped to your door. Allo Volt +D amp. Get the complete amp in the acrylic case with resistor volume pot. The 60x60 watt. Not the stand alone $39 board. The board is different and does not sound as good.

I just ordered mine. Why not. If its great then it will end up driving my woofers and the Casablanca will drive the mid\high.

FYI, it does not work well with a preamp unless you remove the pot and do some work to bring up the impedance .

Also, in 3 or so months 100 watt monoblocks will be available.

Also, I was hung up on the power supply for a while. In the end my reading said a $20 smps works best. Im sure you will research too. If I really like it I may get a medical grade SMPS to reduce noise back into my system.

PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Thanks for the tip. I just got asked to spec out a sub $2k system for a friend of a friend....may have to give this a try.
    Regards,

Erik
    http://solypsa.com
    North American distributor for:
    Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
    STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

When I have it you can come over and take a listen. It should be here in about five or six days.
      PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
      Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

• solypsa
        solypsa commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do!

On using it as an amplifier on its own, the people at Allo said: "You can use it as it is with 0 step attenuation" So apparently it can be used as an bare bones amp.
      JLH

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanhorwich View Post
        On using it as an amplifier on its own, the people at Allo said: "You can use it as it is with 0 step attenuation" So apparently it can be used as an bare bones amp.
        Maybe with a SS preamp, but Tom Tutay said its input impedance is too low for most tube preamp to drive correct. If I like it and want to really use it, he pulls the attenuator and does something to bring up the impedance to better match a tube pre..

Stereo Maraschino amplifier

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=158755.0

Here is another low cost class D amp. It seems these are really coming around as far as performance to price. This audiocircle "review" seems positive. What I really wonder is how one of these would fair compared to a lower power Pass like the XA30 or XA25.

Comment

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=162775.0

Here is another fun read on an inexpensive class D amp and how they are faring. I'm sort of following this guy's journey a couple of paces behind. I'm in the lower power tube amplifiers now. I am hoping to bi amp my pure audio project speakers to have the more glorious mid-range distortion from the tubes in the mid/high driver yet have the sweet clear controlled presentation in the woofers via SS.

Comment

Absolutely stunning. Even my wife said the best sound we ever had from our system. That includes the Altec, Ampsandsound, CJ, VAC,Rega. I have to really listen more but WOW. And, absolutely silent. Not a whisper of Buzz I have been plagued with for years.

Comment

Wife always knows best. Seriously

I'll stop by soon...let me know when is good.

I'm a tube guy but this is exciting...
              Regards,

Erik
              http://solypsa.com
              North American distributor for:
              Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
              STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

Now that I have had time to listen this is more in line with what I hear.

Its very nice for the money. A no brainer for anyone wanting to get into stereo. I will recommenced it to a couple friends. It does a very good job for something so simple and lights. There is absolutely no buzz coming from anything, speakers or unit. Will it replace my Casablanca tube amps, no. It does not have the same weight and percussion. The bass is linear and tight but lacks a little body and strength. While it is super super quiet, it does have a sleigh cloaking. Not much by any means and less than other units I have heard. Tonally it is surprisingly accurate. Instruments and voices sound very convincing. I mean, really, its pretty quite stunning for such a small inexpensive piece. If I wasn't such a weird audio fanatic I could be very satisfied with this in place of the $12K in amps and preamps I am currently running. Any younger person building a life and career would find this a perfect venue to enjoy music in a condo or apartment. Even a modest house, provided its pared with the right speaker. I would surmise this unit pared with the full Apple Pi DAC system would provide a complete playback system with a basic set of speakers. It is only single input so pick your source.

I have not taken any time to evaluate if this unit is sensitive to power or the signal cables feeding it. I am streaming to it with a Full Mojo Audio digital setup. I have Genesis interconnects between the two. I had to go back to my Graditech Lumi 1 speaker cables with banana connectors. My Inakustik with spades do not work. I don't think any spades will mount to this amp. Not unless I cut away the acrylic burying them. These Graditech speaker cables don't have near the weight as the Inakustik so maybe that is influencing my perception of the weight and power of playback. I am playing through Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with Voxativ speakers that have had the crossover upgraded with quality caps and chokes.

In conclusion it does a whole lot right. Its easy to listen to. It does not have any digital glare at modest listening levels. It does not ask me to turn it up. It seems to have a pleasant sweet spot on the volume. Somewhere at a place where conversation can be had with other people. Not so much a turn it up and be fully immersed. Is it better than others amps I have had here, I don't think so, but my wife really likes it. Maybe she is a SS type person. Of course she was pretty happy listening to the ARC REF 160 powering Wilson Sasha the other night. This little thing would not touch that performance. But its also a lot less than $30K.

Comment

This silly little amp is really quite nice. I saw a post by Jazzdoc on some classical by Haydn and Mozart. I have been playing it for days as its very pleasing. The whole thing. The volume level has opened up more. I can play it louder and still have it pleasant. It really makes me wonder about SS as more a option in my system. If anyone has been questioning whether they want SS or tube, this little amp is a minimal cost product to insert and see how it makes you feel.

I get my preamp back in a couple weeks so I will have a chance to put tubes back in and see what stirs in me. Unfortunately I have to send the Allo out to be modified to take a tube preamp on the input. In all honesty its good enough I am considering just getting the 100 watt monoblocks by Allo when they come out and setting them up for a tube preamp.

I think I got another friend to purchase the amp. He does a lot of blogging in Taiwan. Hes thinking of taking the Allo unit and building it into a copper chassis to see how shielding it work. Will be interesting to hear his results.

Comment

Just a little follow-up on this Allo amp. It really is impressive for the price. It has decent total accuracy. It's pretty balanced up and down the frequency range and has good drive for such a diminutive little box.

I did notice the following after having it in my system for a couple weeks. You know how a song comes on the radio and draws you into the room to really listen. Well, with the Allo, I might go and sit, but I would quickly get up and leave as there was nothing gripping me about the play back. It might even be said it drives you out of the room. But, there is a lot more going on in my room between the speaker and room itself causing playback issues. I would not aim my finger at the Allo and say that is the root by any means.

My First Sound preamp is back from being upgraded with a second power supply making it a true 2 Channel mono preamp. The performance upgrade is as usual astounding. One of the first things I noticed when putting it back into my system was the Allo, tonally was pretty good. I don't necessarily know how to word what the First Sound combined with my Ampandsound Casablanca Amps do different, but it's musically engaging and plants you firnly in your seat where you don't want to leave. You just keep playing music as its engrossingly enjoyable. As the First Sound is breaking in, I am noticing the tonal accuracy combined with decay of notes makes differentiating individual instruments in playback much easier. Subtle instrumental notes pop out and leave you somewhat mezmorized how beautiful and skilled the musicians working them are. There is no way the Allo could touch the performance of my reference equipment. But all in all, anyone wanting a inexpensive yet quality piece of equipment for such a small entry fee should be very happy with what the Allo amp does. Just don't forget it only has one input. That may not be such a bad thing for a person who might put a Apple phi in front of it and use it exclusively for streaming playback.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
                      I was talking with Tom Tutay about building my crossover. During our chat he said I have to try a new class D amp he was introduced to. He said it stood everything he knew about amp design on its head. He and a few other bought it and have not gone back to tubes yet. Best of all, its $174 complete shipped to your door. Allo Volt +D amp. Get the complete amp in the acrylic case with resistor volume pot. The 60x60 watt. Not the stand alone $39 board. The board is different and does not sound as good.

I just ordered mine. Why not. If its great then it will end up driving my woofers and the Casablanca will drive the mid\high.

FYI, it does not work well with a preamp unless you remove the pot and do some work to bring up the impedance .

Also, in 3 or so months 100 watt monoblocks will be available.

Also, I was hung up on the power supply for a while. In the end my reading said a $20 smps works best. Im sure you will research too. If I really like it I may get a medical grade SMPS to reduce noise back into my system.
                      Is this it https://www.allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-d-amp.html
                      Chris
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------
                      Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

• Kingrex
                        Kingrex commented
                        Editing a comment
                        yes
                    Working...
                    X